• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the playoffs have an effect on the SEC dominance?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The basis of recently perceived SEC Dominance has been built upon the number of consecutive NC's won.

That's over now.

Next?
Well, that certainly as part of the dominance, but it also had to do with things like putting 5 out of 10 teams in the top 10 at the end of 2011, typically have 1/3 of the top 20 at the end of the season, the best bowl record, putting more players in the NFL than any other conference the past decade (and it isn't close), and regularly dominating the recruiting rankings. Hell, you claim the dominance was ended last year ... the SEC had 4 of the top 7 teams in the final poll, 6 of the top 20. If that is the end of conference dominance, I'm OK by that.

FWIW, I am a believer in college football being cyclical. I've been around long enough to see the strength of conferences wax and wane. Contrary to your post, the SEC will be strong for a while to come, but you do see the B1G as weak as its been in a long time, the BigXII is still trying to find an identity, yet the PAC is looking stronger and stronger with better and better coaches, and teams that are definitely on the upswing and the biggest challenge to the SEC. So, I think you are a little overly optimistic, but we shall see.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that certainly as part of the dominance, but it also had to do with things like putting 5 out of 10 teams in the top 10 at the end of 2011, typically have 1/3 of the top 20 at the end of the season, the best bowl record, putting more players in the NFL than any other conference the past decade (and it isn't close), and regularly dominating the recruiting rankings. Hell, you claim the dominance was ended last year ... the SEC had 4 of the top 7 teams in the final poll, 6 of the top 20. If that is the end of conference dominance, I'm OK by that.

FWIW, I am a believer in college football being cyclical. I've been around long enough to see the strength of conferences wax and wane. Contrary to your post, the SEC will be strong for a while to come, but you do see the B1G as weak as its been in a long time, the BigXII is still trying to find an identity, yet the PAC is looking stronger and stronger with better and better coaches, and teams that are definitely on the upswing and the biggest challenge to the SEC. So, I think you are a little overly optimistic, but we shall see.

Uh, my team is the best. Always has been and always will be, every single year. The only reason my team doesn't win a national championship every year is because all the other teams are a bunch of cheaters without morals. Their coaches just recruit a bunch of thugs and never kicks anyone important off the team. They sure as hell would never suspend a play for a game that matter. On top of that, the major networks and such are all in on a big conspiracy to prop up other teams falsely for money even knowing they don't play a single good team all year long because they are scared.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod:I'm gonna make this my sig line

Uh, my team is the best. Always has been and always will be, every single year. The only reason my team doesn't win a national championship every year is because all the other teams are a bunch of cheaters without morals. Their coaches just recruit a bunch of thugs and never kicks anyone important off the team. They sure as hell would never suspend a play for a game that matter. On top of that, the major networks and such are all in on a big conspiracy to prop up other teams falsely for money even knowing they don't play a single good team all year long because they are scared.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as there is more than one SEC team in the playoffs heads will explode, butts will hurt. This is gonna be awesome.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He forgot his sarcasm font, he was mocking the comments by the other conferences over the years.

Don't you go making that masterpiece of a post not real!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you go making that masterpiece of a post not real!

Just trying to bring you back down to earth, i knew you left the planet for a moment.:lol:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is absolutely true. All you have to do is look back through the decades. I've been around long enough to have seen it; youngsters only have to do a little research, and they'll see the same thing.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize this a horrible way to make a comparison? Just to make an example. Bama was #1 on your list, so lets look at last yr:
VT: 8-5
ColState: 8-6
TennChat: 8-4
GeorgiaState: 0-12

according to your data, FCS TennChat would have added the most to Bama's SOS..

I agree simple won/loss data is of limited use. Now how about putting it in context? I hope that you have a point in bring up those 4 games for BAMA. To whom are you comparing BAMA's OOC schedule? Again, without context this data is of little use. How about comparing BAMA's whole schedule to team x's whole schedule? Have you ever considered Notre Dame's schedule? How do you propose evaluating ND's schedule? Is it "fair" to compare ND's 12 games to Bama's 4 game OOC?

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one of them people who doesn't understand that ESPN hypes up the top teams no matter who they are?

Oh heavens far from it. I'm one of those people who see things without blinders. You know, like Bob Stoops does. Top teams isn't the topic at hand Sir. It's conferences. After we gassed against the TAMmies it sure was the narrative. The TAMmies got magickal SEC power real quick like. Remember?

In my near 40 years of following college football (used to run/collect parlay cards with my Dad for many years) I've never seen anything even remotely resembling this "BEST CONFERENCE" nonsense until ESPN/SEC inked the deal. Nobody ever gave a flying fuck before, it was all about your TEAM...now it's seemingly the norm. When was the first time you heard a crowd chanting a fucking conference name?

I'm a big boy and know how the world works. ESPN is going to toot whoever's horn that gives them the most bang for their buck.

You will see more coverage and slobbering of Miami/Chicago/Boston/L.A. than the Thunder every time. There's a reason for that, I'm not so naive that I don't understand markets. What makes you think that the same exact thing doesn't happen in CFB? Especially when they've signed exclusive broadcast deals with a specific conference?

You retract in horror just from the mention that your conference enjoys some media slant and favoritism. If there weren't any truth or basis to it, you wouldn't fucking care. I just want them to report the goddamn facts without the fucking spin...that's all. They have proven that they can't.

Deal with it. I have. I have no choice if I depend on ESPN for sports information, which I don't.

But the worm is turning, Sir. Little old Oklahoma in that shitty conference owned by texico will take care of itself regardless and there is recent proof of that.

/end Phyllis from Mulga-esque rant
BOOMER!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree simple won/loss data is of limited use. Now how about putting it in context? I hope that you have a point in bring up those 4 games for BAMA. To whom are you comparing BAMA's OOC schedule? Again, without context this data is of little use. How about comparing BAMA's whole schedule to team x's whole schedule? Have you ever considered Notre Dame's schedule? How do you propose evaluating ND's schedule? Is it "fair" to compare ND's 12 games to Bama's 4 game OOC?

No. I simply wanted to make sure we all agreed your data not the coupe de grace you pretended it to be. You can use computer rankings and get a much clearer picture.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh heavens far from it. I'm one of those people who see things without blinders. You know, like Bob Stoops does. Top teams isn't the topic at hand Sir. It's conferences. After we gassed against the TAMmies it sure was the narrative. The TAMmies got magickal SEC power real quick like. Remember?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with beating the eventual national champions during the regular season and their QB winning the Heisman.

:pound:

In my near 40 years of following college football (used to run/collect parlay cards with my Dad for many years) I've never seen anything even remotely resembling this "BEST CONFERENCE" nonsense until ESPN/SEC inked the deal. Nobody ever gave a flying fuck before, it was all about your TEAM...now it's seemingly the norm. When was the first time you heard a crowd chanting a fucking conference name?

Are you saying that conference strength just now started mattering? Really?

Are the NFL teams who draft sometimes more people from the SEC than the other conferences combined also in on this?

I'm a big boy and know how the world works. ESPN is going to toot whoever's horn that gives them the most bang for their buck.

Yeah, everyone who claims the world is out to get them says they know how the real world works.

You will see more coverage and slobbering of Miami/Chicago/Boston/L.A. than the Thunder every time. There's a reason for that, I'm not so naive that I don't understand markets. What makes you think that the same exact thing doesn't happen in CFB? Especially when they've signed exclusive broadcast deals with a specific conference?

Sure it happens in CFB, that's exactly what I said before. But there is a difference between claiming the media covers X team more than others, and then trying to claim the media is the reason for X teams success.

You retract in horror just from the mention that your conference enjoys some media slant and favoritism. If there weren't any truth or basis to it, you wouldn't fucking care. I just want them to report the goddamn facts without the fucking spin...that's all. They have proven that they can't.

What you are leaving out is that the media didn't just pull a conference and team out of a hat, and the SEC didn't just randomly get fan bases who cared.

Deal with it. I have. I have no choice if I depend on ESPN for sports information, which I don't.

Which is it?

But the worm is turning, Sir. Little old Oklahoma in that shitty conference owned by texico will take care of itself regardless and there is recent proof of that.

/end Phyllis from Mulga-esque rant
BOOMER!

And this is the funniest part of your whole thing. You are an Oklahoma fan!

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I simply wanted to make sure we all agreed your data was (sic) not the coupe de grace you pretended it to be. You can use computer rankings and get a much clearer picture.

No offense, but what are you talking about? What is your point in picking out the 4 games of Bama? How are they related to the data that I provided? Computer rankings will give a clearer picture of what? :gaah:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP has changed the thread. It's pretty obvious he called out the SEC for their OOC: "Outside of Alabama nobody in the conference really plays challenging non conference teams."

Several posters pointed out where he was wrong. He now says he is only talking about Bama, LSU and Auburn. Candidly, I have no idea what his post is about if he is only talking about Auburn, Bama, and LSU, it would be pretty easy to check the OOC for those 3 teams.

I think he is new to college football with limited historical reference, but hey, it's his thread. Moving along.

No, he's just a Sooner. They're all dumbfucks.......:yahoo: (except Goldbug, that dude is cool)

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but what are you talking about? What is your point in picking out the 4 games of Bama? How are they related to the data that I provided? Computer rankings will give a clearer picture of what? :gaah:
The pt was just to show how flawed your data was. Bama was just #1 on your list, so I looked at them. In 10 seconds you could easily see the cracks in the foundation of your argument. FCS team was valued higher than Virginia Tech. It was not a shot at a team or any attempt to compare teams, just at your methodology. Using computer rankings would fix that issue. Your method valued a 8-5 FCS team the same as 8-5 AQ team. Records are particularly poor way of comparing schedules, because they can not tell you the context. Simply not all 8 win teams are equal.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is the funniest part of your whole thing. You are an Oklahoma fan!

No the funniest part was punking your deep-fried asses in da Shoogah Bo!

BOOM!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pt was just to show how flawed your data was. Bama was just #1 on your list, so I looked at them. In 10 seconds you could easily see the cracks in the foundation of your argument. FCS team was valued higher than Virginia Tech. It was not a shot at a team or any attempt to compare teams, just at your methodology. Using computer rankings would fix that issue. Your method valued a 8-5 FCS team the same as 8-5 AQ team. Records are particularly poor way of comparing schedules, because they can not tell you the context. Simply not all 8 win teams are equal.

That's what I thought. Your 4 "pieces of data" DO NOT show what you think. Alabama is #1 in one category, "Number of games against teams with D1A winning records." That is "Number of games against teams with D1A winning records. Thus, FCS teams are NOT included!