• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will win the NFC West this year?

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets also not forget that the Seahawks have an extremely young roster so the guys they are returning are just now getting into their primes. There shouldn't be a single drop off from the vets

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that the conversation seems to be somewhat back on track... I'd love to throw my hat in the ring for the St. Louis Rams. This, of course is a pretty tough sell. Not only because the Rams finished 4th in the division last year and every off-season fans inevitably assume that the following season will obviously go exactly as the previous one did... even if every year the overwhelming parity of the league tells us otherwise. But, for the fact that even as a die-hard fan, I'm not 100% convinced myself. I mean... what the hell are the Rams going to be this year?

It's the magical "year 3" of the Fisher/Snead regime. The year everything is supposed to come together. And there's legitimate reason for optimism in St. Louis, to be sure. #1 reason being the defense. The Rams fielded a good (if not streaky) defensive squad last year on talent alone. But, they were a rudder-less ship, for the most part. As first year DC, Tim Walton seemed to be in over his head. Forget the addition of Aaron Donald in this year's draft, or guys like Alec Ogletree and TJ McDonald having a year's worth of NFL experience under their belt, or any of that. The biggest defensive upgrade for the Rams this year will be the new DC, Gregg Williams. Look for him to put his aggressive stamp on this squad. He's now got more individual talent to work with in than he's ever had in his career, geared to his style of D. It's not hard to imagine a top 5 defense emerging from St. Louis this year. Of course, it could take more than one camp to pick up on Williams' system and the D could be mediocre this year.

The big question mark is clearly the offense and most notably, QB Sam Bradford. Before his injury last year, Bradford was off to a career year. When he went down, the team rallied around Kellen Clemens... but it was pretty clear that rookie RB Zac Stacy was the engine that kept the Rams respectable. That new offensive philosophy adopted out of necessity (and Brian Schottenheimer apparently pulling his head out of his ass) will very likely be carried into 2014. Had Bradford finished the season upright, there's no doubt in my mind the Rams win 10 games last year.

Here's the million dollar question, though. What will we actually see out of the Rams this year? My answer... who the f*ck knows? I sure as hell don't. But, neither do you. ;) And that's the beauty of it. What I do know is, the talent is there. If everything comes together like "year 3", then this team will be an absolute nightmare for the division. Super Bowl Champs and all. If not, then we're clearly another year away (which is probably the prevailing notion outside of Missouri) the team will under-achieve and we'll be staring down the barrel of yet another .500 showing, at best. The future is EXTREMELY bright for the Rams, but "Is the future now?" is the question.

Personally... I've tempered my enthusiasm for 2014. I predicted 10 wins for the Rams last year (and as I stated before, I would have been right, if not for Bradford's injury), only to be let down yet again. So, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment this year. I'm still a die-hard, mind you... but I realize a lot of things have to go right for my Rams to make a run. So, this is a year of cautious optimism for me.

Sorry for the long post. But, I'm 21 pages late to the party and buried under 3 weeks worth of "Go Hawks" and "Who's Got it Better" responses. Lol.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the first to say it. Byron Maxwell is going to emerge as a pro bowl caliber cb this upcoming season.

Some of the few times where teams had some moderate success against our secondary was because of Browner.

Maxwell didn't start until a third of the way into the year and he played better than Browner ever did as the number 2 corner. His numbers with like 10 or so only starts: 4 picks 1 ff and 12 pd.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that the conversation seems to be somewhat back on track... I'd love to throw my hat in the ring for the St. Louis Rams. This, of course is a pretty tough sell. Not only because the Rams finished 4th in the division last year and every off-season fans inevitably assume that the following season will obviously go exactly as the previous one did... even if every year the overwhelming parity of the league tells us otherwise. But, for the fact that even as a die-hard fan, I'm not 100% convinced myself. I mean... what the hell are the Rams going to be this year?

It's the magical "year 3" of the Fisher/Snead regime. The year everything is supposed to come together. And there's legitimate reason for optimism in St. Louis, to be sure. #1 reason being the defense. The Rams fielded a good (if not streaky) defensive squad last year on talent alone. But, they were a rudder-less ship, for the most part. As first year DC, Tim Walton seemed to be in over his head. Forget the addition of Aaron Donald in this year's draft, or guys like Alec Ogletree and TJ McDonald having a year's worth of NFL experience under their belt, or any of that. The biggest defensive upgrade for the Rams this year will be the new DC, Gregg Williams. Look for him to put his aggressive stamp on this squad. He's now got more individual talent to work with in than he's ever had in his career, geared to his style of D. It's not hard to imagine a top 5 defense emerging from St. Louis this year. Of course, it could take more than one camp to pick up on Williams' system and the D could be mediocre this year.

The big question mark is clearly the offense and most notably, QB Sam Bradford. Before his injury last year, Bradford was off to a career year. When he went down, the team rallied around Kellen Clemens... but it was pretty clear that rookie RB Zac Stacy was the engine that kept the Rams respectable. That new offensive philosophy adopted out of necessity (and Brian Schottenheimer apparently pulling his head out of his ass) will very likely be carried into 2014. Had Bradford finished the season upright, there's no doubt in my mind the Rams win 10 games last year.

Here's the million dollar question, though. What will we actually see out of the Rams this year? My answer... who the f*ck knows? I sure as hell don't. But, neither do you. ;) And that's the beauty of it. What I do know is, the talent is there. If everything comes together like "year 3", then this team will be an absolute nightmare for the division. Super Bowl Champs and all. If not, then we're clearly another year away (which is probably the prevailing notion outside of Missouri) the team will under-achieve and we'll be staring down the barrel of yet another .500 showing, at best. The future is EXTREMELY bright for the Rams, but "Is the future now?" is the question.

Personally... I've tempered my enthusiasm for 2014. I predicted 10 wins for the Rams last year (and as I stated before, I would have been right, if not for Bradford's injury), only to be let down yet again. So, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment this year. I'm still a die-hard, mind you... but I realize a lot of things have to go right for my Rams to make a run. So, this is a year of cautious optimism for me.

Sorry for the long post. But, I'm 21 pages late to the party and buried under 3 weeks worth of "Go Hawks" and "Who's Got it Better" responses. Lol.

If Bradford puts it together this year, then the Rams seem to have the personnel on offense to be well-rounded and pretty solid (assuming that Britt plays near his potential).

On defense last year, their CBs seemed pretty inconsistent, and safeties seemed pretty sorry. Not sure what they've done to get better at the back end of their D.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the first to say it. Byron Maxwell is going to emerge as a pro bowl caliber cb this upcoming season.

Some of the few times where teams had some moderate success against our secondary was because of Browner.

Maxwell didn't start until a third of the way into the year and he played better than Browner ever did as the number 2 corner. His numbers with like 10 or so only starts: 4 picks 1 ff and 12 pd.

No way.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Greg Robinson and Tre Mason, they added Kenny Britt. When Bradford went down after 6 games, he was at 14 TD's and 4 picks. He has to stay healthy. That would be a good off season in my book. However, they added Aaron Donald and LaMarcus Joyner to their D as well. Donald, added to their already stout line, could make them a game changer, because they already had 40+ sacks up front without him. Their DL is going to make their solid LB's and average secondary both better. Even the addition of Michael Sam, which looks like so much pub, might work out well. Getting the SEC sack leader in the 7th round is a worthy gamble IMO.

As to the 9er's, Aldon Smith and Navarro are questions for sure. But they are still strong on D, and besides Gore, they have four other quality backs. They are going to cut someone who will make a 53 somewhere. They have a great OL, and added Stevie Johnson, and whether you think he's a Dick or not, they have one Helluva Coach

their best WR is kenny britt the man didnt even catch a TD last season he has yet to play a full 16 game season as well as bradford staying healthy too. the only backs they have is a rookie and zac stacy you will need more than this to win the NFC West besides those first 7 games they were 3-4 under bradford one win came by a field goal against the cardinals and the other 2 were against jacksonville and houston. 3 losses were complete beat downs by the panthers, cowboys, and 49ers.

the thing that people dont realize about harbough is that he can coach but he sure as heck cant draft especially players after the first round sense he took over in 2011 only 2 players under him actually made it to the pro bowl in aldon smith and eric reid. he has his players that were given to him when he took over as coach like vernon davis, frank gore, patrick willis, etc but they are starting to creep up in age and once they start hitting the decline and harbough still hasnt seen his draft picks come to life the window will shut on the 49ers. but they are a good team now i dont see how much of an impact stevie johnson will have as far as kaepernick not turning the ball over like he does

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
their best WR is kenny britt the man didnt even catch a TD last season he has yet to play a full 16 game season as well as bradford staying healthy too. the only backs they have is a rookie and zac stacy you will need more than this to win the NFC West besides those first 7 games they were 3-4 under bradford one win came by a field goal against the cardinals and the other 2 were against jacksonville and houston. 3 losses were complete beat downs by the panthers, cowboys, and 49ers.

the thing that people dont realize about harbough is that he can coach but he sure as heck cant draft especially players after the first round sense he took over in 2011 only 2 players under him actually made it to the pro bowl in aldon smith and eric reid. he has his players that were given to him when he took over as coach like vernon davis, frank gore, patrick willis, etc but they are starting to creep up in age and once they start hitting the decline and harbough still hasnt seen his draft picks come to life the window will shut on the 49ers. but they are a good team now i dont see how much of an impact stevie johnson will have as far as kaepernick not turning the ball over like he does

You guys won the Super Bowl last year, so you are right to think your team is the best again, but I think you're looking at those teams with a slant. The Rams may well be a year away. but if Bradford stays healthy, their weapons on offense look more formidable than you give them credit for, and you'd better strap up for their D. As to the 9er's not being able to draft, we'll have to disagree on that. I thought they killed it this year. Jimmie Ward is gonna be a stud IMO, Borland as well. They got good value in Martin and Ellington, and will Redshirt Brandon Thomas like they did Lattimore last year, and have an outstanding OL addition next season. And they drafted Carlos Hyde. A backfield with Gore, Lattimore, Hyde, James and Hunter? I'm telling you, they will cut a good RB. They have a great OL and like him or not, Kaepernick is a talented dude. All three teams could win more than 10 IMO

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that Harbaugh actually inherited a good team. Up to this point he really hasn't had to rely a ton on the draft picks to do much. Because of this most have been role players or back ups. Heck they have been able to redshirt players almost every year. So at this point we really have no clue what his draft picks can do because they really haven't been given too much of a chance. They do have though what is considered one of the deepest rosters in the NFL so that speaks to drafting pretty well.

Also people have to remember with the Rams last year on defense they had a pretty bad Defensive Coordinator. Most teams in the NFL talent wise are very close. It is why teams can turn it around so quickly. Get a couple of talented players and the whole thing can turn around. The best thing a team can do though is get a great Coordinator to coach up a unit. In the Rams secondary last year I don't think talent was the issue. What was the issue was a very confusing scheme that had the players lost about half the time. I'm very interested to see what Gregg Williams can do with this defense.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bradford puts it together this year, then the Rams seem to have the personnel on offense to be well-rounded and pretty solid (assuming that Britt plays near his potential).

On defense last year, their CBs seemed pretty inconsistent, and safeties seemed pretty sorry. Not sure what they've done to get better at the back end of their D.

Strong safety TJ McDonald missed most of the season due to injury, but when he played, he played well. The only thing that concerns me about the secondary is the strong safety position, where there's a good chance we'll be starting another rookie.

Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, however, are both good, instinctive CBs. The vast majority of their struggles came from scheme and simply being placed at a disadvantage from the jump. I'd say, conservatively, they started 75% of their snaps lining up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage, regardless of the situation. Tim Walton was an awful coordinator who didn't seem to have a clue. Gregg Williams' proven style of defense caters to the Rams' CBs strengths of physical, press coverage. There should be a marked improvement in the play of the secondary from scheme alone.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that Harbaugh actually inherited a good team. Up to this point he really hasn't had to rely a ton on the draft picks to do much. Because of this most have been role players or back ups. Heck they have been able to redshirt players almost every year. So at this point we really have no clue what his draft picks can do because they really haven't been given too much of a chance. They do have though what is considered one of the deepest rosters in the NFL so that speaks to drafting pretty well.

Also people have to remember with the Rams last year on defense they had a pretty bad Defensive Coordinator. Most teams in the NFL talent wise are very close. It is why teams can turn it around so quickly. Get a couple of talented players and the whole thing can turn around. The best thing a team can do though is get a great Coordinator to coach up a unit. In the Rams secondary last year I don't think talent was the issue. What was the issue was a very confusing scheme that had the players lost about half the time. I'm very interested to see what Gregg Williams can do with this defense.

:agree:

Lol. We must have been typing at the same time.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a great point on Williams. Fisher wanted him as DC a couple of years ago, but we know what happened there. Either way, the guy is a quality DC. Adding Donald may kick their DL alone near 50 sacks, and adding Joyner to the secondary will help. I think they will start out strong, but by midseason, when they have Williams scheme down, they will be double tough

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Lol. We must have been typing at the same time.

Haha must have been. I really like the Williams' hire and it might actually prove to be the biggest and best move of the off season for the Rams. With his aggressive style he really fits all of these playmakers perfectly. That front seven especially are going to be nasty. So much speed it will have most offenses' heads spinning.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha must have been. I really like the Williams' hire and it might actually prove to be the biggest and best move of the off season for the Rams. With his aggressive style he really fits all of these playmakers perfectly. That front seven especially are going to be nasty. So much speed it will have most offenses' heads spinning.

I think Donald is special and will set them off. They already have edge pressure, and Brockers is a straight ahead handful. But in obvious pass situations, it's going to take a double on Donald, or this kid is getting the instant middle pressure QB's hate. You can't double everyone. I think the thing that is going to help the Rams secondary more than anything is that teams are going to have to keep a TE and sometimes a back in to get the Rams front four blocked, and they will only have to defend 3 man routes. Not to mention when they do blitz, they should have a lot of success

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Donald is special and will set them off. They already have edge pressure, and Brockers is a straight ahead handful. But in obvious pass situations, it's going to take a double on Donald, or this kid is getting the instant middle pressure QB's hate. You can't double everyone. I think the thing that is going to help the Rams secondary more than anything is that teams are going to have to keep a TE and sometimes a back in to get the Rams front four blocked, and they will only have to defend 3 man routes. Not to mention when they do blitz, they should have a lot of success

The Rams definitely will have a ridiculous DL this year (barring injuries). Donald was my guy in this draft that could step in and make an immediate impact. He was the only guy that I would have been ok with the Broncos giving up their whole draft for. I just think he will be that much of an impact player. So yes with the Rams it will be a pick your poison kind of situation. Plus they really won't need to blitz. All 4 guys on the DL can get pressure so they can leave 7 back in coverage probably 90% of the time. You are right teams are probably going to have to bring at least one of either a RB or a TE to help out or at least provide a chip. Honestly the Rams defense is the least of my worries of how they are going to do this season.

The offense is what will make or break this season for them. Bradford when healthy has had a few moments where he looked like a very good quarterback. Problem is can he stay healthy and can he stay consistent. He should have some ridiculous weapons around him this year though. They have a nice mix of major speed with some massive receivers as well. Throw in the TE Cook is looking like a possible steal in FF this year. RB is a bit top heavy with Stacy showing last year he can be a quality RB in this league and a possible bruiser in Tre Mason behind him. Beyond that though I would be worried if either of those guys go down.

All in all the Rams look to have a roster with a lot of potential. Potential is a dangerous word in the NFL though. I have said I think the Rams make the playoffs this year (maybe I am a year too early). I like the playmakers they have and I am banking on Bradford actually playing a full season with a lot better OL in front of him plus I think they will run the heck out of the football. Picking the Rams means a lot of "What if" situations must work out in their favor so we shall see. Again I do like them but it also wouldn't surprise me to see them finish with once again that 7-9 record.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny thing is... if you told a Seahawk fan that Brandon Browner was a liability in the secondary while he was on the active roster, you'd have been branded an "idiot" and shouted out of the room. Lol.

But, as far as a Pro Bowl for Maxwell goes? Sure... I could definitely see that happening. He's obviously talented, but the help he'll have in getting there is frequently discounted, as is the case with Richard Sherman too. What a lot of people don't realize (Hell... even some 'Hawks fans) is that Earl Thomas is what makes that secondary do-what-it-do. Thomas is the best player on that defense and without question, the best safety in the league. IMO, he doesn't get nearly the league wide credit he deserves.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is... if you told a Seahawk fan that Brandon Browner was a liability in the secondary while he was on the active roster, you'd have been branded an "idiot" and shouted out of the room. Lol.

But, as far as a Pro Bowl for Maxwell goes? Sure... I could definitely see that happening. He's obviously talented, but the help he'll have in getting there is frequently discounted, as is the case with Richard Sherman too. What a lot of people don't realize (Hell... even some 'Hawks fans) is that Earl Thomas is what makes that secondary do-what-it-do. Thomas is the best player on that defense and without question, the best safety in the league. IMO, he doesn't get nearly the league wide credit he deserves.
Um, no. There was plenty of discussion about Browner and his lapses on the field. He is a big guy and was a solid piece when he stacked up against a bigger WR, but he was borderline terrible against smaller/faster WR's.

This was discussed at length and really wasn't debated.

Nice of you to toss out generalities that are purely fictitious. :rollseyes:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bottom line to me is that you had better be able to ground and pound when you play Seattle. Run it 50% of the time and use play action, and you'd better be able to stop the run on D. That's the reason I think SF and St Louis have a shot. If you are are a finesse passing game, you're not getting much done against a secondary with the best corner and the best safety in the game. Ask Denver

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line to me is that you had better be able to ground and pound when you play Seattle. Run it 50% of the time and use play action, and you'd better be able to stop the run on D. That's the reason I think SF and St Louis have a shot. If you are are a finesse passing game, you're not getting much done against a secondary with the best corner and the best safety in the game. Ask Denver

It is a big reason the Broncos made the moves they did this off season. They realized that to compete with those physical teams they themselves had to get a lot more physical in nature. We shall see if they did enough to match it.

I do agree that Thomas is what makes that secondary go. Sherman is great at locking up one side but shut down corners in the past have shown they alone can't make a great defense. Aso a few years back when he was regarded as the best corner in the NFL still had a terrible defense because all teams had to do was game plan everything to the other side of the field. Same with Champ Bailey in his prime. Thomas is the reason that other side is still so dang difficult to throw to. His range is just ridiculous on the field. More than that though his intelligence is off the charts. I'm willing to already say he will someday be in the HOF. Rarely do I say that about a player so early in their career.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no. There was plenty of discussion about Browner and his lapses on the field. He is a big guy and was a solid piece when he stacked up against a bigger WR, but he was borderline terrible against smaller/faster WR's.

This was discussed at length and really wasn't debated.

Nice of you to toss out generalities that are purely fictitious. :rollseyes:

I'm just going on what's happened to me in the past. But, you're right... it's a generalization (similar to calling it "purely fictitious") said tongue-in-cheek, hence the "Lol". I never said that every Seahawks fan feels/reacts this way.

Sheesh! Relax, man... don't take things so personal. :cool2: