• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Alex might be traded not cut

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talk on KNBR today has been that the Niners may be thinking of trying to keep Smith as a backup, rather than release OR trade him. Said that may have been what prompted the report that he wants out, and Jed hinted at it in an interview with Radnich.....said that there is plenty of reason for the Niners to want to keep him.

That might just be postering. I hope it is.

Me too. I think it's best for the team to have money for other players who we are planning on playing. And to get a draft pick in return. I think it's obviously best for Smith to be released or traded.

But at least they aren't trying to fool anybody with talk of QB competition. I'd be upset if they thought we'd buy that. Pushing the starter is one thing, but competition? No. Kaepernick is competitive enough to not need it, just like I thought Alex was a hard enough worker to not need it. I thought the competition benefited Alex in changing what he worked on (as in to fit into more of a flexible offense) than it would as to working hard.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapaport:

Alex Smith will not be a member of #49ers next year. They will try to trade him first. Then if nothing happens, cut him early out of respect

#49ers have strong relationship with Alex Smith & Tom Condon his agent. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team, be treated right

Who are interested in Alex Smith? Teams you would think -- Bills, Cardinals, maybe Eagles. Not the Jets, though. At least not yet.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALex Smith will be a Buffalo Bill

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapaport:

Alex Smith will not be a member of #49ers next year. They will try to trade him first. Then if nothing happens, cut him early out of respect

#49ers have strong relationship with Alex Smith & Tom Condon his agent. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team, be treated right

Who are interested in Alex Smith? Teams you would think -- Bills, Cardinals, maybe Eagles. Not the Jets, though. At least not yet.

If this is true, I wish there were a way for me to know this but no one else (except the team and Alex) - people already assume we'll cut him if we don't get a trade by April 1st, why let them know the date will be sooner? That, if people believe Rapaport, takes away the incentive to trade. This obviously won't effect if teams want him or not. However, someone might not want to wait until April 1st to get him and trade. But if he's to be released before then, why not wait?

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rapoport: 'Alex Smith will not be a 49er next year' - NFL Videos

Rappaport says that the interest is bolstered by the way he handled the demotion - that Alex would be classy enough to take a rookie under his wing. I can see this being true, but I wish it weren't. On the one hand, there'd be interest that might not be there if he were less cooperative here. On the other hand, this just puts people in the mindset of him being a rental - it seems being cooperative should be a non-issue, it shouldn't hurt you. Now, being uncooperative wouldn't make him a better QB and people wouldn't hire him because he was uncooperative, it just seems closed minded to use that as a factor. Take him in, see how he can do.

Of course, he'll work hard to play well and if he plays well he could hold off the next guy... unless the next guy's CK-like. If the replacement is drafted for the same offense and skillset but potential based, Smith might hold them off. But Kaep had a different better skillset that advocates a different type of offense. This is why I wondered if Alex would wait until after the draft to sign, but then I realized how long there is between the first FA signing day and the draft.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Reid wanted to sign Smith last year. Miami, Seattle, and Philadelphia. Probably as a backup to Vick until Vick got injured or committed too many turnovers. If Alex goes to Kansas City, he'll get Reid's coaching without the Philadelphia press.

San Francisco 49ers Niner Insider Blog SFGate.com » Trent Dilfer: Andy Reid really likes Alex

NEW ORLEANS – Twenty years after Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs, could Alex Smith be the next longtime 49ers quarterback to finish his career in Kansas City?

Today, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer said new Kansas City coach Andy Reid, then with the Eagles, expressed interest in acquiring Smith when he was a free agent after the 2011 season. According to Dilfer, Reid “really likes Alex.”

“There was a courtship last year, to a certain degree,” Dilfer said.

Asked for specifics of Philadelphia’s dalliance with Smith, he said, “I don’t know a whole lot. I just know there was a courtship. It was not even an inside source, you know what I mean? It was just kind of the scuttle in the offseason.”

Dilfer and Smith are close friends who were teammates in San Francisco from 2006-07.

Smith, who took his only reported free-agent trip to Miami before re-signing with San Francisco in March, is expected to leave the 49ers after the season. Colin Kaepernick supplanted him as the starter in November and his $7.5 million contract for 2013 will become fully guaranteed if he’s still on the roster April 1.

Today, owner Jed York addressed his backup quarterback’s future. In doing so, he echoed Smith, who has denied a report that he will request his release in the offseason.

“You figure out what’s best for guys. What’s best for the team?” York said. “You figure out is there for a spot for him on the team from a (salary) cap standpoint. Yeah, absolutely, there’s a spot for him on the team. From a need standpoint? It’s pretty nice to have two quarterbacks that you feel you can win with.

“Is there going to be demand for a quarterback who’s played as well as he has the last couple years? Yeah. Does he want to go start and play? There’s a lot of things that go into it and we’ll sit down after the Super Bowl and figure out what’s best for everybody and how to move forward.”

Dilfer believes a move to Kansas City could be the best move for Smith. In 2012, the Chiefs went 2-14 while Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn each started eight games. The duo combined to throw eight touchdowns, 20 interceptions and post a 63.9 passer rating.

The last time Smith, 28, played against a Reid-coached team was in 2011. In a 24-23 win at Philadelphia, Smith rallied the 49ers from a 20-point deficit and his 154.3 second-half rating was the best by a San Francisco quarterback in 18 years.

“I think Andy wants to change a little bit offensively,” Dilfer said. “Alex is a guy with a huge capacity (to learn). You can give him a lot and he can handle it. Andy has always been able to get the most out of guys that don’t have extreme talent. And everyone thinks Donavan McNabb was this extremely talented guy. He was as a foot athlete. He was a good thrower, right? And Andy got the most out of him.

“Kevin Kolb, he got the most out of him … He got the most out of guys with enough arm talent.”

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Lord, what does that say about the QB prospects comming out of college that the team with the #1 overall pick would rather select Alex Smith than taking a QB with the #1 pick.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Lord, what does that say about the QB prospects comming out of college that the team with the #1 overall pick would rather select Alex Smith than taking a QB with the #1 pick.

I don't know about Luke Joeckel, but they may want someone else of 1-5 talent. They'll probably trade down if they can, 2-14 teams often just need many good picks versus one great one, I suppose.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Luke Joeckel, but they may want someone else of 1-5 talent. They'll probably trade down if they can, 2-14 teams often just need many good picks versus one great one, I suppose.

Yeah, I won't plug into the draft until after the SB so I don't even know who is out there. But it is kind of strange that a team with the #1 pick and needing a QB would not draft said QB. I still believe Condon will be killing Smith's career to advise him against taking the 49ers offer to remain with the team as a back-up.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if reid wants a quick turnaround i could see him wanting an experienced qb instead of going with a rookie

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I won't plug into the draft until after the SB so I don't even know who is out there. But it is kind of strange that a team with the #1 pick and needing a QB would not draft said QB. I still believe Condon will be killing Smith's career to advise him against taking the 49ers offer to remain with the team as a back-up.

I think he can defer his career focus from being a great backup for a long time to trying to start whenever he can. Not waiting for the starter to get injured. I would imagine the interest in him as a starter over the years can only decline. I don't think he'll get better from the bench, in terms of playing (coaching maybe). Unless you think that Kaep could get injured and Alex be the man again, I disagree with trying to start killing his career. I don't thing being a great backup for longer than a short starting stint and a bit of backing up is a better career move, when he thinks he wants to start. Even then, a year or two at starter's money can make up for a bit of whatever he'd be sacrificing in duration as a backup from now on. He has plenty of money to live out his life and support all his kids and he's smart with money.

He has all the tools of a great backup and those won't go away if he tries to start:

- He's smart and will still be smart even if he fails at starting.
- He's still relatively young, a one or two year deal won't make him too old to back someone up.
- He's professional and prepared, something you want in a backup.
- He's experienced enough to mentor a young player, even if said young player is starting.
- He doesn't burn bridges, so I can't see why he couldn't later be a coach here or wherever he may leave to go.
- He's talented enough to start, and if not, if someone does decide this late in his career that they want to start him, he's talented enough to back someone up later.

I think he needs to take a chance in his career and go somewhere if he can start - whether that be with Kansas City, Cleveland with Norv, or Philadelphia/Bills/Jacksonville. Obviously, if no one wants him, he has no choice and staying here would be best and I do think that if he does leave, he will not be able to come back here. But he only has one more shot if any, he doesn't want to be the backup, I think he'd rather retire to be a coach or something after a stint or two than just be a backup now. I don't know that for a fact, but he does want to play and I can't see preseason being enough.

It's easy for someone to say that since they believe he's a backup, that he should go and try to prolong his backup career, but he's had that feeling and doesn't like it. David Carr was ok with it. Matt Leinart is content going to Houston to backup Schaub and then Oakland to backup Palmer. I don't see Smith as a guy who will quit now when he could have moved on to "greener pastures" after 2010. I heard a lot of people saying that not going to backup Rivers was killing his career. (Assuming that he would fail under Harbaugh.) He feels that he's better than some starting QBs and a fit somewhere. He may or may not be correct, but I feel that belief will give him the best shot at starting and won't take away from backup duty later.

I think if I'm wrong, he'll feel more content that he tried. Seriously, who has ever gone from doing well as a starter to backup and back to starter again? There are plenty who have tried to start one place and then another, only to later backup. I don't see him as someone who will go from starter to the street unless it's his choice. David Carr did it for a game or so when Eli got hurt, but I'm talking long term. Jeff Garcia had some success after here? Alex is 28 years old, he has time. If not, he has money and could be a coach.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, all of this is under the hypothetical that he will start elsewhere, regardless of what we think of him. If he has trade partners who will give up a draft pick and pay the 7.5+, then it's likely he'll start at least for a year. So I could see releasing him without knowing the market and level of interest to be a risk to his career, but not trading him to a willing team. He can't assume that he's going to fail in that year, however strong that possibility is, his agent also wouldn't know the future. Alex needs to be active in his career trying to play, otherwise it's purgatory early. I'd rather give it my shot before going there.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can defer his career focus from being a great backup for a long time to trying to start whenever he can. Not waiting for the starter to get injured. I would imagine the interest in him as a starter over the years can only decline. I don't think he'll get better from the bench, in terms of playing (coaching maybe). Unless you think that Kaep could get injured and Alex be the man again, I disagree with trying to start killing his career. I don't thing being a great backup for longer than a short starting stint and a bit of backing up is a better career move, when he thinks he wants to start. Even then, a year or two at starter's money can make up for a bit of whatever he'd be sacrificing in duration as a backup from now on. He has plenty of money to live out his life and support all his kids and he's smart with money.

He has all the tools of a great backup and those won't go away if he tries to start:

- He's smart and will still be smart even if he fails at starting.
- He's still relatively young, a one or two year deal won't make him too old to back someone up.
- He's professional and prepared, something you want in a backup.
- He's experienced enough to mentor a young player, even if said young player is starting.
- He doesn't burn bridges, so I can't see why he couldn't later be a coach here or wherever he may leave to go.
- He's talented enough to start, and if not, if someone does decide this late in his career that they want to start him, he's talented enough to back someone up later.

I think he needs to take a chance in his career and go somewhere if he can start - whether that be with Kansas City, Cleveland with Norv, or Philadelphia/Bills/Jacksonville. Obviously, if no one wants him, he has no choice and staying here would be best and I do think that if he does leave, he will not be able to come back here. But he only has one more shot if any, he doesn't want to be the backup, I think he'd rather retire to be a coach or something after a stint or two than just be a backup now. I don't know that for a fact, but he does want to play and I can't see preseason being enough.

It's easy for someone to say that since they believe he's a backup, that he should go and try to prolong his backup career, but he's had that feeling and doesn't like it. David Carr was ok with it. Matt Leinart is content going to Houston to backup Schaub and then Oakland to backup Palmer. I don't see Smith as a guy who will quit now when he could have moved on to "greener pastures" after 2010. I heard a lot of people saying that not going to backup Rivers was killing his career. (Assuming that he would fail under Harbaugh.) He feels that he's better than some starting QBs and a fit somewhere. He may or may not be correct, but I feel that belief will give him the best shot at starting and won't take away from backup duty later.

I think if I'm wrong, he'll feel more content that he tried. Seriously, who has ever gone from doing well as a starter to backup and back to starter again? There are plenty who have tried to start one place and then another, only to later backup. I don't see him as someone who will go from starter to the street unless it's his choice. David Carr did it for a game or so when Eli got hurt, but I'm talking long term. Jeff Garcia had some success after here? Alex is 28 years old, he has time. If not, he has money and could be a coach.

Smith has a guaranteed long-term career as a back-up almost anywhere - but going after a starting gig is at best a high-risk proposition that will in all likelihood wind-up with him being released from his starters contract.

My hope for Alex is that he goes on the prove the world wrong and wins a SB (just not against us of course ;) ) I just don't see Alex going to an entirely new team & system and tossing up 90+ QB ratings; but, like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if reid wants a quick turnaround i could see him wanting an experienced qb instead of going with a rookie

I can see that, but that would likely put him back where he is right now - just one year later?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has a guaranteed long-term career as a back-up almost anywhere - but going after a starting gig is at best a high-risk proposition that will in all likelihood wind-up with him being released from his starters contract.

My hope for Alex is that he goes on the prove the world wrong and wins a SB (just not against us of course ;) ) I just don't see Alex going to an entirely new team & system and tossing up 90+ QB ratings; but, like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

You know me. I'm a fan of Alex Smith. But not even I think that'll happen. I just am opposed to him not giving his best shot to do what you said you'd like him to do (if we are already unfortunately eliminated). I understand how this system helped him a lot not only in winning but in posting those 90+ ratings. I'd just be disappointed in him if he just, in what my opinion is, quit. I just don't think a guaranteed long-term career as a backup anywhere is worth a shot at starting when he has a shot at a long-term backup career later. Both of those are risks, but I just look at this differently. Money that he's already made and more from this year trial, informs my opinion a bit. He'll make 8.5 this year, that's 4 years of being a backup, maybe. Chances to coach later informs my opinion a bit. When he retires, by choice or by force, I think he'll benefit in life more by pushing.

I respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, but if he has a shot with someone better than the Jets/Jacksonville (I think when Ryan's gone they'll clean house), I'd be disappointed, for him, if he came back. I see Kansas City, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Arizona are better than that. I'd be happy for us, of course, and feel better for our emergencies. I never thought it was better for us for him to leave rather than a smaller contract here as a backup. I see being a backup as extremely important if the starter gets injured, but mostly irrelevant if he doesn't. I see people refusing to give Alex credit at all for this year, even when he started half the year to help get the second seed and has helped Kaep. What would he get if he were the long term backup, nothing. Of course, I've also seen guys that are ridiculously overrating him or his part, too. I don't think Alex cares that much about credit and he could feel appreciated by the players and coaches, it's just not worth it, to me (if I were him). He'll be a good teammate wherever he goes, starter or backup.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know me. I'm a fan of Alex Smith. But not even I think that'll happen. I just am opposed to him not giving his best shot to do what you said you'd like him to do (if we are already unfortunately eliminated). I understand how this system helped him a lot not only in winning but in posting those 90+ ratings. I'd just be disappointed in him if he just, in what my opinion is, quit. I just don't think a guaranteed long-term career as a backup anywhere is worth a shot at starting when he has a shot at a long-term backup career later. Both of those are risks, but I just look at this differently. Money that he's already made and more from this year trial, informs my opinion a bit. He'll make 8.5 this year, that's 4 years of being a backup, maybe. Chances to coach later informs my opinion a bit. When he retires, by choice or by force, I think he'll benefit in life more by pushing.

I respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, but if he has a shot with someone better than the Jets/Jacksonville (I think when Ryan's gone they'll clean house), I'd be disappointed, for him, if he came back. I see Kansas City, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Arizona are better than that. I'd be happy for us, of course, and feel better for our emergencies. I never thought it was better for us for him to leave rather than a smaller contract here as a backup. I see being a backup as extremely important if the starter gets injured, but mostly irrelevant if he doesn't. I see people refusing to give Alex credit at all for this year, even when he started half the year to help get the second seed and has helped Kaep. What would he get if he were the long term backup, nothing. Of course, I've also seen guys that are ridiculously overrating him or his part, too. I don't think Alex cares that much about credit and he could feel appreciated by the players and coaches, it's just not worth it, to me (if I were him). He'll be a good teammate wherever he goes, starter or backup.

No doubt about that my friend - no doubt about that!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that my friend - no doubt about that!

Someone very crazily bumped that one thread that we argued forever; man, I'm glad those days are over. I wish I could delete that whole thread, well at least the conversation. I think I know you better and can avoid such stupid arguments. Such circular bull-shit. July was definitely not the best time in my life, things were all over the place, I for some reason got pissed very easily. And here was an outlet that I didn't want conflict - but for some reason, I therefore got too sensitive whenever there was an inkling of conflict. But things got better and I have since enjoyed this season.

Cheers! :tea:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone very crazily bumped that one thread that we argued forever; man, I'm glad those days are over. I wish I could delete that whole thread, well at least the conversation. I think I know you better and can avoid such stupid arguments. Such circular bull-shit. July was definitely not the best time in my life, things were all over the place, I for some reason got pissed very easily. And here was an outlet that I didn't want conflict - but for some reason, I therefore got too sensitive whenever there was an inkling of conflict. But things got better and I have since enjoyed this season.

Cheers! :tea:

Eeh, if it happened yesterday it's meaningless