• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

will Alex Smith get Kolb or Fitzpatrick money?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

smith is similar to shanahan and he doesn't have a qb. norv is familiar with smith and who knows whats going on with rivers.

to say there won't be interest in smith is dumb considering the lack of qb's out there.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith is similar to shanahan and he doesn't have a qb. norv is familiar with smith and who knows whats going on with rivers.

to say there won't be interest in smith is dumb considering the lack of qb's out there.

I didn't say there won't be any interest in Smith. To say teams will be clamoring for him afetr one half-decent year is dumb. Norv's QB just had a what 4500yds year? And while Shanahan may be desperate, he's not desperate enough. Shanny has tried retreading McNabb, Rexy and now Beck. You think he'll really put on the press to try again with Smith?

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony behind that is that Smith misread that coverage. According to Mangini, he read man to man when it was zone. If Delmas didn't kick a step outside on Walker it likely would've been a pick 6.

That could have easily been a Bobby Carpenter interception as well. I don't know what he was thinking on that play.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of the sure fire signs of the Apocolypse... Niner fans actually WANTING ton resign Alex

I knew this was coming and said so in the thread where people got all uptight about other posters pointing out Smith's weaknesses.
The time is not right to point out Smith's negatives but talking about resigning him is just fine anytime on this forum.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You think Norv would take Smith over Rivers?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just beliving Mangini that it was a misread or is there other evidence that it was a misread?

Mangini was on national television with actual film showing how Smith misread that play.

Is there any reason for us not to believe him at that point?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note, why was it a "very" poor read as opposed to a poor read. I'm not a fan of stronger depictions of things and that's why I ask. Was it obvious that it was zone by the formation? Was it obvious because of what defense they had been using up until that point? Was it obvious based upon what teams historically do in that situation? Was it a particular Detroit type of defense (to go zone)? Because for it to be a "very" poor read as opposed to a poor read, it would have to be one of those... or you simply like writing in stronger ways. You have repeatedly said things to the extreme, like Alex can't ever read a defense, has no pocket presence, etc. when saying that he does it rarely or poorly should suffice.

As for that it EASILY could have been something else, a lot of plays could easily be terrible. In hindsight, if Delmas knew that's where he was going, he would have easily changed his position, but in football, you have to guess sometimes, and my guess is that Harbaugh and Crew believed that to be a likely mistake by Delmas. If Delmas had gone inside (showed that he was going inside), perhaps Smith would have tried Crabtree? (Or held on and got sacked).

Are you seriously trying to argue semantics? Does it make that much of a difference in your world whether it was a "very poor read" or a "poor read"? I put the "very" in there because of the situation. 4th down and game on the line. 9 times out of that 10 that pass is either a PD or an INT.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and obviously we can go back and look a bunch of different plays from all teams that could have gone another way. But that's not the point. This is thread talking about extending Alex Smith. Had Smit not completed that pass then the win would not have overshadowed his poor play against the Lions, and I doubt maniax would've created this thread.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you seriously trying to argue semantics? Does it make that much of a difference in your world whether it was a "very poor read" or a "poor read"? I put the "very" in there because of the situation. 4th down and game on the line. 9 times out of that 10 that pass is either a PD or an INT.
Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and obviously we can go back and look a bunch of different plays from all teams that could have gone another way. But that's not the point. This is thread talking about extending Alex Smith. Had Smit not completed that pass then the win would not have overshadowed his poor play against the Lions, and I doubt maniax would've created this thread.

Thank goodness for that one time out of ten.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say there won't be any interest in Smith. To say teams will be clamoring for him afetr one half-decent year is dumb. Norv's QB just had a what 4500yds year? And while Shanahan may be desperate, he's not desperate enough. Shanny has tried retreading McNabb, Rexy and now Beck. You think he'll really put on the press to try again with Smith?

well to think there wont be interest in smith is dumb unless he starts playing horrible. smith is fairly similar to jake plummer and shanahan picked up plummer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and obviously we can go back and look a bunch of different plays from all teams that could have gone another way. But that's not the point. This is thread talking about extending Alex Smith. Had Smith not completed that pass then the win would not have overshadowed his poor play against the Lions, and I doubt maniax would've created this thread.

I'm not immune to it, as I do this sometimes, but I usually don't argue just semantics. I chalk this one up to being tired of the bye and having a bad day (separate from the fact that we were in a bye).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
someone didn't like it when i put this way, so apologies in advance............Alex Smith is playing well but its compared to himself. compared to top NFL QB's, he's not THAT good?

would he even be considered a 2nd tier NFL QB? while watching him yesterday (ALL game considered), my opnion is not yet.

obviously, its a win win if he resigns due to familiarity, but we aren't going to commit long term.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone didn't like it when i put this way, so apologies in advance............Alex Smith is playing well but its compared to himself. compared to top NFL QB's, he's not THAT good?

would he even be considered a 2nd tier NFL QB? while watching him yesterday (ALL game considered), my opnion is not yet.

obviously, its a win win if he resigns due to familiarity, but we aren't going to commit long term.

No need to apologize to anyone, Deep. Smith has been "good enough", not a good QB.

Ignore the ridiculous people who are saying Smith is a better option for SD than Rivers. That's just insane.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to apologize to anyone, Deep. Smith has been "good enough", not a good QB.

Ignore the ridiculous people who are saying Smith is a better option for SD than Rivers. That's just insane.

Thank goodness 'cuz I was convinced I was dumb! :rockon:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm going on the assumption something is wrong with rivers. specifically an arm problem that will require surgery

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm going on the assumption something is wrong with rivers. specifically an arm problem that will require surgery

Would Norm see him as a short term fill-in and long term backup or replacement for Rivers?
I am not sure Norm is going to make it through the year.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Norm see him as a short term fill-in and long term backup or replacement for Rivers?
I am not sure Norm is going to make it through the year.

the chargers could clean house, but i think norv would end up coaching somewhere. maybe dallas?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smith is just playing good but by no means great. Like I said earlier I would like to think he does have some room to improve with more time in the system and more time with guys like Crabtree and Edwards. A lot of throws especially to Crabtree feel more like the timing is off rather than it being a poor throw.

With all that said there really isn't a good reason to NOT resign him to a reasonable deal (barring an implosion later on this season).

The only scenario that it probably wouldn't make sense is if we were to land another veteran QB. But both CK and Tolzien are rookies and if by some off chance we were to trade for Luck it would make our QB roster even younger.

So at least with Smith on the roster you would at least have someone that would be a veteran presence and a viable backup that you know can manage and put you in position to win games.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the chargers could clean house, but i think norv would end up coaching somewhere. maybe dallas?

As an OC perhaps, I am not sure he gets another HC gig if he gets canned. In Dallas would they want Smith to replace Romo? That would surprise me.