• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows 10 download and install?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Windows finishes downloading Win10, does it automatically install it?
Can I make it not do that? I saw someone say something about saving it to a disk as an image and installing from that. I want things on my terms. Not fucking Windows forcing the issue.

Thanks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you have choices. Once it downloads it prompts you to start the process. You can choose to do so, or do it later, or never do it if that's what you want.

I have upgraded about a dozen machines so far and for my money having the download image and doing it from that is the best way. I have all of the flavors on thumbdrive and it's so easy to do. Other than a few machines taking upward of an hour to update, none have had any issues. Software and data untouched and working fine. Most of them require you reinstall your updated version of whatever anti-virus you are using and that's really the only software I've had to mess with.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you have choices. Once it downloads it prompts you to start the process. You can choose to do so, or do it later, or never do it if that's what you want.

I have upgraded about a dozen machines so far and for my money having the download image and doing it from that is the best way. I have all of the flavors on thumbdrive and it's so easy to do. Other than a few machines taking upward of an hour to update, none have had any issues. Software and data untouched and working fine. Most of them require you reinstall your updated version of whatever anti-virus you are using and that's really the only software I've had to mess with.

My Windows update screen open. The one where it lists all your update files to be downloaded and installed. I can't figure how to post a screen shot here. It finished downloading. It says downloading Windows 10. Checking requirements. Will I be prompted to have it install or to do it later? Or is it trying to install now? I stopped the process because I'm not ready to install. Sorry for all the questions.

dp_broncos

Possibly Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done a bunch of the upgrades. Have yet to run into a single issue. Let MS do it's thing, they actually got it right for once....

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had one issue, where Windows 10 wouldn't install, and it had to roll back. Was on my wife's new Mac Pro, running Boot Camp. A second try worked perfectly though. No issues of any kind on my other machines.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's finally time to upgraded to Win 10. I have a 8GB thumb drive. How do I save 10 to it? I have three drives installed. I want to do it myself, so it doesn't accidentally install it on the wrong drive.

Thanks

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's finally time to upgraded to Win 10. I have a 8GB thumb drive. How do I save 10 to it? I have three drives installed. I want to do it myself, so it doesn't accidentally install it on the wrong drive.

Thanks
Windows 10
Click on download the USB/DVD ISO tool and run it. It will ask you where to put the ISO and just pick your thumb drive and it will download and set it up. Follow instructions from there.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Windows 10
Click on download the USB/DVD ISO tool and run it. It will ask you where to put the ISO and just pick your thumb drive and it will download and set it up. Follow instructions from there.

Windows 10 has already downloaded itself over a month ago. I don't know where it saved to. Can I save that and use it?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get the download tool and use that. No matter what you have to do an upgrade over your existing OS, at least the first time. You cannot do a clean install.

If you have the full install already setup you are free to use it. There is no risk of it doing anything to your other drives. It simply upgrades over your existing OS and moves the old one to Windows.old on the same drive. This leaves you able to roll back if there are any problems, however there have been very few issues with this roll out.

I have 4 drives on this system and have done several systems with multiple drives and haven't ever seen or heard of any issues in terms of doing something to a drive other than the one you are currently booting to.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really doesn't matter how you do it, nor if you use what they DL'ed already. Once you are past 30 days you want to run the disk cleanup utility and have it clean up system files and let it remove all of those old OS files and the install folders. It will clear up a lot of your hard drive.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disable your AV before installing it, but it probably won't matter if you don't. Either way, you may have to download an update for your AV. It's typically the only thing most people have that doesn't automatically update with the 10 install that needs some attention.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the clean install win10 on a USB flash drive.

I wonder if they have disabled it somehow for future installs.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit of a hassle to do a clean install without that image, but it's still doable. This clean image on my Samsung SSD has so far turned out to be very stable and super fast. Yeah, I had to do the first 8 pro/10 upgrade/activate, then clean install, but it's worth it.