• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why didn't Kwahi sign yesterday?

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRS tax is lower in Canada, there is no state tax for the Orlando residents, I don't know if there is one in Toronto... Certainly state tax in California is the highest among all states in the US.

That entire post is wrong on every level. well done.

Reactions: DJ

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know that, but you got to admit it does look that way and for the record Kobe Bryant did it the same way 20 years ago after his rookie contract was up - so it's not like we've never seen this before.

Tbh, it makes sense for a team to want him to play it this way too. Get some media buzz and momentum going into the season.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He likes to play hide and seek...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRS tax is lower in Canada, there is no state tax for the Orlando residents, I don't know if there is one in Toronto... Certainly state tax in California is the highest among all states in the US.
There is no personal income tax in Florida, but New York Income Tax is much higher in New York and New York City also has a tax on the residents.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know that, but you got to admit it does look that way and for the record Kobe Bryant did it the same way 20 years ago after his rookie contract was up - so it's not like we've never seen this before.

Kobe couldn't be more different, come on man.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe couldn't be more different, come on man.
I'm just saying - that in regards to the style they managed their free agency - Kobe did the same thing. He did not sign immediately. He took his time like Leonard did, heard from three different teams and then made his decision just like Leonard did. Yes their personalities are different, but it is not unheard of for a player to take his time and hear from different times. It's been done before.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying - that in regards to the style they managed their free agency - Kobe did the same thing. He did not sign immediately. He took his time like Leonard did, heard from three different teams and then made his decision just like Leonard did. Yes their personalities are different, but it is not unheard of for a player to take his time and hear from different times. It's been done before.
But you said it was about Kawhi wanting to be the center of attention, when all he's doing is taking a couple days to make a big decision.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you said it was about Kawhi wanting to be the center of attention, when all he's doing is taking a couple days to make a big decision.
I was being sarcastic. I do think he is temperamental though.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto's total tax rate is 53ish percent for all games played in Toronto. And if Kahwi is still listed as a resident of California he will get taxed by them as well.

Overall he got taxed about 2 million more due to the trade to Toronto. Got more than that in the trade kicker though.
If Toronto's taxation is total taxation (which means that there isn't additional city tax and state tax to add), it then ends up to be roughly the same as with the average state in US... doesn't it?

But then, if a player is only taxed for his in Toronto games, then he is taxed for half his annual salary, which is like the total tax ends up to be halved... Is this the case with players playing in Toronto?

In Us it is IRS 37% + state tax (variable between states) + city tax (variable between cities)... no?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Toronto's taxation is total taxation (which means that there isn't additional city tax and state tax to add), it then ends up to be roughly the same as with the average state in US... doesn't it?

But then, if a player is only taxed for his in Toronto games, then he is taxed for half his annual salary, which is like the total tax ends up to be halved... Is this the case with players playing in Toronto?

In Us it is IRS 37% + state tax (variable between states) + city tax (variable between cities)... no?

Yes. All players are taxed based on where the game is played. Each game in California gets the max 37 Federal, and the 7.25 state.

Even if you play for a team outside California, but own a home there you have a high shot to get taxed by California. Due to people trying to claim dual residency to get out of their high taxes, they have aggressive laws to tax you as a resident.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true.
Players have to pay taxes in every city in the league.

Anyway, he is waiting to see if A.D. or LeBron can recruit any USA women soccer players before he makes his final decision.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the TV schedule for ESPN say “The Decision 2.0” for 8:00 pm on Thursday?

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. All players are taxed based on where the game is played. Each game in California gets the max 37 Federal, and the 7.25 state.

Even if you play for a team outside California, but own a home there you have a high shot to get taxed by California. Due to people trying to claim dual residency to get out of their high taxes, they have aggressive laws to tax you as a resident.
Isn't the state tax in California 13.5%?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*checks tax bill*

What's an IRS? What's a state tax? Jesus Christ am I a tax delinquent?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto's total tax rate is 53ish percent for all games played in Toronto. And if Kahwi is still listed as a resident of California he will get taxed by them as well.

Overall he got taxed about 2 million more due to the trade to Toronto. Got more than that in the trade kicker though.
Ontario & CA's tax rate comes out about even. If he's putting his daughter in school here, claiming ON as primary residence etc. I think the CA double-dip goes away.

The benefit of signing such a large-money contract here would be that the Loonie's gone into the shitter again and is only worth 75 cents US and his salary would be paid in USD. Therefore, any investments he makes during his time here, say in real estate, his dollar would go much farther. If the loonie ever rallies again like it did from 2007-2015 he'd make a killing on ROI.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi refused to meet with any team on Sunday, but he did have a meeting with Magic Johnson to discuss the Lakers before meeting with Jeanie Buss. He is paying close attention to details surrounding the Lakers and was concerned about the things he saw in the news about Pelinka and Johnson. He also is concerned about load management and the medical team and wants to be sure it is equal to what Toronto provided

Why rush? So the media has something to talk about?

To me it seems like his interest in the Lakers is genuine if he wants to hear Magic's views on the perceived dysfunction in Lakerland...that I assume would take a day or so to pull together.

Ironic that the Lakers fate in FA could still be controlled here by Magic.