• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who QBs the Steelers next season?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haskins has three months to grow up, and I don't think the Steelers are holding their breath in the meantime.

My guess is the Steelers draft a QB, and Haskins will have a chance to show leadership and win the job, otherwise Rudolph will play until they think the new kid is ready.

Going all in on a good-for-a-few-years QB like Wilson or Rodgers doesn't seem like their style.

Laugh if you like, but Fitzpatrick is not that bad an idea if you have no QB and want to be competitive the first half of the season while your rookie learns. He knows the drill.

When you competition is Mason Rudolf and an unproven rookie Haskins could not have a better situation. But I don't see him every changing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you competition is Mason Rudolf and an unproven rookie Haskins could have have a better situation. But I don't see him every changing.
The game against Detroit when Ben got COVID a bunch of reports surfaced that indicated the staff had soured over Haskins. He was supposed to be QB2 that week but he apparently was texting & farting around during warmups and the coaches got pissed off. But fast forward a couple months to the present and now there are reports that Haskins "caught the eye" of the staff and they want to resign him.

I don't know what to believe lol. There were tons of reports that he was clearly the better player in training camp last offseason, but he still didn't win QB2. I put that on Tomlin though as he has a bad tendency to give "his guys" (drafted) a leg up in any competition. They have been trying really hard to make Mason Rudolph something since drafting him. Ben outright called them out for drafting him that year by sayin "I dont know how that helps us win now", and ever since they have been trying to justify it. I fully expect Mason to start training camp as QB1 next year, as sad as that sounds. But its fair to point out that Haskins did have plenty of opportunities last preseason to show up but he failed to stand out. Also worth pointing out that the OL was dogshit this year, and he was playing behind the 3rd/4th stringers that didn't even make the team. Hard to fault him for not standing out given what he had to work with.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, the report came from biased shock-jock "analyst" Aditi Kinkhabwala. Full of shit 99.9% of the time.
Gotcha but we saw so many complaints in the same vein. Likely some truth in that smoke...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh only because of lack of maturity and growth in DC. No clue how he's done with Tomlin and a functional team. How has he done? He definitely has the arm talent
As @FaCe-LeE-uS mentioned. One week he pissed off the coaching for being lazy to another week of "catching the eye" of Tomlin. I truly think he will be back but will be the QB2 at best.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As @FaCe-LeE-uS mentioned. One week he pissed off the coaching for being lazy to another week of "catching the eye" of Tomlin. I truly think he will be back but will be the QB2 at best.
If he has no realistic shot at QB2 then get rid of him. Because if they sign a vet to bridge & compete with Mason, then they would be better off keeping Dobbs around. Someone that actually wants to contribute to the team winning.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has no realistic shot at QB2 then get rid of him. Because if they sign a vet to bridge & compete with Mason, then they would be better off keeping Dobbs around. Someone that actually wants to contribute to the team winning.
Totally and when I state QB2 at best. I truly don't see him beating out a bridge QB or Mason Rudolph. The love affair the Steeler coaching has with Rudolph is mind blowing and not sure any "marginally poor" QB's will beat Mason out due to this reason.

As for Dobb's he is the QB3, they like his "mind". :D :rolleyes2:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
football mentality was the real issue when it boiled down to it. early signs of the 'Simba Brand', 'the league done made a mistake' with the Giants not drafting him top 5or 6 and charging his friends/family 40$ at a bowling alley in MD to be with him on draft day were red flags from day 1 to me.

Danny Boy overriding his scouts and coaches and our draft board and demanding DH cuz his son knew him from school sealed the deal in a truly awful, boneheaded 1rst round pick for us.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally and when I state QB2 at best. I truly don't see him beating out a bridge QB or Mason Rudolph. The love affair the Steeler coaching has with Rudolph is mind blowing and not sure any "marginally poor" QB's will beat Mason out due to this reason.

As for Dobb's he is the QB3, they like his "mind". :D :rolleyes2:
Sadly the only thing that would ruin that love affair is if they draft someone new. Until then the staff will continue to justify Rudolph's existence like they did with Landry Jones.

In my perfect scenario they sign Minshew and he starts. They spend a boat load of cash in FA on the OL (LT Armstead, RG Scherff, C Jensen), then draft Kenny Pickett (if he falls, but he won't). Mason stays 1 more year at QB2, even if he should be QB3. Dobbs gets hired as QB coach. Use the rest of the capital to fill holes on defense.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you competition is Mason Rudolf and an unproven rookie Haskins could not have a better situation. But I don't see him every changing.

Haskins isn't a rookie, he's in his third season. But the Steelers should be cautious about making him the starter. I've seen nothing from him that says he can lead a team.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game against Detroit when Ben got COVID a bunch of reports surfaced that indicated the staff had soured over Haskins. He was supposed to be QB2 that week but he apparently was texting & farting around during warmups and the coaches got pissed off. But fast forward a couple months to the present and now there are reports that Haskins "caught the eye" of the staff and they want to resign him.

I don't know what to believe lol. There were tons of reports that he was clearly the better player in training camp last offseason, but he still didn't win QB2. I put that on Tomlin though as he has a bad tendency to give "his guys" (drafted) a leg up in any competition. They have been trying really hard to make Mason Rudolph something since drafting him. Ben outright called them out for drafting him that year by sayin "I dont know how that helps us win now", and ever since they have been trying to justify it. I fully expect Mason to start training camp as QB1 next year, as sad as that sounds. But its fair to point out that Haskins did have plenty of opportunities last preseason to show up but he failed to stand out. Also worth pointing out that the OL was dogshit this year, and he was playing behind the 3rd/4th stringers that didn't even make the team. Hard to fault him for not standing out given what he had to work with.

I've been following Dwayne because of my bet and because I hate the son of a bitch. So I was aware of that story, how an assistant said "can you believe that? That's just lazy".

So Dwayne no doubt heard about that too. So he kicked it up a notch, but at some pont who you are is who you are and he does not appear to have it in him.