• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Caitlin Clark Different?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking something similar.
Probably better for her. This being her 1st full season as a professional. Stay home. Rest, get in some quality time with her teammates & come out of the break stronger. Probably better for her & her team.
And honestly it won't hurt for the other women to see 3/4 empty stands again and 0.5 TV ratings even though it's the best players in the world

May offer them some much needed perspective

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just ignore CC didn't attend the national training camp.....

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She shouldn't be on the team based on that for sure. And there are obviously much better players than her right now as well

Hey only real point for inclusion is to continue the growth of the sport as she's by far far the most popular player in the league

That's a pretty large point to be fair but it's also not the end all be all

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She shouldn't be on the team based on that for sure. And there are obviously much better players than her right now as well

Hey only real point for inclusion is to continue the growth of the sport as she's by far far the most popular player in the league

That's a pretty large point to be fair but it's also not the end all be all
Well, she will be on the next one for sure so there is that.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Olympic training camp happened to be in the middle of CC Iowa team final four/natty run.

No NCAA player in their right mind would want to drop out on their team for that.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Olympic training camp happened to be in the middle of CC Iowa team final four/natty run.

No NCAA player in their right mind would want to drop out on their team for that.
We didn't say she didn't have a valid reason to miss it, but it doesn't change the fact that she did.

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Team USA stated that they were looking for players with international experience. Clark doesn't have that.

If she does what most WNBA players do and plays overseas, she'll have the experience next time around.

If she develops like most think she will, she'll be on the team next time even she doesn't play overseas.

Not such a bad thing she isn’t on the team.

To this day, LeBron gets blamed for that bronze medal in his first Olympic experience even though he was a role player on the team.

Pretty ridiculous really.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have a lower percentage if you're shooting three pointers. Those 50 assists would tell a reasonable person she's about team play.

Ahh…

You are out of your element a bit here.

Simple stats don’t tell the whole story.

Take Russell Westbrook for example. Arguably the biggest ball hog in the history of the league during his triple double Russ years.

He dominated the ball in a way that was absolutely bad for teammates around him. Just because he kicked out to shooters after his drives instead of forcing a shot doesn’t mean he wasn’t a ball hog.

I am not saying Caitlin Clark is that. I don’t believe that she is.

But you can’t use raw assist numbers to demonstrate that a player is “about team play” because that really is not the case.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say this having not watched a second of CC play in the WNBA.

But her ratios and 3 percentage all tell me she's pressing. Which makes sense given she's a rookie. But she has to allow the game to flow better. 32 percent from 3 is hardly steph curry.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't say she didn't have a valid reason to miss it, but it doesn't change the fact that she did.
Yes she sure did, but it seems some people and the committee hold it against her tho.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes she sure did, but it seems some people and the committee hold it against her tho.

I see both sides of this. The women's team is practically guaranteed a gold with or without her. The media frenzy both good and bad would bring way more eyeballs. And she isn't ready to lead a group of professionals.

But all that said...CC should probably be on the team with the caveat she come out and say the right things in terms of understanding her role and for people to not clamor for her to start. The men's team held a spot for Laettner in 92 after all. So not necessarily unheard of to generate a spot with the intent to lure a different audience

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is a rookie...

It's very rare when a rookie makes the team....in men's or women's basketball.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides of this. The women's team is practically guaranteed a gold with or without her. The media frenzy both good and bad would bring way more eyeballs. And she isn't ready to lead a group of professionals.

But all that said...CC should probably be on the team with the caveat she come out and say the right things in terms of understanding her role and for people to not clamor for her to start. The men's team held a spot for Laettner in 92 after all. So not necessarily unheard of to generate a spot with the intent to lure a different audience
I agree, perhaps some of the old guards don't want her on the team, just like Jordan didn't want Thomas on the original dream team back in the day.

but CC is the biggest draw right now. The potential of gaining popularity, commercial and financial aspects of her being on the team is endless.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is a rookie...

It's very rare when a rookie makes the team....in men's or women's basketball.
Laettner was on the dream team.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Laettner was a unique situation.

It was the first year not using college kids and he was more or less a symbol of the past.

Clark is good enough to be on the team. But timing isn’t on her side and it probably isn’t in the best interest of the team to put her on it.

She is a headliner not ready to be a main player on this team. Her presence could cause distraction, and like you said, team USA has plenty to win without her.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thrilled that CC won't be on the USA olympic team, and Britney Griner will be. Now I can 100% root against the American team without feeling conflicted at all.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She's a rookie. No rookies are on the team and I can't remember a time when a rookie has been on Team USA, women or men.

It may have happened and I don't remember and if it has, it hasn't been more than once or twice.

She hasn't been singled out, picked on or snubbed.

The only thing held against her is that she doesn't have the experience they were looking for. Just like every other rookie.

The international game is different than the American game and American rookies have no experience with that.

As I said last night...the last time the Mens team just went with "the best players" without re: to fit or experience, they got a bronze medal. They didn't face a single team that was as talented as they were...but everyone they played was more experienced in the international game than they were.