• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Alex might be traded not cut

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has higher picks, but they'rd probably going to offer a similar value in terms of picks (if they were even interested). They're not going to look at a "second rounder" statically; they'll look at it like the 33rd pick.

Alex would get murdered in NY.

Yeah, I don't want Alex in NY. Obviously, I'm more of a fan than most if not all here, though.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by NinerSickness
KC has higher picks, but they'rd probably going to offer a similar value in terms of picks (if they were even interested). They're not going to look at a "second rounder" statically; they'll look at it like the 33rd pick.

Alex would get murdered in NY.

I think Alex is more mentally tough than Sanchez.....Rex would need another tattoo but hey there's plenty of real estate on his fat a**.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex is more mentally tough than Sanchez.....Rex would need another tattoo but hey there's plenty of real estate on his fat ass.

FIFY. I don't why, but it seems pretty common that people when trying to type the letter "s", accidentally press shift + 8. :confused::confused2:

;)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason a team would trade for him rather than wait for him to be cut is to ensure they get him. The question is what do the teams that have interest value him at? Do they consider a 3rd round pick good enough value to make sure they don't have to compete with 2, 3 or 4 other teams to get his services (I don't think we get a 3rd, we MIGHT be able to pull a 4th, but it's a longshot).

The one advantage we do have when it comes to trading him is that this year does not look to be a strong QB draft class, and there are half a dozen or so teams that could be looking for a QB.

I still doubt we can trade him (maybe for a 5th or 6th), but that's the argument that he can be traded.

It won't happen. No one wants Smith that badly that they would not wait for free agency.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd rather get a pick next year. We already have 13(?) picks this year. There's no way those guys all make the roster. Adding another pick this year, particularly if it's a 4th or 5th, could lead to us getting nothing for him.

That being I said, I expect Baalke to be quite active in the draft this year, moving up at least once.

Yeah, I think regardless we will move around a lot this year. And I wouldn't be surprised to see another situation where we create picks for next year like we did with our 3rd this past year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, we'll never hear it from him. It isn't that he wants to prevent us from getting a return for him, it's either his agent thinking he could get more elsewhere as a FA or him wanting to go where he chooses. I can't see him choosing a place like Arizona just to spite us. I see him wanting to choose where it is best for him to try and start. That may be Arizona, but I doubt it. And the Niners have to consider it, no matter how nice of a guy Smith seems or bad the situation is, Arizona could be a choice.

I think he doesn't want a scenario where he goes to NY Jets or somewhere he thinks is a bad situation. He'd want to help us, probably, but just for Revis, he might hope to avoid that. Like any of us would want (to avoid the Jets or choose our place of employment). He, of course, doesn't actually have a choice - but I don't see him trying to bully us, I just think that might be his request. Or maybe he's setting up a compromise situation - for example, he works with the team to get traded to his choice. That might have been the Niners plans all along, to be accommodating, but his agent knows more about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl Preview

What Alex Smith must really be thinking.

We've all seen it in the last two months: Alex Smith is the NFL's MVM ... Most Valuable Mensch. Look at his career path: First pick of the 2005 draft. Clearly over-drafted because the 49ers needed a quarterback so desperately. Played before he was ready. Middle name through his first six seasons: "Embattled." Career rescued by Jim Harbaugh, though he constantly looked over his shoulder in the Harbaugh Era with the arrival of Colin Kaepernick and the specter of Peyton Manning. NFL's top-rated passer (104.3) through 10 weeks. Completed 18 of 19 passes in his last full game, at Arizona. Took a week off due to a concussion suffered the next game against St. Louis. Lost his job in that one week off to Kaepernick, who never had started an NFL game. Kaepernick quarterbacked the Niners to the Super Bowl. Smith will watch. Smith will likely quarterback another team in 2013.

"It sucks, to put it frankly,'' Smith told me the other day. "Tough pill to swallow."

An honest admission from Smith. But that's it. That's all the negativity Smith has right now. Everything else is sunshine and light and "Go Niners!" He will be one of the go-to stories this week for the nation's sports media, and I don't expect him to bleed for them much more than he did for me. Because he understands football isn't always fair, and there's no use crying about it. The team's winning, and when you go to the Super Bowl, no one cares who gets left on the side of the road. Smith has stood on the sidelines in the last couple of months and parceled out advice to help Kaepernick. "It's got to be tough,'' Kaepernick said after his first start, "but Alex is so good to me." And still is.

"It's part of who I am,'' Smith said. "It's football. Guys get hurt all the time. Obviously, I feel like I earned the job, and I was doing better and better. But being able to be out there all the time is part of the deal. I knew very well when I went out that I was giving him [Kaepernick] a shot at the job. And now we've seen what Colin is capable of. He's a very unique talent, and he's made the most of his opportunity. At the same time, this is exactly how I got my start in college. And I think the biggest thing I can point to in how I've handled this is that I saw how some mature quarterbacks handled it. That started in college, with Brett Elliott.''

Smith explained that, at Utah in 2003, he battled incumbent Elliott for the starting job, lost, but won it when Elliott, in the second game of the season, broke his wrist. And there was no turning back when Smith beat Cal (and Aaron Rodgers), then Colorado State, and then, in a Thursday night TV game, Oregon. Now the job was his.

Elliott is now a grad-assistant coach at Mississippi State. I spoke with him, and he was flattered that Smith recalled being treated well nine seasons ago at Utah by a heartbroken teammate.

"There's no other way to look at it,'' said Elliott, "than you're totally bummed out. It sucked.''

Sounds familiar.

"It's a unique situation,'' said Elliott, "and really tough for people to understand. It's the most unique place you can be. The most unique situation in life. You're so invested, being the leader and the guy everybody looks to, your life revolving around this. And then in one play, it's gone. You are absolutely heartbroken and depressed.

"I mean, if you play special teams, you can at least go back and play, because there's not just one special teams player. At quarterback, there's just one. It's your job or it isn't. I remember being so heartbroken. Those 5 a.m. workouts, you're so committed to the team. Maybe if I was a freshman, I'd have handled it poorly. But I was on the leadership committee of the team. I was a Ute. I was all-in.

"You watch practice and the games, and you see another guy out there, and you think, 'That's my center. This is my team. This is my offense.' All of a sudden, it's not. But you want the team to win, because you love the team and love the guys. And I really liked Alex. He was my friend. I helped him any way I could. But at the same time, you're pissed. Really pissed. You celebrate when the team wins, but you're not as into it as you would be. You try, but it only goes so far. I just don't quite know how to explain it all."

You just did.

Elliott hosted Smith on Smith's recruiting trip to Utah. Most days after breaking his wrist, Elliott had some advice for Smith in the quarterback room during meetings. And then, at the end of the season, Elliott transferred to Linfield (Ore.) College and played well enough to get a free agent deal with the Chargers out of college.

Since then, Smith said he's been helped by Tim Rattay, Trent Dilfer and Shaun Hill, and he's tried to help in return when he was the backup. When Harbaugh chose Kaepernick in November, Smith told him he wouldn't have to worry about any behind-the-back comments. He told Kaepernick when he got the job: "Trust what you see. Trust your eyes. Trust your feet. You're a good player; you've seen it before."

Smith hasn't lost confidence in his ability, saying he is "absolutely sure'' he can be a good quarterback in the league for years. But he says he won't think about the future now. Not this week. What will this week be like for Smith? "I am trying to stay in the moment, and I am excited about this,'' Smith said. "We have a great locker room. I love my teammates. How often do you have a chance, whether you're playing or not, to go to the Super Bowl? We have to get prepared to play and to win a big game, and that's fun. These opportunities don't come around very often.''

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I would like to see is Alex gets traded to the team he actually wants to go to, and 49ers get a draft pick in return.

That way everybody is happy.

I think he deserves that. If we end up with a 4th round pick instead of a 3rd round pick so be it.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith has been a stand up guy, he took the demotion and kept quiet didnt blow up the lockerrom didn't cause a scene or demand a trade. So I think they should let him give them a list of teams he wants to be traded to or to give him his release. Its a time where you pay the guy back for putting the team before his own ego and for his service to the team.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because Smith wants to be released, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. I like, most Niners fans want Alex to succeed wherever he goes because he's been such a great team player for us. We all know the excuses as to why he hasn't performed well since he got here. Maybe Harbaugh is just that great with QB development, or perhaps Alex is in fact a pretty good qb who may continue to improve. If the latter is true, do we want him ending up going against us twice a year? Obviously that team has a ton of holes, but he would certainly have more WR weapons there than he ever had here. Keep in mind he's still only 28 years old.

I would prefer to see him give our F.O. a list of top choices, and see if we can't find a suitable trading partner. I think a conditional 2014 pick would be our best option.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because Smith wants to be released, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. I like, most Niners fans want Alex to succeed wherever he goes because he's been such a great team player for us. We all know the excuses as to why he hasn't performed well since he got here. Maybe Harbaugh is just that great with QB development, or perhaps Alex is in fact a pretty good qb who may continue to improve. If the latter is true, do we want him ending up going against us twice a year? Obviously that team has a ton of holes, but he would certainly have more WR weapons there than he ever had here. Keep in mind he's still only 28 years old.

I would prefer to see him give our F.O. a list of top choices, and see if we can't find a suitable trading partner. I think a conditional 2014 pick would be our best option.

Yeah, releasing him would be the second worst option, IMO (keeping him without restructure would be the worst due to other spots we need the money). I think that's just Folio guessing what Smith would want or the media guessing on the agent's next move. I think asking for release is the player, trading to the best bid is the team, what you spoke of in the bold is the compromise. Hopefully where he wants to go happens to be the highest bidder.

I don't want him going to Arizona, because I think they have too many holes and are in our division. I don't want them having our playbook (though Kaep changes that a bit and film shows a lot anyway) and I don't want to have to root against him further than just head-to-head games. St. Louis made this year's second seed difficult - what if we split with St. Louis due to Fisher and split with Arizona due to the trade? I think we should win enough that it doesn't matter and the division wouldn't be threatened, but all it takes is one loss to a winnable team to screw up first seed.

If he's outside of conference, to specific teams, only the SB would we face him and that's extremely unlikely - both due to him and the teams that need a QB. If he faces any of our conference elite (besides us), we'd have no reason to root against his team.

I hope his list has either the Kansas City Chiefs because they are outside the division and have good pieces and a good coach, or if he has to be in the conference, Philadelphia because I'd like him on the big stage again. Probably a bad move, but iisk nothing, get nothing. No Jets and no Cards!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we rewarded him before last season with a new contract. he got outplayed and lost his job. pretty simple...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we rewarded him before last season with a new contract. he got outplayed and lost his job. pretty simple...

I think people are filling in the blanks here. I think he would like to have his options available and the agent and he knows that the best way is to be released. I could see the agent playing up the way he's handled everything and equating that with justification for reward for professionalism, but I don't think this is Alex asking for a reward for performing his contract well. I could see him not wanting to be "rewarded" for his professionalism by being dealt to the Circus Jets. So maybe there's resistance there.

If his agent thinks he can get more money if he's released that's likely where all this is coming from. Sure, Smith like any player would like more money, but since his agent knows more about that and gets a bit of the commission, I see this move being agent based. Of course, if Smith can find a trade partner with someone he wants to work with, then he could would on an extension if he's so inclined. It's funny how his agent was ignoring him last year to help Manning and now he's publicly leaking things to help Smith, but only looks bad for Smith.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hello, iguana - is that you??? - I agree, pretty simple!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The talk on KNBR today has been that the Niners may be thinking of trying to keep Smith as a backup, rather than release OR trade him. Said that may have been what prompted the report that he wants out, and Jed hinted at it in an interview with Radnich.....said that there is plenty of reason for the Niners to want to keep him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The talk on KNBR today has been that the Niners may be thinking of trying to keep Smith as a backup, rather than release OR trade him. Said that may have been what prompted the report that he wants out, and Jed hinted at it in an interview with Radnich.....said that there is plenty of reason for the Niners to want to keep him.

That might just be postering. I hope it is.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would think so.......one of the reasons cited (admittedly by the dummy Fitz) was that "they'd only have 8 million in the QB position, some other teams have 20 million". But then talk about how much we have invested in the LB position as opposed to other teams....probably more than almost anyone else.