• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Caitlin Clark Different?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's a rookie. No rookies are on the team and I can't remember a time when a rookie has been on Team USA, women or men.

It may have happened and I don't remember and if it has, it hasn't been more than once or twice.

She hasn't been singled out, picked on or snubbed.

The only thing held against her is that she doesn't have the experience they were looking for. Just like every other rookie.

The international game is different than the American game and American rookies have no experience with that.

As I said last night...the last time the Mens team just went with "the best players" without re: to fit or experience, they got a bronze medal. They didn't face a single team that was as talented as they were...but everyone they played was more experienced in the international game than they were.

Yeah, people are forgetting.

This is a team created to win a gold medal.

I don’t think the people in charge of the roster care to put TV ratings ahead of winning.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,446.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, people are forgetting.

This is a team created to win a gold medal.

I don’t think the people in charge of the roster care to put TV ratings ahead of winning.
Not at all.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize she was averaging so many turnovers. That's my big issue.

This is again where I harp on Boston not being much to right home about from what little I've seen. But must be something chemistry wise broken there because her shooting is way off despite having CC draw attention.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said....it's rare.

And, he technically was still a college player as he hadn't been drafted yet. Also, as @tlance pointed out, that was the first Olympic team with NBA players. Laettner was a nod to the past when we only used college players.

Don't think there's been a college kid or rookie on the team since then.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plus side to this snub is that it balances out the racism against blacks that has existed in American history.

Thank you for your sacrifice, CC. :usa2:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,446.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, he technically was still a college player as he hadn't been drafted yet. Also, as @tlance pointed out, that was the first Olympic team with NBA players. Laettner was a nod to the past when we only used college players.

Don't think there's been a college kid or rookie on the team since then.
True.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know
to switch up the subject a little bit.
Kept hearing it as a magic vs. Bird kinda thing (with Reese)
When she gets some exp. & her roles down. I really hope she becomes the Magic of the WNBA. Not the Bird.
She can already pass well, but with so many wanting to guard her long before getting to the key. You would have to think that will open up lanes to make some exciting passes for scores. When they guard that make them pay deep. Magic Johnson was by far my favorite player. Would love if she can emulate him in some ways. of course she will need some better players under the basket.
Watched some of her passes & the lady missed like 3 times under the hoop LOL.

Anyways. I know many want to compare her to Bird, but I really want to be able to compare her to Magic in the long run.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's a rookie. No rookies are on the team and I can't remember a time when a rookie has been on Team USA, women or men.

It may have happened and I don't remember and if it has, it hasn't been more than once or twice.

She hasn't been singled out, picked on or snubbed.

The only thing held against her is that she doesn't have the experience they were looking for. Just like every other rookie.

The international game is different than the American game and American rookies have no experience with that.

As I said last night...the last time the Mens team just went with "the best players" without re: to fit or experience, they got a bronze medal. They didn't face a single team that was as talented as they were...but everyone they played was more experienced in the international game than they were.

Anthony Davis was on the team in 2012 but he barely played. I think that's the only time its happened in awhile. And a good chunk of the reason why he was included was because USA needed skillful bigs, which has been a problem for us internationally for 10 years now. So its not like they said "we need the best players, AD is the best", but more filling a need.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is living rent free in some of these players’ minds

To an extent...yes.

The funny thing is...this is very much like what happened with Magic and Bird.

You had 2 very hyped rookies coming into an attention starved league after generating a ton of interest in the NCAA tournament and everyone said would dominate the league. Meanwhile, the veterans were saying "No they aren't".

They weren't even welcomed by their own teammates.

On the Lakers, Norm Nixon was saying "We already nave a point guard, me", Kareem was saying "He's not taking over my team" and Birds teammates were saying "We're gonna put this white boy in his place". Then they had to prove it to the rest of the league.

The differences?

Social media wasn't a thing yet.

Magic and Bird actually started living up to the hype almost immediately. Outside of some flashes here and there...Clark hasn't.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh how I miss those days sometimes. Apart from texting and coming here I don’t use any other communication platforms, and I enjoy it.

Pretty much the same.

I have a Facebook account that one of my daughters created for me and I pretty much only use it to keep up with them and the grandkids. lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh how I miss those days sometimes. Apart from texting and coming here I don’t use any other communication platforms, and I enjoy it.

Same. Internet, yes please. Social media? Meh. I consider bulletin boards like this different from social media anyway. Just like YouTube isn't the same as Twitch, Instagram, etc.

Never had or wanted a Myspace or Facebook account. Isn't it time for the next iteration? Facebook seems ancient in internet years.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. Internet, yes please. Social media? Meh. I consider bulletin boards like this different from social media anyway. Just like YouTube isn't the same as Twitch, Instagram, etc.

Never had or wanted a Myspace or Facebook account. Isn't it time for the next iteration? Facebook seems ancient in internet years.
Oh yeah, I watch plenty of YouTube and I still “use” Twitter (X, I guess? Lol) FB and such because most people I know use it and send me links from those places, I just don’t have accounts with them and I never will.

As far as a new iteration of FB who knows what’ll happen, there’s always a possibility of rebranding, but FB has already overcome quite a bit of adversity, (maybe still ongoing? not sure) I think it has cemented itself as a top media platform and is probably gonna be around for years to come.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can,t see how the Olympic team did,nt take cc or reese if winning is the goal.