• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would you rather have: Jimmy G or Carson Wentz?

Who would you rather have?

• Jimmy G

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Carson Wentz

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 33 44.0%

• Total voters

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he's not good. But is he good enough?
No. And he messed up more than one pass in the super bowl. Most his yards were YAC. His first half like 90 of his 120 were dump offs for big gains. But man that box score always looks pretty!

shanny wouldn’t even let him try at the end of the half...couldn’t of been more telling.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. And he messed up more than one pass in the super bowl. Most his yards were YAC. His first half like 90 of his 120 were dump offs for big gains. But man that box score always looks pretty!

shanny wouldn’t even let him try at the end of the half...couldn’t of been more telling.
No one makes every throw
My point is, he was one miss away from SuperBowl MVP.
I already agree with you he's not good.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both suck....is it German potato salad?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he's not good. But is he good enough?
I posted in the other thread about JimmyG that Lynch thought he was because that's what the Bucs and Ravens did in the early 2000s. But in today's NFL, you can no longer win that way, imo. At some point, your QB has to win you a big game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted in the other thread about JimmyG that Lynch thought he was because that's what the Bucs and Ravens did in the early 2000s. But in today's NFL, you can no longer win that way, imo. At some point, your QB has to win you a big game.
He won a couple regular season games himself last year, and he was one overthrow away from winning the Bowl. But I get what you are saying.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won a couple regular season games himself last year, and he was one overthrow away from winning the Bowl. But I get what you are saying.
This is where I was disagreeing with you. He “kinda” was an overthrow away from the Super Bowl.
It was flawed . In the first half he had well over 100 passing yards In The first half , and a great completion percentage. His qb rating was massive as was his qbr. But like literally 80% of his yards were yac. He wasn’t making plays. He dumped at or behind the line and let the dudes roll. Box scored looks nice though. When he had to throw and win he struggled. So to me that’s unbelievably flawed.

he relies on small dump offs and screens for a majority of his yards. He leads the nfl in YaC and has for some time. His air yards are always bottom of the nfl. Heck a few games ago when he had 250+ yards and 3 tds . His first half he literally had almost all his passing from yac behind the line. ThTs shanny, That’s not him.

Has he made some plays? Yeah he’s in the nfl. I’d hope he hits a few throws. You can point to plays here and there, absolutely. But a deeper dive reveals a different qb. It also reveals major flaws in box scores, qb rating, and qbr.

I am by no means trying to be a jerk. Merely having a discussion. But what he’s asked to do, and some of the things he’s done ....were the coach and the system....he’s played a role at times....absolutely. But most of the time. It’s that damn shanahan system, and his Uber athletic receiving corps, and the damn blocking scheme.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I was disagreeing with you. He “kinda” was an overthrow away from the Super Bowl.
It was flawed . In the first half he had well over 100 passing yards In The first half , and a great completion percentage. His qb rating was massive as was his qbr. But like literally 80% of his yards were yac. He wasn’t making plays. He dumped at or behind the line and let the dudes roll. Box scored looks nice though. When he had to throw and win he struggled. So to me that’s unbelievably flawed.

he relies on small dump offs and screens for a majority of his yards. He leads the nfl in YaC and has for some time. His air yards are always bottom of the nfl. Heck a few games ago when he had 250+ yards and 3 tds . His first half he literally had almost all his passing from yac behind the line. ThTs shanny, That’s not him.

Has he made some plays? Yeah he’s in the nfl. I’d hope he hits a few throws. You can point to plays here and there, absolutely. But a deeper dive reveals a different qb. It also reveals major flaws in box scores, qb rating, and qbr.

I am by no means trying to be a jerk. Merely having a discussion. But what he’s asked to do, and some of the things he’s done ....were the coach and the system....he’s played a role at times....absolutely. But most of the time. It’s that damn shanahan system, and his Uber athletic receiving corps, and the damn blocking scheme.

Some of that YAC could be said of guys like Kurt Warner, Steve Young, or any QB that ran a WCO back in the day. You can't fault a guy for running his offensive scheme. Hell Pat Mahomes is on the top of that YAC stat too. The Chiefs run just as many gimmick screens as SF does. And last season he had the exact same CAY/comp as Aaron Rodgers.

Yes Jimmy has his flaws. But I am not sure pointing out his YAC is the way to go.

Honestly the hate towards Jimmy is a little exaggerated. Dude took his team to the SB last year, went 13-3, completed almost 70% of his throws, threw for 4000 yards with a 27-13 ratio, and a 102 QB rating.

He might not be the next Dan Marino.....but does anyone think SF can just decide to move on from Garoppolo last offseason or this coming offseason and find a better QB than him? Because if people think that, they aren't paying enough attention to the NFL. Great QB's are HARD to find. Even good QB's don't grow on trees. Anyone think they would be better off with Cam Newton of Phillip Rivers?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of that YAC could be said of guys like Kurt Warner, Steve Young, or any QB that ran a WCO back in the day. You can't fault a guy for running his offensive scheme. Hell Pat Mahomes is on the top of that YAC stat too. The Chiefs run just as many gimmick screens as SF does. And last season he had the exact same CAY/comp as Aaron Rodgers.

Yes Jimmy has his flaws. But I am not sure pointing out his YAC is the way to go.

Honestly the hate towards Jimmy is a little exaggerated. Dude took his team to the SB last year, went 13-3, completed almost 70% of his throws, threw for 4000 yards with a 27-13 ratio, and a 102 QB rating.

He might not be the next Dan Marino.....but does anyone think SF can just decide to move on from Garoppolo last offseason or this coming offseason and find a better QB than him? Because if people think that, they aren't paying enough attention to the NFL. Great QB's are HARD to find. Even good QB's don't grow on trees. Anyone think they would be better off with Cam Newton of Phillip Rivers?
His yac exceeds most. Do you have a current stat? Or speculating? I’d bet without looking that Warner and mahomes air yards trounce Jimmy’s.

yes he had high completions, and yards, and td/int.... that’s is kinda my point.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His yac exceeds most. Do you have a current stat? Or speculating? I’d bet without looking that Warner and mahomes air yards trounce Jimmy’s.

yes he had high completions, and yards, and td/int.... that’s is kinda my point.

2019 NFL Advanced Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That is last year's stats.

This years:
2020 NFL Advanced Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Best look out. There is a QB that is pretty familiar to you as a Steeler fan that has very similar in IAY/Cmp and CAY/PA as Garoppolo (I am pretty sure that is the first time I have ever spelt his name correctly).

These stats are all relatively new. I wish I could find Matt Ryan's stats over his career to see how they changed under Shanahan.

And don't get me wrong here. I am not saying Jimmy is some world beater. But he is a legit NFL starter. And that is harder to find than people think in this league at that QB position. Easy to say "we should move onto someone else" and then go through a full decade of complete QB incompetence. You draft the wrong rookie and that is 4 years of suck at the position.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 NFL Advanced Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That is last year's stats.

This years:
2020 NFL Advanced Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Best look out. There is a QB that is pretty familiar to you as a Steeler fan that has very similar in IAY/Cmp and CAY/PA as Garoppolo (I am pretty sure that is the first time I have ever spelt his name correctly).

These stats are all relatively new. I wish I could find Matt Ryan's stats over his career to see how they changed under Shanahan.

And don't get me wrong here. I am not saying Jimmy is some world beater. But he is a legit NFL starter. And that is harder to find than people think in this league at that QB position. Easy to say "we should move onto someone else" and then go through a full decade of complete QB incompetence. You draft the wrong rookie and that is 4 years of suck at the position.
Oh bens absolutely up there this year. No denying that. He’s not what he used to be. He can unhinge when he has to. But the game has changed with his weapons age and health. But yeah absolutely.

However jimmy is listed with games... Two of them he left early...and still top 20. So ...that lends some play there.

I’d cross reference this with air yards and intended air yards, completed air yards and complete air yards an attempt where he’s bottom 2 across the board with dink n dunk brees and Haskins. Again I’m just having discussion. Not attacking or being a dick.

I admit I’m a bit shocked on Mahomes. Crossing with air yards he’s around 20.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I’m a bit shocked on Mahomes. Crossing with air yards he’s around 20.

I don't have a stat to back it up but I bet you the Chief's throw the most screens in the NFL. If not the most, they have to be close. Obviously Mahomes can chuck the rock down the field too. But they build in a ton of easy throws for him too.

And why not? When you are as scared as a defense of getting beat deep like you are against the Chief's, it makes the screen game twice as effective.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a stat to back it up but I bet you the Chief's throw the most screens in the NFL. If not the most, they have to be close. Obviously Mahomes can chuck the rock down the field too. But they build in a ton of easy throws for him too.

And why not? When you are as scared as a defense of getting beat deep like you are against the Chief's, it makes the screen game twice as effective.
No your’re spot on sir.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids In The Hall Picnic GIF by Jason Clarke

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree the yac yds aren't the end all, be all but most of those other guys when the defenses come up and defend that can go downfield when asked. When Jimmy is forced to do that, we see accuracy issues and more turnover worthy plays than most. I think that's where this debate lies and from what I've seen, it seems Shanahan really protects him from that a lot.
Fwiw, I don't really think JimmyG is awful. I just think we can see his limitations and for what they pay him and what they need, it's not enough to get the Niners where they want to be, imo.