• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who is going to be the better WR in 2014?

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Joe,

When looking at rookie wide receivers it feels like what I would imagine panning for gold feels like. But I am a firm believer that it makes all the difference which team a rook goes to and what QB he has throwing him the ball. The OC is important as well. So if Min can get a decent QB in the draft it could point to very good things for Patterson since he has the new OC in place.

You guys probably know I am a big fan of Tavon Austin and I think at some point he will start to click. I also have a lot invested in Patterson in my keeper league and it's seems the consensus that he will fair better with a new QB and the addition of Turner so we will see. Thanks for the input everyone

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Cordarrelle Patterson - But the Vikes have a crappy QB, you say? What about the Browns' QB? Like the trio of Campbell, Hoyer and Weeden were any better? Just the fact that the Vikings have hired Norv Turner as their OC favors Patterson. Look what Turner did for Josh Gordon (1646 yds) who was catching everything thrown to him from those 3 stooges in the Dawg Pound.

2) Tavon Austin - A healthy Bradford is key. The floor could be 900+ yards, but I don't see him flirting past 1300. Not with Britt on the other side - and Britt may be the guy seeing single coverage.

3) Sammy Watkins; Mike Evans; Marquise Lee - call me when they get an NFL team. Can't get excited about rookies without a team. Can't get that excited about a rookie WR period. Although I must admit that last year's crop did decently. Just not as decently in the way they were taken:

Last year the top 8 WR taken (in order) were Austin, Hopkins, Patterson, Hunter, Woods, Dobson, Terrance Williams, and Keenan Allen. But they finished like this: Allen (1046 yards); Hopkins (802); Williams (736); Stills (641); Patterson (627); Woods (587); Dobson (519); and Hunter (354).

Hi guys!

Patterson is gonna be a stud. It wasn't until late in the season his snap count/targets started to increase. TWill should improve his numbers if he gets the #2 job (not sure if the Cowboys will do anything at WR in the draft but with Miles Austin Miles gone it's his to win). Not so sure about how the Tavon Austin thing is gonna work out...............

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Joe, can't do rookies until they have a team....as for Austin and patterson

Patterson gets the hype but keep in mind Patterson had 3 rushing TD's last year....you can't bank on that every year. Patterson also only had 3 games all year with more than 5 or more catches....Austin, in the 7 games bradford was QB, had 4 games with more than 5 catches.

I would take Patterson over Austin.......but not because of talent. Only because Austin plays SF/Seattle/Arizona twice a year.....eff that.

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I hate Schotty.....despise him as an OC.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I hate Schotty.....despise him as an OC.
Its really hard to rate him as an OC though because he has spent so much time with Sanchez and Clemens at QB.

One thing of note in this discussion is that Bradford's TD percentage was way up last year before he went down. Obviously Austin wasn't a big part of that but I think its safe to assume that he probably will be.

I forgot about Norv Turner to the Vikings. Patterson would probably be my top choice.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Joe, can't do rookies until they have a team....as for Austin and patterson

Patterson gets the hype but keep in mind Patterson had 3 rushing TD's last year....you can't bank on that every year. Patterson also only had 3 games all year with more than 5 or more catches....Austin, in the 7 games bradford was QB, had 4 games with more than 5 catches.

I would take Patterson over Austin.......but not because of talent. Only because Austin plays SF/Seattle/Arizona twice a year.....eff that.

True. . But the important thing to keep in mind there, was that virtually all of his production, including every game with 5+ receptions and every game with a touchdown (not counting returns), all came in the final 6 games. What that tells me is that #1., the coaching staff needed time to see him play, and they finally started trusting him. #2., he was a rook.. Took him awhile to get the play book, adjust to the speed of the NFL, and to gain the trust of his QB. I also think it's worth noting that that's about the same time that Cassel finally settled in as the starter and they were no longer playing musical QB's.

I don't think it's fair to look at his (or Austin's) season as whole. It's virtually two entirely different seasons from where he started, to where he ended up.
Any one hoping to predict what he might do next year would be wise to put much more weight into those final six games than to look at the whole thing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson is gonna be a stud. It wasn't until late in the season his snap count/targets started to increase. TWill should improve his numbers if he gets the #2 job (not sure if the Cowboys will do anything at WR in the draft but with Miles Austin Miles gone it's his to win). Not so sure about how the Tavon Austin thing is gonna work out...............

If they draft Manziel then he wont...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they draft Manziel then he wont...

I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but the couple of times the Vikes played the Bears, I thought Ponder looked more poised and didn't force any throws. I feel that there is enough potential there that Turner can get some decent production out of him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea who will be where or what the future brings, but, Lee's hands are Braylon Edwards-esque. I don't see him being much of anything in the NFL.