• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who QBs the Steelers next season?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a career! Respect.

Damn didnt know this.
They are Closing in Landry's all time streak without a losing season.
& to think they played a Season with Rudolph as their QB & still didnt have a losing season.
Really dont understand all the hate Tomlin gets from some steeler fans.

IS this a record for Starting QBs without a losing streak. Well I guess I dont know how that record would work? Does the streak end with his injury or just pause until he comes back the next season?

Edit: Just looked up Bens record. he went 12 season without a losing record. (07-18) Still could be a record :noidea:

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haskins has three months to grow up, and I don't think the Steelers are holding their breath in the meantime.

My guess is the Steelers draft a QB, and Haskins will have a chance to show leadership and win the job, otherwise Rudolph will play until they think the new kid is ready.

Going all in on a good-for-a-few-years QB like Wilson or Rodgers doesn't seem like their style.

Laugh if you like, but Fitzpatrick is not that bad an idea if you have no QB and want to be competitive the first half of the season while your rookie learns. He knows the drill.

Will Fitzpatrick even play in 2022 after missing all of this current season? I agree it would be a good move. He is not a bad option but who knows if he will play next season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn didnt know this.
They are Closing in Landry's all time streak without a losing season.
& to think they played a Season with Rudolph as their QB & still didnt have a losing season.
Really dont understand all the hate Tomlin gets from some steeler fans.

IS this a record for Starting QBs without a losing streak. Well I guess I dont know how that record would work? Does the streak end with his injury or just pause until he comes back the next season?

Edit: Just looked up Bens record. he went 12 season without a losing record. (07-18) Still could be a record :noidea:

Yeah I've read the criticism of Tomlin from Steelers fans too and it's crazy. They're just so freaking spoiled one little blip in the road and they overreact

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Lock
Stop It Full House GIF

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that needs to be brought up in this thread:

Is there a single QB listed here that probably wouldnt have done a better job than Big Ben did this year? And how much better will the Steeler offense be next year now that they are moving on?

Steelers offense was just pathetic this season and there was a lot of blame to go around (especially the OL). But having a stationary target in the backfield that felt like he needed to throw nothing but 5 yard pass plays was the biggest reason this offense sucked so much.

Big Ben is an all-time great. But he should have hang it up a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that needs to be brought up in this thread:

Is there a single QB listed here that wouldnt have done a better job than Big Ben did this year? And how much better will the Steeler offense be next year now that they are moving on?

Steelers offense was just pathetic this season and there was a lot of blame to go around (especially the OL). But having a stationary target in the backfield that felt like he needed to throw nothing but 5 yard pass plays was the biggest reason this offense sucked so much.

Big Ben is an all-time great. But he should have hang it up a couple of years ago.
Think i definitively disagree with you. The top two factors for the offense were the playcalling, and the o-line. In that order. @FaCe-LeE-uS And @thedddd @Maximus Rex and others can chime in though

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think i definitively disagree with you. The top two factors for the offense were the playcalling, and the o-line. In that order. @FaCe-LeE-uS And @thedddd @Maximus Rex and others can chime in though
Yeah I agree the issues really had less to do with Ben than it did the other factors.
If mobility was an issue, then Mason should have easily won the game against the Lions.

And if you think Ben's ability to not throw the ball down the field was an issue look at the play calling/numbers from that Lions game. Rudolph threw the ball 50 times for only 245 yards. Most passes were short yardage because they had to. The line is just garbage and didn't give a QB time to make a better play.

And if you look at the games when Ben went no huddle and improvised they were successful.

Pretty sad that I am defending Rudolph above. :L But the biggest failure of this team was not addressing their major weakness, the offensive line.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree the issues really had less to do with Ben than it did the other factors.
If mobility was an issue, then Mason should have easily won the game against the Lions.

And if you think Ben's ability to not throw the ball down the field was an issue look at the play calling/numbers from that Lions game. Rudolph threw the ball 50 times for only 245 yards. Most passes were short yardage because they had to. The line is just garbage and didn't give a QB time to make a better play.

And if you look at the games when Ben went no huddle and improvised they were successful.

Pretty sad that I am defending Rudolph above. :L But the biggest failure of this team was not addressing their major weakness, the offensive line.
Yep. Agree. I dont think any of us are saying ben was good or that he wasnt part Of The problem. But he was far from The major problem.

Youve always been a mason supporter, no surprises there….

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Compounding problems really. And yea OL & playcalling are the worst of the problems. But QB still played a part, as did the receivers. When the OL did its job (albeit poorly but still giving them a few extra seconds) then Ben was heaving the ball up to his receivers hoping they would make a play. Not entirely his fault when he only had 1 receiver that could create separation within the 12yd-window , which was all they could afford given the OL broke down after that

There's arguments to be made to any of the problems, which means there is plenty to speculate about whether Canada deserves another chance.

I still think Canada sucks. His playcalling was hot garbage, and none worse than in short yardage situations on 3rd & 4th downs. A good OC should be able to put his players in a position to win consistently, regardless of the issues plaguing them. Canada failed to do that far too many times with plenty of evidence to support firing him. I honestly think Tomlin is far too enamored with the mobile-QB concept at this point, which is exactly why he loves Canada's collegiate offense so much to give him another chance. Just listen to the recent presser with Tomlin... He talks a lot about how much he covets QB mobility and that ability in the modern NFL, around the same time talking about Canada. He's setting the stage for his new mobile-QB offense next year, guaranteed.

What I fear most, now that KC is gone, is that Tomlin is going to knee-jerk a QB pick in the draft on someone mobile only to get handcuffed to a QB that has poor processing skill & arm talent. I don't know enough about this year's class but everything I've seen indicates a weak class. Given how this team has knee-jerked for need in the 1st Rd in the last decade I have a feeling we are in for some dark days. They'll knee-jerk draft a raw QB prospect and give them every benefit of the doubt for the ENTIRETY of their rookie contract. We've seen how this staff favors its mid Rd QBs... Imagine how they'll cater to a 1st Rder... God I hope that pick pans out early or we will have to suffer through 5 years of "is he or isn't he" type of QB play with mickey mouse coordinators, while we fans play the blame game every offseason. Finna be fun!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers are kinda in that Marvin Lews/Andy Dalton zone right now if they stick with Mason Rudolph imo. Hard to break out of that mold but Im not sure thats the right strategy. Most preseason rankings will probably have the Steelers in 4th place in the AFC N in terms of expectations next year. 10-7 would probably be overachieving with Rudolph.

I wonder what Jordan Love's trade value is right now. Coming out of college I remember thinking he had a good deep ball as his major plus ability and Steelers have YOLO deep ball potential with their WRs. They could kick the tires on Tua, too. Outside of those two, Rudolph seems like the guy. Jimmy G, Lock, D Jones, Fitzpatrick...turnover machines for the most part. Not what you want on a defensive team.

Its impossible to imagine Tomlin ever getting a top pick. So...I have no clue. All I know is that they should draft oline

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they revamp the position.
I dont think they go 1st round QB or anything, since all I am hearing is this isnt the year for 1st rd. QBs. but 4th or later they will draft one. Hopefully to land the back up roll.
Then they will bring in a vet to be the starter for the next couple years, until they find their next Franchise QB.
I could possibly see all the QBs on roster today being gone next year. Unless they out play the new guys brought in to play back up in training camp.
Bottomline the next Starter for Pittsburgh isnt on the roster right now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota or Trubisky to challenge Rudolph would make sense. Almost any offensive mind is probably better than Nagy so Trubisky seems like he should be in play for more than just Josh Allen's backup...who has one of the safest jobs in the league.

A little harder to come up with reasons for Mariota other than the fact that he brings a lot to the table with mobility. I feel like his injury history keeps him from being a long-term solution for anyone.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its impossible to imagine Tomlin ever getting a top pick. So...I have no clue. All I know is that they should draft oline
This. If they are going to be real about acquiring a legit rookie then they will need to cough up some capital to move up. Or bridge the year and maybe pick top 10 next year. Now that Colbert is gone it could be a possibility that they get a little more reckless with their draft capital. On the heels of losing an 18-year, HOF, linchpin... I think they are going to make damn sure they justify picking QB in Rd 1 this year. But that's just a hunch.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 3 years in a row the Steelers have been bottom 4 in the league or worse in yards per pass attempt. Honestly if you can boil down your passing game to one stat, this is probably the most important one. What are you doing on average when you are passing. And the Steelers have been just flat out awful. Consistently lumped into groups that have included teams with rookie QB's or were playing backups all season long (although one of these seasons Ben did not play so they were there for a reason).

Like I was trying to say, a lot of blame to go around. But I still think once Ben lost Haley someone got in his ear about getting the ball out quickly. Sure a quality idea. But he took it TOO far to the point that he was leaving too many plays on the field with the later breaking routes.