• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Oregon fans will never get it

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Schembechler arrived at Michigan, the facilities were terrible. The team was getting dressed in the bleachers at the basketball facility. You know what Bo said, "You see that rusty nail right there? Fielding Yost hung his hat on that rusty nail! We've got tradition here! Michigan tradition! And that's something no one else has!"

Oregon will never be able to buy national titles or the history that makes a great program.

Yes, they can buy a national title and have been on the cusp of that for years now. Uncle Phil is going to continue writing blank checks until a crystal football can be put in his office, because the ROI to Nike will pay off and it will be part of his legacy.

The school has little to no say in anything that occurs in it's athletic dept anymore. It's run by Phil Knight and Nike. And Phil didn't pour 100's of millions into those facilities out of the "goodness of his heart" like their deluded fanbase have conned themselves into believing. He does it because it's a business investment. UofO athletics is now Nike's test lab and one of it's main marketing tools. It brings attention to a school that wouldn't exist naturally.

They have to buy a crystal football because they could never do it the natural way. They have to do it with $ because it's Eugene, Oregon. You have to supply these ridiculous over the top facilities, free Nike schwag, and even bribes as we learned from the recent NCAA investigation, to get the recruiting classes they land lately.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they can buy a national title and have been on the cusp of that for years now. Uncle Phil is going to continue writing blank checks until a crystal football can be put in his office, because the ROI to Nike will pay off and it will be part of his legacy.

The school has little to no say in anything that occurs in it's athletic dept anymore. It's run by Phil Knight and Nike. And Phil didn't pour 100's of millions into those facilities out of the "goodness of his heart" like their deluded fanbase have conned themselves into believing. He does it because it's a business investment. UofO athletics is now Nike's test lab and one of it's main marketing tools. It brings attention to a school that wouldn't exist naturally.

They have to buy a crystal football because they could never do it the natural way. They have to do it with $ because it's Eugene, Oregon. You have to supply these ridiculous over the top facilities, free Nike schwag, and even bribes as we learned from the recent NCAA investigation, to get the recruiting classes they land lately.

398.gif

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've come close, but I just don't think you can buy it like that - unless they just straight out pull an Auburn and buy a player.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually no, Bo always viewed big ten titles as the primary goal. Which he accomplished quite well. Even up through the 90's, the "national title" was not as important of a goal as it is today because it was voted on. For a long while it was arbitrarily awarded prior to the bowl season.

In fact, Bo was never a fan
Mythical national championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical."

Too bad Bo never really figured out that "go to the Rose Bowl and win it" part (2-8 in Rose Bowls)!!:lol:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Bo never really figured out that "go to the Rose Bowl and win it" part (2-8 in Rose Bowls)!!:lol:
2-8 and yet he never swayed from stressing how going to the Rose and winning it meant MI had a great season. At least he never made any excuses. Can't say the same for University of Steroid California. Should we start a Ting brothers thread?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-8 and yet he never swayed from stressing how going to the Rose and winning it meant MI had a great season. At least he never made any excuses. Can't say the same for University of Steroid California. Should we start a Ting brothers thread?

Seriously?!? The Ting brothers is all you've got?:laugh3:

Start your thread!! Have at it!! Won't change Bo's Rose Bowl record or overall Bowl record (5-17)!!

Bo didn't believe in the NC because he couldn't even win the Rose Bowl, or any other bowl for that matter!! :lol:

Hey, I know!! Maybe you can start at thread about how it's not fair that the Rose Bowl was always a "home game" for the PAC teams!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?!? The Ting brothers is all you've got?:laugh3:

Start your thread!! Have at it!! Won't change Bo's Rose Bowl record or overall Bowl record (5-17)!!

Bo didn't believe in the NC because he couldn't even win the Rose Bowl, or any other bowl for that matter!! :lol:

Hey, I know!! Maybe you can start at thread about how it's not fair that the Rose Bowl was always a "home game" for the PAC teams!!

Ting bros, Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll taking off to avoid penalties, Lane Kiffin etc... USC has been the laughing stock of college football for over a decade now. USC gets no respect and may never get any again. You let podunk Oregon surpass you for Christ's sake. I'll take a legit, honest, losing record over the trail of embarrassment USC has left behind any day.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have to buy a crystal football because they could never do it the natural way.
They have to do it with $ because it's Eugene, Oregon. You have to supply these ridiculous over the top facilities, free Nike schwag, and even bribes as we learned from the recent NCAA investigation, to get the recruiting classes they land lately.

Been saying this for years. It is the truth... And as an Oregon fan we have obviously come to this realization and accepted it. WHat choice do we have?

But money only gets you so far. Still have to bring in the players and coaching staff. Then parlay that into results on the field.

SECHATER12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have 1 Natty since 1948. Seems to me that tradition is about all you have.

I like football tradition and history ... but what makes football great is winning. That's something you guys seem to have forgotten about lately. In the BCS era, Oregon is 8th in winning percentage, Michigan 17th. But you keep hanging your hat on that rusty old nail because that means so much!

and u have 2 since 1942 and only 2 :lol:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it's mythical but it's certainly flawed. Totally agree on the second point. 8 teams minimum or GTFO. Anything else will always leave the end result open for endless debate.

This would lead to watering down the best reg season in all of sports IMO.

Bronco-in-SLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon fans will never get it, because they can't beat Boise.

:suds:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ting bros, Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll taking off to avoid penalties, Lane Kiffin etc... USC has been the laughing stock of college football for over a decade now. USC gets no respect and may never get any again. You let podunk Oregon surpass you for Christ's sake. I'll take a legit, honest, losing record over the trail of embarrassment USC has left behind any day.

Seriously?!? This may be the dumbest most ill-informed thing ever posted!! Nice twist though!!

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By "first time" I meant the last 10 years of building. So really the 2002 number you mentioned. You can't honestly be comparing $90 million to $2 million or $600,000?

Sorry I should have included the initial cost in 1967 of 2.5 mil.
Dont forget about money in relation to year.
Michigan Stadium was built for 950,000. what would that get you today?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few, most recently the 40's.

per the NCAA Michigan had 1 from 1940 to 1949.
as well as 1 in the 30s and 1 in the 20s. another in the 10 to 19 years
but a bunch from 00 to 10.

maybe its just me but this all happenend before my grandfather was born, I really dont even care.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what have all those awesome recruiting classes got yall Michigan? Mediocrity... Thats what.

We are in the year 2013 where progressive forward thinking programs are leaving the "traditionalists" in the rear view mirror. Michigan can praise the ol RustyNail all they want.

Meanwhile Oregon will continue to get top 25 classes that are better than yourn top 5 classes on the field due to hiring and maintaining some of the best coaches in the land.

The Oregon's of the world will walk in to the big house and kick the shit out of your traditional powerhouse program.

One thing Oregon has NOT done is loss to an FCS team... and at home??? What a joke.

I mean yall should be ashamed and embarrased. That is an absolute eyesore that will never leave your programs history.

Tell me, what traditional power lets this happen???? ANd a 39-7 blowout loss to lil ol Oregon # HOME?!?!?!

Then you have your rivals kicking the shit out of you of late. Ohio State is in another galaxy to where Michigan is.

Shouldnt happen to blue bloods. But I expect it to continue with the lil boys up North. As long as their fanbase doesnt demand better and is content with a fuckin rustynail and praising the most overrated coach in CFB history who has been rotting in a grave for nearly a decade.

Good job UM.... Keep up the tradition, meanwhile forward thinking programs like tOSU, Wisky, and Nebraska will continue to keep their foot on yourn throats....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per the NCAA Michigan had 1 from 1940 to 1949.
as well as 1 in the 30s and 1 in the 20s. another in the 10 to 19 years
but a bunch from 00 to 10.

maybe its just me but this all happenend before my grandfather was born, I really dont even care.

:laugh3:

They sure do care... Michigan fan will next be calling for the ban of the forward pass and request games to be played in a corn field while the players wear leather helmets...

What a joke....:lol:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I should have included the initial cost in 1967 of 2.5 mil.
Dont forget about money in relation to year.
Michigan Stadium was built for 950,000. what would that get you today?

$2.5 million is equivalent to about $17 million today. While large, no where near the $90 million spent in 2002.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

They sure do care... Michigan fan will next be calling for the ban of the forward pass and request games to be played in a corn field while the players wear leather helmets...

What a joke....:lol:

Except, I can remember my team winning a national title - can you?

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to stir the pot but maybe UO could use some of that money to buy some more officials for their home games.......