• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we should have hope

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you maintaining that players on those other teams don't benefit from good coaching? Beg to differ. Consider the recent comments of LFB (granted he may have been out of line in how he presented this). LFB practically screamed numerous times that Haslett has been severely mis-coaching players over the last several years. I would venture to guess that this may have even cost this team a few victories.

A good coach will adapt his scheme to match the talent. Gruden apparently sees this differently. Hopefully he learns & along the way finds some more competent asst coaches. Also - remember that the coaches generally have some input for the draft.

Never said that, the point that you're missing is that this team in relation to others fails to get players that fit their scheme from the jump. Very good example is Brian Orakpo a player who for the entirety of his career was a DE. So what does DC do? They draft him and attempt to convert him to LB'er. If you want a OLB'er with the 13th pick of the 1st round select a LB'er who's done it his whole life and come in with the skills that fit your system.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said that, the point that you're missing is that this team in relation to others fails to get players that fit their scheme from the jump. Very good example is Brian Orakpo a player who for the entirety of his career was a DE. So what does DC do? They draft him and attempt to convert him to LB'er. If you want a OLB'er with the 13th pick of the 1st round select a LB'er who's done it his whole life and come in with the skills that fit your system.

True. But many NFL OLBs in a 3-4 come from college as DEs.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all talent has to be developed it is just a matter of degree

Exactly, but why oh why do we continually get guys that have to be developed, (since you're talking about degrees) from 180 degrees instead of from 90 degrees or less?

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, but why oh why do we continually get guys that have to be developed, (since you're talking about degrees) from 180 degrees instead of from 90 degrees or less?

I agree we have a bad team and can't afford to select players who need developing until we get our roster straightened out

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But many NFL OLBs in a 3-4 come from college as DEs.

....and many do not!, just another reason I'm so hard on the GM and scouting dept. If the impact LB'er is not there at 13 of the first round address another need that upgrades your team. Ultimately you're going to build a powerful team with just that one need. That puts you in position to focus on getting that player with all of the resources that you'll ever need to get him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree to a major degree with your take on Orakpo. The pick was considered a steal my most people (including other NFL scouts & FO types). Orakpo has had some on-field issues, but his major problem has been staying healthy (& he didn't have these issues in college). He has made the pro bowl several times & when healthy contributes to the defense for the most part & I have to believe that he would even more if a bozo like Haslett wasn't the D coordinator.

I also believe that people have a major misconception about defensive schemes. It is not as if the Redskins - or any other team - run the 3-4 100% of the team. Quite often they will use a 4-3 or some type of hybrid defense. Trust me - if a defensive player is good & has a good attitude he will thrive regardless of scheme. Even in hindsight I see no way that the Orakpo pick was a bad one - real easy for folks to play Monday morning QB on this one.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and many do not!, just another reason I'm so hard on the GM and scouting dept. If the impact LB'er is not there at 13 of the first round address another need that upgrades your team. Ultimately you're going to build a powerful team with just that one need. That puts you in position to focus on getting that player with all of the resources that you'll ever need to get him.

Your example doesn't even make sense since Orakpo was drafted prior to the time that Allen was hired. That one is on Vinnie/Snyder & it is hardly news that those 2 clowns couldn't do just about anything right in regards to the draft most times (although - again - I don't believe that the Orakpo pick was a bad one & it basically fell into their lap).

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man if only Orakpo had more time with Andre Carter or another person to take away being game planned against.
I'm sure that didn't help either, going into your 2nd year being the focal point of attack before completely developing an arsenal. Orakpo, was an outstanding teammate who stayed out of trouble, but needed help to crack that elite level(that he never reached)...oh well he'll be gone next year and breakout!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude , the guy has been to 3 pro bowls in 6 years in the NFL i wish we had more busts like that

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude , the guy has been to 3 pro bowls in 6 years in the NFL i wish we had more busts like that

Dude, you put way too much emphasis on "pro Bowl" players. Did you know that some guys go, simply because the original selectee can't make it?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your example doesn't even make sense since Orakpo was drafted prior to the time that Allen was hired. That one is on Vinnie/Snyder & it is hardly news that those 2 clowns couldn't do just about anything right in regards to the draft most times (although - again - I don't believe that the Orakpo pick was a bad one & it basically fell into their lap).

Please re-read my post....in it you'll find that I said "....just another reason I'm so hard on the GM and scouting dept." notice I did not limit myself to the current GM and scouting dept. as I've done in other posts specifically relating to them. Make sense now??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you put way too much emphasis on "pro Bowl" players. Did you know that some guys go, simply because the original selectee can't make it?

and that matters why ? so he is number 4 on the list of players at his position makes him a bust ?

you aint an alternate if you suck

he has more sacks then any redskin during his 1st 5 years ever