• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Boston is the best

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one lives in the past like Boston

Whiny hypocrite fanbase, for 80 years whining about their big brothers in NY, only to mimic their every action

Pathetic

No one cares about NY.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I didn't expect you to admit you've been a fan since 2004

Congrats again

"every person whos a sox fan came on board in 2004"

-dirts tethered helmet

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re a Boston sports fan over the age of 30, it may be emotionally difficult for you to think of your teams as successful. (Disclosure: I am, and it is.) But the facts are pretty clear: Boston is America’s most successful modern sports town.

Its teams in the four major pro sports leagues have won championships in an impressive 10 percent of the seasons they’ve played over the last 50 years, the highest share for any city with at least two teams. In the 1960s and 1970s, that success came exclusively from the Celtics. But since 2008, all four teams — Celtics, Bruins, Patriots and Red Sox — have won a title.

Pittsburgh is second by this 50-year measure, at 8 percent, and Los Angeles third at 6.3 percent. If we expand the universe to include cities with only one team, San Antonio narrowly beats Boston, with titles in 10.6 percent of seasons.

Above, we present something of a Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda scatterplot for fans of all cities. It shows both how often a city’s teams have made the semifinals — the final four — in their respective sports and how often they have won a championship over the last half-century.

Cities at the top, like Boston, have won the most titles, and cities at the bottom, like Cleveland, have won the fewest. Cities on the right have been to the most final fours, and cities on the left have been to the fewest

We get to go back 50 years?

OK then, I'll only go back to when I started really getting into it in 70. I was 10 years old and since then the Bruins have been to the finals 9 times and won 3. They also had a ridiculous stretch of 29 or 30 straight years of making the playoffs.

The Celtics have been to the finals 9 times since 1970 as well and won 6 of their 17 titles in that time frame.

The Patriots have been to the SB 8 times winning 4.

The Red Sox have been to the WS 5 times winning their last 3 appearances.

And just to informed everyone's little buddy, the Patriots did not suck for 40 years before winning a title. It was more of a roller coaster ride of pretty good teams for a few years followed by sucky teams for a few years......rinse and repeat.

It looks like 50 years according to the OP. I figured SF might be up there.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like 50 years according to the OP. I figured SF might be up there.
yeah, it is...but to NEED to go back 50 years vs us just pointing to 2001 on where a majority of these have occurred...

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, it is...but to NEED to go back 50 years vs us just pointing to 2001 on where a majority of these have occurred...

You had a list of cities of how they did in a 50-year margin. I was just curious where SF fell on that list. I never said SF had as many as Boston or Pittsburgh. I just noticed SF has done quite good in last 50 years.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get to go back 50 years?

OK then, I'll only go back to when I started really getting into it in 70. I was 10 years old and since then the Bruins have been to the finals 9 times and won 3. They also had a ridiculous stretch of 29 or 30 straight years of making the playoffs.

The Celtics have been to the finals 9 times since 1970 as well and won 6 of their 17 titles in that time frame.

The Patriots have been to the SB 8 times winning 4.

The Red Sox have been to the WS 5 times winning their last 3 appearances.

And just to informed everyone's little buddy, the Patriots did not suck for 40 years before winning a title. It was more of a roller coaster ride of pretty good teams for a few years followed by sucky teams for a few years......rinse and repeat.

My favorite part is when u say the Patriots have "been" to the Auper Bowl 8 times... .500 is nothing to be happy about kid.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what happens if we count jack parkers BU titles, or BC's titles in hockey?

how about tufts mens lacrosse? ever see what those guys are doing?

they just won their 2nd title in a row.

PS i am referring to PRO teams, not minor league pro, not college...pro pro.

Did u just say Tufts men's lacrosse??

lol... Realizing of course the best lacrosse in the country high school and college is played in Maryland.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did u just say Tufts men's lacrosse??

lol... Realizing of course the best lacrosse in the country high school and college is played in Maryland.
why not? we have someone here trying to sneak in kalamazoo or something.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there's not

Not until it happened to your favorite teams

You can be honest

Teams winning when you're a fan of that team > team winning 50 years before you were even born.

Yankee fans that want to reminisce about Jeffrey Mayer, Bernie W, and Scott Brosius etc Go ahead. Hell I liked Ron Guidry in my yute. The problem is that Yankee fans never went that route - it was always 27.

In comparison you rarely hear Celtics fans counting rings. I personally don't care what the Celtics did in the 60s because I wasn't alive for it.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams winning when you're a fan of that team > team winning 50 years before you were even born.

Yankee fans that want to reminisce about Jeffrey Mayer, Bernie W, and Scott Brosius etc Go ahead. Hell I liked Ron Guidry in my yute. The problem is that Yankee fans never went that route - it was always 27.

In comparison you rarely hear Celtics fans counting rings. I personally don't care what the Celtics did in the 60s because I wasn't alive for it.

Yankees struggle, idiot Yankee fans "27 rings"

Red Sox suck, Celtics suck, we get threads like this. Nothing in the present worth discussing, we start recapping the past decade

No different

But the fact is, the Boston fans have turned into exactly what they whined about NY fans for being, for many many years prior to 2004

And that's pretty funny

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees struggle, idiot Yankee fans "27 rings"

Red Sox suck, Celtics suck, we get threads like this. Nothing in the present worth discussing, we start recapping the past decade

No different

But the fact is, the Boston fans have turned into exactly what they whined about NY fans for being, for many many years prior to 2004

And that's pretty funny
the patriots won their 4th SB like a few months ago dirt.