• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will 18.5% work?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 years? Fuck, you just missed it then :wink:
Yeah, kind of started watching in 97-98, then serious the year after. When I moved in 2000 I got Center Ice and was all in.

I figured I needed more disappointment in my life....

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, kind of started watching in 97-98, then serious the year after. When I moved in 2000 I got Center Ice and was all in.

I figured I needed more disappointment in my life....

Man, I wish you could have seen how much they really loved the game in 1996-97. It was like a fairy tale. :wink:

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure the draft lottery really cuts down on tanking anyway. GMs are still incentivized to tank for better lottery odds. And bad teams are still going to trade away talent for futures/play young players as part of rebuilding, regardless of draft odds.

Expanding the lottery to all non playoff teams was done because people got tired of seeing the same team win every year (the Oilers had won three years in a row).

The Oilers responded by winning the expanded lottery for McDavid.

Also, since the expanded lottery, the New Jersey Devils have won the #1 overall pick as many times as the notorious Penguins have in their history (remember Pittsburgh traded up for #1 in 2003). (Edit to clarify, the Penguins won 1 draft lottery in 2005 and won 1 tank race in 1984).

All that said, I don't think the league rigged the draft this year (or any year). If the league was going to give a team 1st overall, it would have gone to Detroit.

The draft lottery was rigged. End of story.

Also.....if you think that the 16 teams in the first round of the playoffs won't go into full-on tank mode in order to have a shot at that 1st overall pick, then I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also.....if you think that the 16 teams in the first round of the playoffs won't go into full-on tank mode in order to have a shot at that 1st overall pick, then I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :thumb:

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but I think it is the teams that lose in play in got the 8 spots.

What i meant by normal is the lottery process .

Yes they added play in teams but those are making up for the final 2 weeks, if I am not mistaken, of play where the other 4 had shots at the playoffs, where it be winning 1 or winning all and getting some breaks.

Was it flawed. Yes, I do believe that it was but there is no perfect solution unless you go by NFL rules and saying worst teams gets #1. However, then you would be giving into tanking for golden prospect.

Do I believe that It was drama rigged. No. I have watched a 30 for 30 about luck of the draft. The 1992-93 Orlando Magic were 9th in the Eastern conference, only losing in a tie breaker to Indiana, and they still ended up getting lucky with the 1st pick in the 1993 draft USING A LOTTERY SYSTEM.

I get your anger but this is the way it is sometimes.

I love ya Judge, but you are so far off the mark, you're in a different state (province in your case). The lottery on Friday was rigged. It's as obvious as the nose on my face. Also, if you think this won't bring on the mockery of the first/qualifying round of the playoffs with all 16 teams tanking...hard...then I have some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Don't even get me started on the clown show that is the NBA Draft lottery. They've cornered the market on rigging and the NHL shouldn't even try to compete with them on that.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NHL loves it's headlines, especially when they get talked about on networks that don't air NHL hockey. Crazy how the draft always seems to deliver that.

And I don't think teams will go into it with the idea of tanking but I don't know how much teams will fight down 2 games in a best of five series, given that there's a cushion to losing. And it doesn't matter if the team that gets the pick was steady getting it's ass kicked in the play in round, they will forever be called tankers.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL loves it's headlines, especially when they get talked about on networks that don't air NHL hockey. Crazy how the draft always seems to deliver that.

And I don't think teams will go into it with the idea of tanking but I don't know how much teams will fight down 2 games in a best of five series, given that there's a cushion to losing. And it doesn't matter if the team that gets the pick was steady getting it's ass kicked in the play in round, they will forever be called tankers.

I do, but I agree with the rest of your post.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think the guys on the ice give a fuck about that "cushion" though? And how does this work if they don't?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have been an Oilers fan that put it together since they conveniently started at 2016.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It's like he conveniently forgot that they had the 1st overall pick four years out of six.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but I think it is the teams that lose in play in got the 8 spots.

What i meant by normal is the lottery process .

Yes they added play in teams but those are making up for the final 2 weeks, if I am not mistaken, of play where the other 4 had shots at the playoffs, where it be winning 1 or winning all and getting some breaks.

Was it flawed. Yes, I do believe that it was but there is no perfect solution unless you go by NFL rules and saying worst teams gets #1. However, then you would be giving into tanking for golden prospect.

Do I believe that It was drama rigged. No. I have watched a 30 for 30 about luck of the draft. The 1992-93 Orlando Magic were 9th in the Eastern conference, only losing in a tie breaker to Indiana, and they still ended up getting lucky with the 1st pick in the 1993 draft USING A LOTTERY SYSTEM.

I get your anger but this is the way it is sometimes.

They can call it a "play-in" all they want but it's extended playoffs. Montreal, for example, had to win all remaining of their 11 games to get to 93 points, which would have still only given them less than a 1% chance of making the playoffs this year. Now if they win 3 out of 5 against a bunch of guys who haven't played in 4 months they move on. That is NOT the regular season. A series means playoffs.

Giving a team as bad as the Habs were this year a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup is pathetic. But the stupidity doesn't end there. Let's say the Habs DO win. That means the Penguins are one of the "mystery teams" and have a chance at the 1st overall pick. A team that was on pace for 102 points (and by the way has recently won back-to-back Cups) could very realistically be getting 1st overall. While the 45 point pace Red Wings pick 4th.

Now I'm not mad at my team's fortunes in all this. No real anger at this other than at how stupid it all was. Statistically Ottawa's most likely outcomes were 4-5 followed by 5-6. I would have loved to get Lafreniere or the 2-3 picks but mathematically we came out slightly ahead. Kind of shows you how fucked up the system is, but anyway. Realistically I was hoping for Byfield/Stutzle with our first pick and Raymond/Drysdale with our second. That should be available to us at 3-5.

The draft was just so poorly handled. There are a number of ways they could have done it that would have better served the purpose of the draft (to give weaker teams pieces to rebuild) and been fair:

1. Have the regular 16 team playoff based on points percentage at the time of shutdown. Enter the other 15 in the lottery. Simple and easy. 68 games is plenty of sample to determine who makes the playoffs (eg. CHL season). And it's not contingent on the resumption of the season which could still easily, and should, be cancelled. What happens then? LMAO

2. Make the lottery only include the seven teams who aren't playing any more hockey this "season". Done. The really bad teams get the best prospects. This is what the draft was invented for.

3. Use the system they did but make it so that teams can only move up 3 spots. That way a 102 point team doesn't have a chance at 1st overall.

I could go on and on thinking of ways that this could have been done better. I'm sure the NHL cumulatively has at least 3/4 of my brain power (have my doubts some days) to figure this out. I'm sure they did. I think Bettman just didn't have the balls to stand up to a few big market teams (CHI, NYR, MTL) who wanted their cake (playoffs) and wanted to eat it too (still get lottery balls).

It's pathetic and it makes the NHL look Mickey Mouse yet again.

And as I pointed out above what happens when the second wave breaks and they cancel the season? They gonna do the draft again?? Someone call Steve Harvey for the presentation ceremony.

BnlQemo9zCEx.gif

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as I pointed out above what happens when the second wave breaks and they cancel the season? They gonna do the draft again?? Someone call Steve Harvey for the presentation ceremony.

Team E should get the #1 in this scenario

And based on Point %, Team E is the Jets.

Thought I saw a tweet by Bobby Mac on this scenario

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team E should get the #1 in this scenario

And based on Point %, Team E is the Jets.

Thought I saw a tweet by Bobby Mac on this scenario

Must have missed that. So a team that, based on points, would have been in the playoffs would get 1st OA? Seems par for the course for the NHL.