• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's legacy takes the biggest hit after losing this final?

Who's legacy takes a bigger hit?

• Durant

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Lebron

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD's legacy will take the bigger hit. LeBron's already won rings w/ 2 different teams. How could a player w/ 3 rings take a bigger hit than a player w/ no rings that joined a team he couldn't beat?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD's legacy will take the bigger hit. LeBron's already won rings w/ 2 different teams. How could a player w/ 3 rings take a bigger hit than a player w/ no rings that joined a team he couldn't beat?

Dear God, I so want Durant to lose this series

I dont remember an athlete that went from so beloved to so hated, and not just cause he went to GS, this guy has become a massive douche in every interview/Tweet

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to the nature of sports fandom, I will say that it will be LeBron's legacy, even though it may be unfair, that will take the bigger hit.

Simply because he has the bigger legacy.

If LeBron was 6-0 in the Finals in his career, maybe not so much.

But his critics love to point out his Finals losses to hold against him and they will definitely do that if he loses again.

The fact is that Durant has never been placed on the LeBron Pedestal. No one ever says Durant > Jordan or Durant = GOAT.

Same criticism Peyton Manning got for his barely .500 career playoff record.

Same praise Tom Brady gets for the handful of Super Bowl rings.

When you are held to that high of a standard, when you fail to with the championship, that becomes a blow to your legacy.

It may not necessarily be fair, but who said life was fair?

Plus, Durant is practically a third wheel in Golden State.

LeBron is the unquestioned leader in Cleveland.

So, again, a loss in the Finals will be held more against LeBron than it will be against Durant.

Just because of how high their respective legacies are.

Wow, those are some really good points. Plus, Lebron is the most polarizing player in the league (I heard yesterday that he's both the most popular and most unpopular player in the league), so that definitely plays into it.

KD's legacy should take the bigger hit, but you may very well be right that it will be Lebron. KD certainly hasn't faced the level of criticism for leaving that Lebron has.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, those are some really good points. Plus, Lebron is the most polarizing player in the league (I heard yesterday that he's both the most popular and most unpopular player in the league), so that definitely plays into it.

KD's legacy should take the bigger hit, but you may very well be right that it will be Lebron. KD certainly hasn't faced the level of criticism for leaving that Lebron has.

Durant also didn't have an hour long ESPN special dedicated to where KD will play next year so that may hve something to do with it.

That show should be renamed The Really Bad Decision because going on ESPN like that to announce your free agency was a really bad decision.

But, yeah, there are some fans out there, and on The Hoop here, who can list there favorite teams like this:

Favorite team: Whoever is playing against LeBron

Second favorite team: The team in my profile pic.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me see if I got it all straight:

Lebron and Durant are douches for being on Superteams

One of them will lose a Finals to the other Superteam

This will make them a choker because they lost to a Superteam.

Did I miss anything?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear God, I so want Durant to lose this series

I dont remember an athlete that went from so beloved to so hated, and not just cause he went to GS, this guy has become a massive douche in every interview/Tweet

Could you imagine the backlash if LeBron had went to a team he couldn't beat? I thought it was classless on LeBron's part w/ that televised Decision shit. But I still say what KD did is much worse. And yes LeBron teamed up w/ 2 All Stars but KD teamed up w/ 3. And the Warriors were the 2x defending conference champs w/ the 2x League MVP when he joined them.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me see if I got it all straight:

Lebron and Durant are douches for being on Superteams

One of them will lose a Finals to the other Superteam

This will make them a choker because they lost to a Superteam.

Did I miss anything?

How handsome I look this morning

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant also didn't have an hour long ESPN special dedicated to where KD will play next year so that may hve something to do with it.

Yeah, I have no problem with Lebron leaving. He was an FA each time, had fulfilled his contract and was doing what he felt was best for him. I do have issues though with how he left each time.

That show should be renamed The Really Bad Decision because going on ESPN like that to announce your free agency was a really bad decision.

Even Lebron has finally said that if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't do it.

But, yeah, there are some fans out there, and on The Hoop here, who can list there favorite teams like this:

Favorite team: Whoever is playing against LeBron

Second favorite team: The team in my profile pic.

Lol. No doubt.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine the backlash if LeBron had went to a team he couldn't beat? I thought it was classless on LeBron's part w/ that televised Decision shit. But I still say what KD did is much worse. And yes LeBron teamed up w/ 2 All Stars but KD teamed up w/ 3. And the Warriors were the 2x defending conference champs w/ the 2x League MVP when he joined them.

There 2 situations could not be more different, and the comparison is ONLY made by those who really hate Lebron, and there are plenty

I never hated Durant, but thought what he did was as cowardly as anything Ive ever seen from a superstar athlete

Durant went to a team that was already going to be heavy favorites to reach the NBA Finals, without him

The Cavs are NBA Finals contenders BECAUSE of Lebron, HUGE HUGE Difference

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I see I did miss something:

"Players should never leave teams because...

...it's douchey."

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There 2 situations could not be more different, and the comparison is ONLY made by those who really hate Lebron, and there are plenty

I never hated Durant, but thought what he did was as cowardly as anything Ive ever seen from a superstar athlete

Durant went to a team that was already going to be heavy favorites to reach the NBA Finals, without him

I agree w/ you. I still think the Warriors will win but I'll be rooting for the Cavs since the Celtics are now on vacation.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger question is who does Lebron cheer for if the Yankees and Indians meet in the ALCS

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, I don't have a problem with either of them leaving. They both left for what they felt were better situations. I'm not going to criticize any player for that.

I do, however, have a problem with how Lebron left both times and none with how KD left.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I don't have a problem with either of them leaving. They both left for what they felt were better situations. I'm not going to criticize any player for that.

I do, however, have a problem with how Lebron left both times and none with how KD left.

My biggest problem was this perception that they were both "joining super teams to chase a title"

Fact is, Durant did exactly that, while Lebron makes almost any team a Super Team has soon as he steps in the building

he did join a Cavs team that just won the #1 pick in the draft the prior season

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest problem was this perception that they were both "joining super teams to chase a title"

Fact is, Durant did exactly that, while Lebron makes almost any team a Super Team has soon as he steps in the building

he did join a Cavs team that just won the #1 pick in the draft the prior season

Keep in mind, Lebron was going to a superteam when he went to Miami. Also, the lottery winning Cleveland team wasn't the team Lebron joined. 11 of the players that were on the roster at the end of that season, were not on the roster when the Cavs played their first game with Lebron back. Also, the #1 draft pick never wore a Cavs uniform, he was traded for Kevin Love.

The only real difference, imo, is that Lebron had a direct hand in forming each of the superteams that he joined, where KD went to one that was already formed.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind, Lebron was going to a superteam when he went to Miami. Also, the lottery winning Cleveland team wasn't the team Lebron joined. 11 of the players that were on the roster at the end of that season, were not on the roster when the Cavs played their first game with Lebron back. Also, the #1 draft pick never wore a Cavs uniform, he was traded for Kevin Love.

The only real difference, imo, is that Lebron had a direct hand in forming each of the superteams that he joined, where KD went to one that was already formed.

The major difference to me will always be Lebron, even when he joined Miami, is the player turning those teams from "pretty good" to title contenders

Durant may have a similar impact had he gone to Boston or stayed in OKC, but he chose the easiest path for sure

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major difference to me will always be Lebron, even when he joined Miami, is the player turning those teams from "pretty good" to title contenders

Durant may have a similar impact had he gone to Boston or stayed in OKC, but he chose the easiest path for sure

True, but Lebron is also the better player, so he's going to have more impact on any roster. No one talks about KD being a top 5 all time player while most folks have Lebron pretty solidly in their top 5 all time.

If they were to switch teams, the Cavs probably still make the finals, but the Warriors might be unbeaten. lol

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Lebron is also the better player, so he's going to have more impact on any roster. No one talks about KD being a top 5 all time player while most folks have Lebron pretty solidly in their top 5 all time.

If they were to switch teams, the Cavs probably still make the finals, but the Warriors might be unbeaten. lol

Agreed

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant. Lebron already has his titles. Durant doesn't and went to Golden State to win a title.