• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who won yesterday? The element of surprise

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sheagle offense won't last a full season before teams figure them out. It's nothing but a hyper hurry up o.

All that bullshit about "running multiple plays from multiple formations," is crap.

There isn't a single thing that the Sheagles can do that won't be countered like the wildcat and the run n gun.

They don't have the talent, or the speed, or the wr's, to keep it up.

Bracket DeSean Jackson all game, shade towards the tight end, and blitz Vick as often as possible, and the offense grinds to a halt.

Wanna spread the ball out? Fine. Bring everybody up into the box, press coverage on jackson with a safety lurking, and blitz the crap out of the dogkiller.

Honestly, I don't understand why it took Haslett so long to adjust. That guy's a clown.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's to figure out? They run a variation of a read option from a split formation every 12-15 seconds. Our D got bit by the same plays that we ate everyone up on last year. There was a couple times that Orakpo looked like Ware, frozen and not sure which way to go. This is why the read option is go successful. You neutralize these fast, aggressive DE/OLBs. Did you see some of the holes that McCoy had to run through? Reminded me of some of the holes for Morris last year.

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, basically their offense is 'let's do what the Redskins do but just do it a bit more faster' .... Nothing special or revolutionary about it.

Not that anyone did, but saying this offense won't last is like saying 20 years ago that computers don't have a place in the household. It's here to stay baby.

Their version of this offense (hurry up) may not last, but the read option in the NFL is here to stay.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think defenses will adjust, especially the division foes. For the Eagles to run roughshod over everyone (like they did in the 1st half)..they would need more superior athletes (than the other team) at almost every skill position IN the 2-deep.

I think they can be successful in the short term..but don't have enough to keep up at the pace they were in Monday night.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was their offense that won the game. Redskins made too many early mistakes that contributed to an insurmountable lead. 2 fumbles and an interception basically spotted them a win. Those things don't happen and IMO, the Redskins win on Monday.

It was very uncharacteristic of our offense.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree warpath. People don't realize that our offense blew this game. Our defense played well considering the circumstances. I think Rg3 had the worst first half in NFL history. He wasn't ready in my book and I think Shanyy knew it but played him anyways b/c of the pressure of all in for week 1. I think we win if Cousins starts. There is no way Cousins plays that bad in the first half. It amazes me that people on here don't think Cousins can win games for us. We also win the Seattle playoff game if Cousins was inserted in the 2nd half. Shanyy blew two wins for us.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree warpath. People don't realize that our offense blew this game. Our defense played well considering the circumstances. I think Rg3 had the worst first half in NFL history. He wasn't ready in my book and I think Shanyy knew it but played him anyways b/c of the pressure of all in for week 1. I think we win if Cousins starts. There is no way Cousins plays that bad in the first half. It amazes me that people on here don't think Cousins can win games for us. We also win the Seattle playoff game if Cousins was inserted in the 2nd half. Shanyy blew two wins for us.

You have a good point about the Seattle game however, RG3 was healthy Monday night and he was starting. He is the best QB on this team and that's why he started. Was he ready to play at full speed? That question was answered for all of us to see. Like you said, the hole our offense dug us into and the element of surprise that led to our defense looking putrid in the first half cost us the game. Learn from it and move on.

On another note, our offense is built for the zone read with various passes. We have the weapons and offensive line to do so. What we DON'T have is an offensive line that can protect a pocket passer. We must get back to the zone read and destroy teams. Game 1 was an anomaly and I think Kyle will get back to more of it now that Griffin has his feet wet. Let's hope for better things to come vs GB.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes RG3 is the best QB on this team at 100%. He was not even close to 100%. I'm not starting a controversy but a 100% Cousins is better than a 60% RG3. We can win with Cousins. It has been proven.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In NFL history? Exaggerate much?

Not sure how they fared in each half, but certainly a few Redskins from the not-too-distant past had much worse games (not to even mention players/QBs from other teams). How about Theismann's 5 picks against the Boys during MNF in the mid-80s? How about Tim Hassleback's "0" (yes "0") QB rating against the Boys in 2003? This included 6/26 passing with 4 INTs - horrible.

You might also consider looking up some stats for Tebow a few years back. You need to let this one go. You also need to stop thinking that QB is an interchangeable position where you can swap guys whenever without incurring all types of consequences.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a good point about the Seattle game however, RG3 was healthy Monday night and he was starting. He is the best QB on this team and that's why he started. Was he ready to play at full speed? That question was answered for all of us to see. Like you said, the hole our offense dug us into and the element of surprise that led to our defense looking putrid in the first half cost us the game. Learn from it and move on.

On another note, our offense is built for the zone read with various passes. We have the weapons and offensive line to do so. What we DON'T have is an offensive line that can protect a pocket passer. We must get back to the zone read and destroy teams. Game 1 was an anomaly and I think Kyle will get back to more of it now that Griffin has his feet wet. Let's hope for better things to come vs GB.

I feel exactly the same way. And have also made some of these points on other threads. There is every reason to be optimistic about the Skins and RG3 down the stretch.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you truly think it was a read option on warp speed, than you don't really understand football.

Vick ran a spread, with an option to pitch or throw to the tight end, or outside wr. He ran some plays in the pistol formation, but mostly operated out of the spread.

Not the same thing.

In any case, even if it was exactly the same thing as what the redskins ran last year, that makes it LESS excusable for the redskins to be as bitch-slapped in the first half as they were.

Yes, RG3 and Morris didn't help, but they also don't play defense, the tackling was atrocious, Haslett is incredibly slow to react, and neither RG3 nor Morris had anything to do with the eagles march down the field.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you truly think it was a read option on warp speed, than you don't really understand football.

Vick ran a spread, with an option to pitch or throw to the tight end, or outside wr. He ran some plays in the pistol formation, but mostly operated out of the spread.

Not the same thing.

In any case, even if it was exactly the same thing as what the redskins ran last year, that makes it LESS excusable for the redskins to be as bitch-slapped in the first half as they were.

Yes, RG3 and Morris didn't help, but they also don't play defense, the tackling was atrocious, Haslett is incredibly slow to react, and neither RG3 nor Morris had anything to do with the eagles march down the field.

If you want to be honest about it all three phases of the team were awful in the 1st half (& credit has to also go to the other team for a lot of that). Obviously RG3, Morris & the rest of the offense made uncharacteristic mistakes & were ineffective. The defense gave up lots of points & yardage & tackled very poorly. Lastly - the return game was atrocious.

To their credit both offense & defense improved a lot in the second half (special teams was still pretty bad). This was also not simply due to the Eagles "laying down" or playing prevent defense as some here have incorrectly stated. Time for the team - in all three phases - to step up & play a complete game on Sunday.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not the same thing.

Huh? your quote:

Vick ran a spread, with an option to pitch or throw to the tight end, or outside wr.

What was his option based on? His reading of a particular position on the defense. Hence, a "read option". It may not have been our version of a read option and it wasn't our pistol formation, but it was absolutely a read option scheme that was run with regularity in the first half.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHA.

I like how our version with get figured out but the Redskins Offense is here to stay. Hilarious. Vick didnt run one option play and they came out in all kinds of crazy formations. THe one play where they had 3 Olineman and Jason Peter and our RT rookie lined up on the left side to both play TE. The receivers were playing one behind the other and Bryce Brown plows up the middle for a 15 yard gain. Its nothing like what you guys run.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHA.

I like how our version with get figured out but the Redskins Offense is here to stay. Hilarious. Vick didnt run one option play and they came out in all kinds of crazy formations. THe one play where they had 3 Olineman and Jason Peter and our RT rookie lined up on the left side to both play TE. The receivers were playing one behind the other and Bryce Brown plows up the middle for a 15 yard gain. Its nothing like what you guys run.

Dude... it doesnt have to get figured out. You cant sustain it for an entire game. By the third quarter McCoy was on the side lines huffing like a two pack a day smoker. The only hope for it is to get a big lead early and hope you can hold on. Much like you did Monday. But had the Eagles needed to actually run that offense and attempt to score after the third quarter, I dont see it happening. You won the game, enjoy it. But that is still a 6-10 team in Philly.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHA.

Yes, exactly.

The version "you" run will be figured out, because Vick is a loser, you have exactly ONE speed wr and one shifty rb, and there wasn't anything new in "your offense" that any other defensive coordinator, now that there's film on it, can't stop.

The Sheagles are a six win team.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to be honest about it all three phases of the team were awful in the 1st half (& credit has to also go to the other team for a lot of that). Obviously RG3, Morris & the rest of the offense made uncharacteristic mistakes & were ineffective. The defense gave up lots of points & yardage & tackled very poorly. Lastly - the return game was atrocious.

To their credit both offense & defense improved a lot in the second half (special teams was still pretty bad). This was also not simply due to the Eagles "laying down" or playing prevent defense as some here have incorrectly stated. Time for the team - in all three phases - to step up & play a complete game on Sunday.

Agreed

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? your quote:

Vick ran a spread, with an option to pitch or throw to the tight end, or outside wr.

What was his option based on? His reading of a particular position on the defense. Hence, a "read option". It may not have been our version of a read option and it wasn't our pistol formation, but it was absolutely a read option scheme that was run with regularity in the first half.

I misspoke.

I meant to say that he didn't run a read option out of the pistol. He ran a version of the read option out of the spread.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3