• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Alex might be traded not cut

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed today that Smith has played in 80 games in his career - an exact multiple of 16. So just for curiosity sake, not trying to make a point good or bad, I grouped each 16.

Now, some games are not complete, for example, his first game in 2005, he went 0-1. His last two games of 2012, he went 7-8 and 1-1 respectively. I still counted those as games. He's only started 75 out of the 80 games, playing one half in the Houston Texans game, one half against Carolina Panthers, and 1 snap against Seattle in 2007 when he got injured. But I counted all of those.

Again, not making any serious claims, thought I would show what my curiosity found rather than just deleting. The only thing I can see, and I would say this without this chart, is that he could have perhaps 3 years of 3000 yards and 20+ TDs if he played 16 games (the last year here had the Rams tie game and the Arizona 1-throw as 2 total games). That isn't great, of course. Durability is an issue and I know you can't combine years. But I read comments to articles as if he couldn't reach those numbers in a years worth of games (couldn't his first 2 years of games) until last year and even then, not the TDs. This was when he had 18 TDs in 11 games in 2009 and people would say, "he can't get even 20 TDs." I'd stick to not being able to beat out Shaun Hill in the off-season, that means more.

Five Years.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep is no comparison, here are the numbers for the 7 starts and it extrapolated. It isn't close. The record would be 11.4 - 4.6 so I indicated "> 11-5" Didn't want to put "11-4-1" because I hate ties and one might think I was putting the Rams tie game on him.

Kaep Start.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My computer apparently is having problems with the bolding, I didn't mean to bold the data, but it's a bit Freudian as YPA is big.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get along with most anybody fine, I actually think the only person I've ever argued with here was you, though I know I annoyed Clyde a bit with my Alex talk. I think I've ben able to avoid arguments with you for the most part lately. I just thought that I rarely have discussions with many here because my posts are so long and focused a lot on the QBs and opinion. I've been trying to follow the draft and Culliver talk, etc. but it's not catching on. I'm just not that interested.

I'm a QB-focused person, but Kaep doesn't leave me with much to say because there aren't the things I feel I need to defend him on. (Need's too strong of word, but you know what I mean.) I'm not much to gush on someone, I usually just make comments responding to others. If I agree I'll say so or let be. Sort of like Patrick Willis. What would I have to say about him? Compare him to Ray Lewis?

My posts get so long because I anticipate what someone could say or misinterpret from what I typed and pre-emptively try to explain it, then the explanation then goes forever. It's just my personality. But I know people skip over my posts then. Oh well.

You can't tell with this post, but I am shortening my posts up because no one wants to read novels. What I have to say isn't that interesting. I'll just write and clarify later if need be.

Haha, Yeah, your posts are long; and, admittedly, I'm guilty of not reading many of them. Even those I am responding to I tend to scan for the just focal points. That said, every now & again you post an opinion or commentary that is long but well written and on point and I like those.

Maybe editing out the anticipatory part(s) of your posts will help shorten them. Just a thought. As for the board wars, I had those with six others including the one with yourself. I do not seek them and I believe I do not invite them and I am certainly not entertained by them - but they happen.

As someone who has written articles about (49ers) football and still does film for various sources, I'm really here just to contribute to the forum. Some days people agree with you - some days they don't. Some days they are going to be respectful and some days they aren't - What are you gonna do?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
send him to the vikes for percy

I'd imagine that if the Vikings were interested in Smith they'd ask Singletary what he thought of him after being his HC. I doubt Singletary's opinion has changed much since he tried unsuccessfully to replace Alex with Troy.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want them to trade Alex to KC for Eric Berry. Hopefully Reid likes Alex as much as Dilfer thinks he does.

I'd throw in Whitner for a 3rd or 4th to get the deal done.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
send him to the vikes for percy

I think the Vikes already have a younger/similar version of Alex in Ponder. I'm not saying that in a bad way, He wasn't great, but I think Ponder did some good things in his second year and will continue to develop.