• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

will Alex Smith get Kolb or Fitzpatrick money?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFL.com news: Bills' Fitzpatrick to sign six-year extension worth up to $60 million

Averages to about $10M/year.

Kolb and Fitzpatrick haven't won squat yet and Kolb is not playing well.

Do you think Alex will get such a contract out of the 49ers and when? Before the playoffs? After the playoffs?

Alex is eventually probably going to lose a game in the playoffs possibly @ GB, you think this will have a negative effect on the contract extension?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we hold off on re-signing Smith. There's no rush. If he continues to improve and is playing very well by year's end, then he's worth a bigger contract. Though I do expect he'd give the team some kind of home-team discount. If he continues to play the way he has, solid enough with some big plays when he needs them, then a multi-year contract at roughly his present rate is fine. That's only a bit more than good backup money anyway, and Kaepernick isn't too expensive.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After season we shall see. I don't see a loss vs GB negatively affecting his contract.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My perception is Baalke didn't want to re-sign Smith after last season, but Harbaugh talked him into it. There was that quote from Baalke talking about how it was obvious that there wasn't a franchisable QB on the roster. Alex Smith wasn't on the roster per say, since at that point he was already considered a free agent, but in the mind of casual fans I think he knew how a statement like that could be twisted and taken out of context.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baalke said that while Smith was still on the roster, before the lockout. I don't think Smith deserves 10 million a year, he isn't the star of the offense. He's just kind of the steward, and since the QB position is a little higher paid than the rest... I imagine if the 49ers bring him back he'll get around 6 or 7 million a year.

I would say he deserves an incentive based contract. The 6 or 7 million base, just because that is the price of a QB in the NFL and then bump it up to 10 million a year if he makes the probowl or wins a superbowl, you know?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Baalke said that while Smith was still on the roster, before the lockout. I don't think Smith deserves 10 million a year, he isn't the star of the offense. He's just kind of the steward, and since the QB position is a little higher paid than the rest... I imagine if the 49ers bring him back he'll get around 6 or 7 million a year.

I would say he deserves an incentive based contract. The 6 or 7 million base, just because that is the price of a QB in the NFL and then bump it up to 10 million a year if he makes the probowl or wins a superbowl, you know?

this is reasonable to me, 6 to 7M plus incentives.

but also agree its too early to sit down and talk? let him play out this season which isn't even halfway? Alex Smith took two steps up TO DATE and we're all elated, but lets see how he finishes?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LMAO!!!...This is just crazy! Here we are, coming out of our bye week and having a serious discussion about what Smith's contract extension might look like - Who'd a thunk it???? I know I didn't.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can we just give him league min and tell him he still owes us from his fat rookie contract he didnt deserve? Lol

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is reasonable to me, 6 to 7M plus incentives.

but also agree its too early to sit down and talk? let him play out this season which isn't even halfway? Alex Smith took two steps up TO DATE and we're all elated, but lets see how he finishes?

Yeah, I was going under the assumption the 49ers kept rolling and won at least one game in the playoffs. That is the only thing that would warrant a new contract for Alex Smith in my opinion. He certainly hasn't done anything so far that earns a new contract... he has to actually finish strong to get that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I was going under the assumption the 49ers kept rolling and won at least one game in the playoffs. That is the only thing that would warrant a new contract for Alex Smith in my opinion. He certainly hasn't done anything so far that earns a new contract... he has to actually finish strong to get that.

yep, didn't want to go there on my post but agree, he needs to play even better. not asking for much better or a lot better, but better.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

“Is the quarterback of the future on this roster?” Baalke said. “I think it’s obvious that he isn’t at this point.”

Niners G.M. says quarterback of the future isn’t presently on the roster | ProFootballTalk

Trent Baalke, the general manager for the 49ers, has been decidedly less effusive about quarterback Alex Smith than his head coach, Jim Harbaugh. "Right now we're treating him as we do every other free-agent quarterback," Baalke said today at the scouting combine.

Smith, however, is not a free agent quite yet. There is still a one-week window in which the 49ers could extend Smith or any of the 49ers pending free agents. Some quarterbacks from other teams, notably Josh Freeman of the Buccaneers, have said that they plan to organize informal team practices this offseason in the event there is a lockout that wipes away the traditional offseason.

49ers Blog and Q&A: Baalke more restrained re: Alex Smith than head coach

Yep, you're right. Let's hurry up and clinch so we can see what CK has. Right now we're seeing Alex Smith at his BEST and it's due to play calling. As fans have been saying for years, Delanie Walker and Vernon cause mismatch problems. This year we're actually using both regularly, along with a balanced offense. I know Raye was balanced too, if you're just looking at pass & run play totals, but Raye lacked the ability to foresight and build plays off of another.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it does come to contract discussions (whenever that might be) I think Smith would be open to taking less from the Niners versus other teams. I doubt he wants to go into a situation where he has yet another OC and coaching staff, not to mention a whole new set of teammates! So, from that point of view, the Niners FO should have the upper hand, albeit a marginal one at that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!!!...This is just crazy! Here we are, coming out of our bye week and having a serious discussion about what Smith's contract extension might look like - Who'd a thunk it???? I know I didn't.

don't know about that...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unless he implodes at the end of the year than I say you give him a 3 year deal maybe around 7 million a year with some incentives thrown in and worded in a way that makes it easy to release him.

I think it's reasonable to expect a better season from him next year just by the virtue of being in the same system and having a full offseason with the coaches and reps with his weapons.

Also just because you resign him doesn't mean he absolutely must start and if Kapernick out performs him than you go with him and you have a solid backup in Smith.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raye was a joke of an OC. His idea of balance was run Gore three times in a row straight up the middle, then pass relentlessly when we were down by three touchdowns. I agree with the assessment that he didn't build off of each play. Harbaugh and Roman have done a great job of that thus far, as well as putting each player in a position to potentially succeed. Yes, VD is a great blocking TE...but he was also our best reciever as well. Are you putting him in a position to succeed if you are asking him to block all running plays as well as a good number of passing plays? Are you utilizing the mismatch advantage that we have in Walker and VD as good pass catching TEs? I have been VERY impressed with the offensive gameplans thus far this year. Our OL ability (or lackthereof at the beginning of the season) has alot to do with executing the gameplan, but look no further then the Lions game to see how the thought process of using the Lions' DL aggressiveness in pass rush against them by sending DW or VD in motion then applying a backside block to a penetrating Suh as example of a clever gameplan that if executed turned very successful. It was the ingenuity of that plan that gives me great hope for our offense as they continue to gel and understand this first yr offense.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, back to the OP. I think that I would love to have Smith signed for a 3-4 yr contract making similar to what he is making now as I think that CK is still a couple years away from being a more polished player. Smith also has consistently had the overwhelming approval and borderline admiration from many key players on offense, like Gore and VD....guys who have seen what this guy as been through. At this point (assuming that he continues to play at the level he is playing now), I think it would be a mistake NOT re-signing Smith, especially considering a) the cost of acquiring a better QB via trade and b) the cost of acquiring a "franchise QB" in the draft.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't believe he'll get Kolb/Fitzpatrick money. Fitzpatrick throws the ball around a lot more, and Kolb is simply overpaid. Unless he continues to win games in the 4th quarter, I'd liken an extension to what 3LB proposes ($6-7 plus incentives).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Is the quarterback of the future on this roster?” Baalke said. “I think it’s obvious that he isn’t at this point.”

Niners G.M. says quarterback of the future isn’t presently on the roster | ProFootballTalk

Trent Baalke, the general manager for the 49ers, has been decidedly less effusive about quarterback Alex Smith than his head coach, Jim Harbaugh. "Right now we're treating him as we do every other free-agent quarterback," Baalke said today at the scouting combine.

Smith, however, is not a free agent quite yet. There is still a one-week window in which the 49ers could extend Smith or any of the 49ers pending free agents. Some quarterbacks from other teams, notably Josh Freeman of the Buccaneers, have said that they plan to organize informal team practices this offseason in the event there is a lockout that wipes away the traditional offseason.

49ers Blog and Q&A: Baalke more restrained re: Alex Smith than head coach

Yep, you're right. Let's hurry up and clinch so we can see what CK has. Right now we're seeing Alex Smith at his BEST and it's due to play calling. As fans have been saying for years, Delanie Walker and Vernon cause mismatch problems. This year we're actually using both regularly, along with a balanced offense. I know Raye was balanced too, if you're just looking at pass & run play totals, but Raye lacked the ability to foresight and build plays off of another.

Now, that'd be awesome. Get it so the 49ers clinch their playoff spot Week 15 or 16, and then at the very least a half of CK against NFL starters in a real game. If he shows good things, then there'd be no reason to bring Smith back at all... no matter how far the team went in the playoffs.