• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we should have hope

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so all the news and all of the posts are doom and gloom over this franchise. I have contributed more than my fair share to this gloom and doom. So I saw another poster (Socal, I think it was you) asking why have hope going forward. I thought this topic deserved its own thread. I'll start off with what I see as the positives for the Redskins and maybe, just maybe, these positives could be used as a foundation in the final rebuilding that we have needed for a decade. Here goes. Please add to what I have missed.

Offense:

1. We have a WR corps that many teams envy. We have deep threats, we have possession receivers that are strong running after the catch. We have depth.

2. We have a RB that is a brute with the ball. I believe he could succeed in any running scheme. We also have a couple of young change of pace backs that can do damage if they get in the open.

3. We have a LT that, when healthy, is considered one of the best in the league.

Defense:

1. Ryan Kerrigan. He has turned into one of the best young OLBs in the league. He is on pace to have over 14 sacks this year and should be going to the Pro Bowl.

2. Keenan Robinson. After suffering though injuries, he emerged this year as a stud and will probably lead the team in tackles despite missing 2 games. He has speed, he can hit, he is smart and he is young.

3. 2 young CBs with promise/potential. Neither Amerson or Breeland are locks, but both have shown promise to become very good CBs. Breeland especially may become something very special. He is a student of the game, physical, and excels at man to man coverage. He needs to learn how to control that physicality, but with proper coaching, he should be a good player. Amerson is probably more of a long shot, but he has shown he can play in this league, he just needs to get more consistent and commit more to the mental side of his position. With maturity and coaching, he could also be a good player for us for a long time.

4. Trent Murphy. While Trent hasn't been a huge ground breaker, he has quietly performed pretty well, getting better every game. He also has upside. His frame is huge, yet he hasn't come close to filling it out. Probably a better fit as a 4-3DE, he still has performed admirably for Rak's replacement. He should only get better.

Special Teams:

1. We finally have a punter that can kick the ball with both distance and height. The biggest issue is sometimes he out kicks the coverage.

2. we also finally have a pretty consistent place kicker. He may not have the strongest leg, but he has proven to be pretty clutch inside 50yds.

Coaching:

Need help here guys..........

Front Office:

I got nothing........

Miscellaneous:

We finally have a full slate of draft picks and will be picking high. If played right, we might be able to turn our 1st round pick into multiple high picks to fill a couple of holes with immediate, young and cheap talent. After all its through the draft that you build a team. However, we have a pretty good cap situation so we will be able to participate in FA to fill specific holes (some may not view this as a positive.....).

OK, so its not like we have a potential playoff team that just needs a few parts, but we could use these strengths as a nucleus to begin the rebuild. My biggest concern isn't the dearth of talent on the field, it is the administration and management of this franchise. We continue to seem to make the same mistakes.

So this is why I have any hope.........I need help.......anything else we should be hopeful for?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a GM who came away with a decent draft so far murphy , breeland and grant show promise

moses has played some and could develop and long could be our future center

our GM picked up 2 cogs in our wr corp and a top notch punter . he held onto Thompson and we got a TD from him yesterday he picked up kearse and he has done well in his role

our HC has shown he will stand up to snyder and has got several shanny picks to upgrade their contributions to the team . Niles Paul at TE has played way better then any of us thought . Robinson has blossomed as a ILB Compton has actually started some games for us at RT and is at least a decent swing tackle . P Thomas has played pretty well and is learning

we have a ways to go to upgrade the talent on the roster and if we get a decent haul next off season we could make a move upward

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cupboard isn't as bare as most think

Need a strong draft and smart free agency
If we hit both of these smart we will be a lot better

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very solid thread. I must say I have been impressed with Breeland and maybe this year's draft wasn't so bad after all.
I think once we develop a better pash rush, we can figure out whats going on with Amerson.
Looks like these guys are asked to play on islands a LOT.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can breeland, murphy, grant can they win a game'for us ? No so it does not matter if we have'them or not. Its all bout the qb ,qb its all bout qb no oline

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can breeland, murphy, grant can they win a game'for us ? No so it does not matter if we have'them or not. Its all bout the qb ,qb its all bout qb no oline

Really? Then how do you explain the Cardinals? 11-3 and they are on their 3rd QB. You can win in this league with a serviceable QB if the rest of your team and your coaching is strong. Take a look at Buffalo and Miami as the examples.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very solid thread. I must say I have been impressed with Breeland and maybe this year's draft wasn't so bad after all.
I think once we develop a better pash rush, we can figure out whats going on with Amerson.
Looks like these guys are asked to play on islands a LOT.

You got it. In addition they need younger safeties who can actually play pass defense. The fact that Rambo was able to get two INTs & be named player of the game for the Bills should embarrass the coaches on this team. Granted - it may be a fluke & never happen again. However - it does emphasize that having an overall good defense & putting players in the proper position can do wonders.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it. In addition they need younger safeties who can actually play pass defense. The fact that Rambo was able to get two INTs & be named player of the game for the Bills should embarrass the coaches on this team. Granted - it may be a fluke & never happen again. However - it does emphasize that having an overall good defense & putting players in the proper position can do wonders.
when i watched the highlights of the bills packers game i was like rambo? our rambo? holy shit that is our rambo! i think he will become a decent starting safety on a good defense like the bills.

my biggest reason for hope is our draft picks. we finally have first round picks for years to come.
haslett will be fired so thats a plus.
special teams problem seems to be about over.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt this thread supposed tp be about reasons for hope and not shooting every damn thing down

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing Skinsdad, we could be on our way to a recovery despite giving up on people and keeping people that need to be replaced. Now, who those people are...remains TBD

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt this thread supposed tp be about reasons for hope and not shooting every damn thing down

20 years of losing and this probably being the lowest point in that time frame will do that to a fan base. But hey, it's good for the message board business. :lol:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest question of all:

Can we develop the talent we have?

A bigger question is.....can we stop drafting "Talent" that has to always be developed?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bigger question is.....can we stop drafting "Talent" that has to always be developed?

Once you start picking in rounds 3-7, you almost always have to develop that talent. And that has been the bulk of our picks the last few years.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once you start picking in rounds 3-7, you almost always have to develop that talent. And that has been the bulk of our picks the last few years.

.........and yet other more successful teams don't seem to have an issue selecting players that fit their schemes and needs. Remember outside of DC, the rallying call is next man up! Here the next man is up is horrific in relation to the turd in front of him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.........and yet other more successful teams don't seem to have an issue selecting players that fit their schemes and needs. Remember outside of DC, the rallying call is next man up! Here the next man is up is horrific in relation to the turd in front of him.

So are you maintaining that players on those other teams don't benefit from good coaching? Beg to differ. Consider the recent comments of LFB (granted he may have been out of line in how he presented this). LFB practically screamed numerous times that Haslett has been severely mis-coaching players over the last several years. I would venture to guess that this may have even cost this team a few victories.

A good coach will adapt his scheme to match the talent. Gruden apparently sees this differently. Hopefully he learns & along the way finds some more competent asst coaches. Also - remember that the coaches generally have some input for the draft.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

all talent has to be developed it is just a matter of degree