• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the biggest loss for the 49ers this offseason?

Biggest loss for the 49ers this offseason

• WR Michael Crabtree to free agency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G Mike Iupati to free agency

• CB Chris Culliver to free agency

• CB Perrish Cox to free agency

• OC Greg Roman to Buffalo Bills

• DC Vic Fangio to Chicago Bears

• Total voters

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voted Anthony Davis. Gore, Willis and Justin Smith were more central but in terms of moving forward, losing an elite tackle is a big deal and can set you back years.

Anthony Davis was pretty good but not elite. Justin Smith and Gore are aging players in decline. Not sure what we would have gotten from them. Willis not as old but hasn't been the same the past couple of years. Slowed by chronic toe issue. Miss those players from leadership. Aldon missed the most assuming he was able to get back to form. He was in his prime and an elite pass rusher

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Davis was pretty good but not elite. Justin Smith and Gore are aging players in decline. Not sure what we would have gotten from them. Willis not as old but hasn't been the same the past couple of years. Slowed by chronic toe issue. Miss those players from leadership. Aldon missed the most assuming he was able to get back to form. He was in his prime and an elite pass rusher
AD was a top RT in the league and we have no replacement for him. he is #1. A. Smith I would agree if we didn't have Depth and if he had a good season the last 2 years but he hasn't. To be honest We have no idea what A. Smith was. He had 2 good years 3-4 years ago. Now On D I would say he is #1 missed but I have to stick with AD. The drop from AD and Pears is BIG. Pro bowl type RT to one of the worst RT in the league. A. Smith to Lynch/Harold Combo is big but Lynch showed he can put up sacks in limit time and Harold looks like a beast so far.

Again don't get me wrong Smith is a big loss and I have #1 on D. I agree with who said Gore and J. Smith being aging vets so they weren't in future plans any ways.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD was a top RT in the league and we have no replacement for him. he is #1. A. Smith I would agree if we didn't have Depth and if he had a good season the last 2 years but he hasn't. To be honest We have no idea what A. Smith was. He had 2 good years 3-4 years ago. Now On D I would say he is #1 missed but I have to stick with AD. The drop from AD and Pears is BIG. Pro bowl type RT to one of the worst RT in the league. A. Smith to Lynch/Harold Combo is big but Lynch showed he can put up sacks in limit time and Harold looks like a beast so far.

Again don't get me wrong Smith is a big loss and I have #1 on D. I agree with who said Gore and J. Smith being aging vets so they weren't in future plans any ways.

I qualified my statement before by saying it depended on what Aldon Smith we were losing. The one from the last couple of seasons or the presuspension Aldon that recorded 17 sacks in a season. Your right last year he looked real ordinary. He seemed to have trouble even beating lineman one on one. Supposedly he was in the best shape of his career last year, it could be the lack of playing time that hurt him. Yes, your right that there wasn't a good replacement on the team for Davis which hurts this year. At the same time, good right tackles are alot easier to find than outside linebackers that are great pass rushers. As a long time 49er fan, I remember how many first round draft picks the team wasted trying to replace Charles Haley. From the early 1990's till Aldon was drafted I have seen so many of these players drafted, Todd Kelly, Israel Ifyani, Manny Lawson, Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, etc. Some were good players, some were downright busts, but none of them were nearly the pass rusher that Aldon Smith or Charles Haley was

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I qualified my statement before by saying it depended on what Aldon Smith we were losing. The one from the last couple of seasons or the presuspension Aldon that recorded 17 sacks in a season. Your right last year he looked real ordinary. He seemed to have trouble even beating lineman one on one. Supposedly he was in the best shape of his career last year, it could be the lack of playing time that hurt him. Yes, your right that there wasn't a good replacement on the team for Davis which hurts this year. At the same time, good right tackles are alot easier to find than outside linebackers that are great pass rushers. As a long time 49er fan, I remember how many first round draft picks the team wasted trying to replace Charles Haley. From the early 1990's till Aldon was drafted I have seen so many of these players drafted, Todd Kelly, Israel Ifyani, Manny Lawson, Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, etc. Some were good players, some were downright busts, but none of them were nearly the pass rusher that Aldon Smith or Charles Haley was
Also throw in no more J. Smith to help him out and we saw last year with out him he had 0 sacks.

What is scary if you watch Haley video and then A. Smith Video they like the same. Smith had a high ceiling and he might of just screwed up way too many times. Its a shame to see what has happen to him.

I hear what you are saying but the 2 positions but how I look at it is the drop off and like I said AD to pears is wat to Big compared to Lynch and Harold. Who knows Lynch or Harold can be that kind of pass rusher for us. Lynch did have the most sacks last year on the team at a very limited role.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also throw in no more J. Smith to help him out and we saw last year with out him he had 0 sacks.

What is scary if you watch Haley video and then A. Smith Video they like the same. Smith had a high ceiling and he might of just screwed up way too many times. Its a shame to see what has happen to him.

I hear what you are saying but the 2 positions but how I look at it is the drop off and like I said AD to pears is wat to Big compared to Lynch and Harold. Who knows Lynch or Harold can be that kind of pass rusher for us. Lynch did have the most sacks last year on the team at a very limited role.

I was thinking beyond just next year. tackles are easier to replace. Lynch was pretty darn good last year as a rookie and I hope continues to improve because he could be a real force on the end. Harold is a wait and see. In Matt Barrows piece he talks about Lemonier gettiing cut this year had Aldon not been suspended. Not sure where he got that from but I wouldn't be shocked.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking beyond just next year. tackles are easier to replace. Lynch was pretty darn good last year as a rookie and I hope continues to improve because he could be a real force on the end. Harold is a wait and see. In Matt Barrows piece he talks about Lemonier gettiing cut this year had Aldon not been suspended. Not sure where he got that from but I wouldn't be shocked.
Yes I do agree with you that its harder to find a Top Flight Pass rusher over a Top RT. In this case I still have to go with AD for this season and the Future just because I think we might have a replacement in Lynch or Harold. Im banking on them. Now If AD comes back next year and didn't miss a beat and Lynch and Harold flop then 100% u are right.

Its a tough pick. For me right now its RTand losing AD. Our line is the engine and if the car cant run it isn't going any where.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh. No contest. If we don't lose Harbaugh, we still have a competent coaching staff, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the players who "retired" would still be on the roster.

Twenty years from now, this is going to be revered as one of the dumbest ownership decisions in professional sports' history. This will be worse than when Jerry fired Jimmy.

I will also say this, the Big 10 just got a hell of a lot more exciting to pay attention to.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh. No contest. If we don't lose Harbaugh, we still have a competent coaching staff, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the players who "retired" would still be on the roster.

Twenty years from now, this is going to be revered as one of the dumbest ownership decisions in professional sports' history. This will be worse than when Jerry fired Jimmy.

I will also say this, the Big 10 just got a hell of a lot more exciting to pay attention to.
Fangio was a bigger loss than Harbaugh. Defense carried team. Last year team could easily have won 10 games if the offense didn't fold in the 2nd half. Harbaugh is supposed to be the offensive guru, but it was the defense that was ranked 5th despite being decimated by injuries

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

your opinion on Harbaugh as the biggest lost is fine, but i disagree with "I'd be willing to bet that most of the players who "retired" would still be on the roster."

P. Willis, J. Smith, and A. Davis all retired because of injuries. All three knew they wouldn't perform to their standards this season, with or without Harbaugh. Borland retired because of fear of injury, and he'd still face that injury risk even if Harbaugh remained.

I also disagree that you're portraying this as all one sided, that Harbaugh didn't do anything and Ownership fired him 'out of the blue'. Obviously, Harbaugh did something off the field, so the Owner finally did something. This went on for months so we don't need to repeat it now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio was a bigger loss than Harbaugh. Defense carried team. Last year team could easily have won 10 games if the offense didn't fold in the 2nd half. Harbaugh is supposed to be the offensive guru, but it was the defense that was ranked 5th despite being decimated by injuries
U know what Fangio was great but to be honest he was holding the D back to being great/Special. He hated to blitz. We were the least in the league at 20%. Avg in the league was like 38% of the time teams blitz. I like Fangio and he did 1 hell of a job but sometimes I think he was holding us back.

Losing Harbugh(great coach) hurts but like most players said he was losing some of them. Time was up for him. Even with him this year wouldn't help much. If anything it might of hurt more.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion on Harbaugh as the biggest lost is fine, but i disagree with "I'd be willing to bet that most of the players who "retired" would still be on the roster."

P. Willis, J. Smith, and A. Davis all retired because of injuries. All three knew they wouldn't perform to their standards this season, with or without Harbaugh. Borland retired because of fear of injury, and he'd still face that injury risk even if Harbaugh remained.

I also disagree that you're portraying this as all one sided, that Harbaugh didn't do anything and Ownership fired him 'out of the blue'. Obviously, Harbaugh did something off the field, so the Owner finally did something. This went on for months so we don't need to repeat it now.
I agree because to be honest those players probably liked Tomsula more anyways.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest loss is for you fans, geez holy crap.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest loss is for you fans, geez holy crap.

In the grand scheme of life, it really isn't a big deal to me. It is only football. For some of us, we got to celebrate three world series titles in the last five years and a basketball title this year. The first since 1975-1976. So, I certainly can't complain. If things go south for the long term, then it is a much bigger deal for season ticket holders. We did lose three young players, of which one has just come out and stated he is coming back next year, Anthony Davis. The 49ers were an aging team last year up against the cap. In a way, this offseason only forced what was going to be an inevitable turnover in players over the next couple of seasons to a younger team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the grand scheme of life, it really isn't a big deal to me. It is only football. For some of us, we got to celebrate three world series titles in the last five years and a basketball title this year. The first since 1975-1976. So, I certainly can't complain. If things go south for the long term, then it is a much bigger deal for season ticket holders. We did lose three young players, of which one has just come out and stated he is coming back next year, Anthony Davis. The 49ers were an aging team last year up against the cap. In a way, this offseason only forced what was going to be an inevitable turnover in players over the next couple of seasons to a younger team.
I agree future looks bright:
1-We are young
2- we have most of our top players signed long term
3-We draft well
4- We have a whole lot of money next year to spend(30-40 mill next year)
5- Players love Tomsula and will play for him. He is a players coach.
6- We still have a lot of talent on this team young and vets mixed in.

The big ? is Kap. We will go as far as he can take us. If he becomes a top 10 QB again we are good if he stays in that 15-20 or worse we are in trouble.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U know what Fangio was great but to be honest he was holding the D back to being great/Special. He hated to blitz. We were the least in the league at 20%. Avg in the league was like 38% of the time teams blitz. I like Fangio and he did 1 hell of a job but sometimes I think he was holding us back.

Losing Harbugh(great coach) hurts but like most players said he was losing some of them. Time was up for him. Even with him this year wouldn't help much. If anything it might of hurt more.
I don't agree about Fangio. Our D was ranked 5th last year despite being decimated by injuries. Our D has been consistently good throughout the Harbaugh era. While I would like to have seen Fangio blitz a bit more, really good defenses that can generate a good rush tend not blitz alot. It allows the D to put more players back in coverage. Seattle hardly blitzes. The Ravens at their peak hardly blitzes. I welcome Mangini's style of D but it is not without risk

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree about Fangio. Our D was ranked 5th last year despite being decimated by injuries. Our D has been consistently good throughout the Harbaugh era. While I would like to have seen Fangio blitz a bit more, really good defenses that can generate a good rush tend not blitz alot. It allows the D to put more players back in coverage. Seattle hardly blitzes. The Ravens at their peak hardly blitzes. I welcome Mangini's style of D but it is not without risk
again I agree he was a great coach but we could of been Seattle Special with our D but he just didn't know how to Blitz. Yes there is risk with blitzing but man it was frustrated when QBs were picking us apart and he still wouldn't blitz and they said his blitz packages were simple as hell. That was his weakness.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a good head coach is so important in the NFL. That's why I voted for Harbaugh as the biggest loss. You really need someone with a strong and dynamic personality in order to lead such a large group of people, especially when many of them are young and stupid. I sincerely hope that Tomsula is a success, but until he proves it, I'll think of Harbaugh as the biggest loss.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for the retirees, we'll never know. We're both speculating. I don't think all those guys, injuries or not, retire if there is a competent coaching staff in place. You could be right. I could be right. No biggie there.

I don't care if this was all one-sided in the direction of Harbaugh. In this business, owners don't fire proven winners. Let me rephrase that. Owners who care about winning don't fire proven winners. Idiots like Jerry Jones, Al Davis, and the buffoon in charge here fire proven winners. The owner did do something in this case. He did the wrong thing, and this fanbase is going to rue that decision for the next decade. Jim Harbaugh's job was to coach this team at a high level, not kiss his GM's ass. The owner and GM have to figure out how to get along with somebody who wins but rubs them the wrong way. Otherwise they become the Bill Bidwells and James Dolans of the world. Nobody wants to coach for them, and nobody wants to play for them.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree because to be honest those players probably liked Tomsula more anyways.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. If I'm on the precipice of the endgame, and my owner replaces my boss with a stooge, I'm not in the same frame of mind as I was under the coach who got me there in the first place.

We'll see how these players like Tomsula by Week 7. My guess is you're going to hear a lot of lockerroom grumbling.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. Good defenses get after the QB with the front 4 (or whatever our weird alignment is). Teams that blitz get torched by playoff QB's. Having a good D that blitzes least in the league isn't a sign of holding us back. It's a sign that guys in charge knew what the hell they were doing.