• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WHO GOES WHERE

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will ALWAYS be the Indians to me.
Yeah, the Chiefs are almost certainly going to something like the 'Avengers' in the next decade. Its just weird to see.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how “Indians”, “Braves”, “Seminoles”, “Chiefs”, “Warriors“, etc are in any way derogatory to NAs. These are all very referential and intended to instill pride.

I won’t defend Redskins.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how “Indians”, “Braves”, “Seminoles”, “Chiefs”, “Warriors“, etc are in any way derogatory to NAs. These are all very referential and intended to instill pride.

I won’t defend Redskins.
I don't think Indian is really derogatory but using the word for indigenous people kind of makes Americans looks stupid or arrogant or something. I mean how long did it take before the settlers realized this wasn't India? Why did we keep calling the people that were here first "Indians"? I think we were prepared to just call them that forever until we finally got enough actual Indians here that it became confusing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I won’t defend Redskins.
I tend to agree, there are as many NAs proud of those names as there are offended by them, or at least in the ballpark (pun intended).

Good riddance to the Chief Wahoo shit and the other caricatures, and yes even the dignified ones are objectifying people as 'other'. It's a thing. But I too don't see the harm in the name Indians.

And then if they had to drop it, why the hell did they pass on going back to Cleveland Spiders? Spiders is baller. In college we all like Richmond a little in the tourney because Spiders. Trying to get kids back into baseball? Kids fucking love Spiders (and Spider-people in comics). Marketing dream. But, then, y'know, Cleveland. Most cursed sports town still even with 2016.

And now add the curse of the shitty name, the Guardians, sounds like some church youth group team name.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, which is gayer, Commanders or Guardians? I gotta say Commanders there, very "In the Navy" VP vibe know'm sayin'?

But Guardians over Spiders is a massive own goal. Come on Cleveland! Dang.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree, there are as many NAs proud of those names as there are offended by them, or at least in the ballpark (pun intended).

Good riddance to the Chief Wahoo shit and the other caricatures, and yes even the dignified ones are objectifying people as 'other'. It's a thing. But I too don't see the harm in the name Indians.

And then if they had to drop it, why the hell did they pass on going back to Cleveland Spiders? Spiders is baller. In college we all like Richmond a little in the tourney because Spiders. Trying to get kids back into baseball? Kids fucking love Spiders (and Spider-people in comics). Marketing dream. But, then, y'know, Cleveland. Most cursed sports town still even with 2016.

And now add the curse of the shitty name, the Guardians, sounds like some church youth group team name.
No idea why they abandoned the Spiders originally, no idea why they didn’t go back once they made the decision to abandon Indians.

I suppose they saved a lot of money on their stationary by going with Guardians. Just change ‘In” to “Guar”…

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why they abandoned the Spiders originally, no idea why they didn’t go back once they made the decision to abandon Indians.

I suppose they saved a lot of money on their stationary by going with Guardians. Just change ‘In” to “Guar”…
Wish they'd changed it to
This means gwar! - Gwar | Meme Generator2,000 × 1,430

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish they'd changed it to
This means gwar! - Gwar | Meme Generator2,000 × 1,430
I don’t listen to or follow them, but my understanding is that they are essentially a living/breathing comic book? Every band member is a character (similar to KISS, in a way, I guess) and there is some kind of on going fanfic like story that they are living out.

Like I said, I don’t follow then, but that is my understanding of what they are…

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I won’t defend Redskins.
There’s a NA poster that I had a good conversation with. He said Indians was the one name he thought should go. Said it was a name the white man gave the people. No problem with Braves, Warriors or Chiefs and said Redskins was a common mascot and team name among native Americans teams and it was by far white liberals that had more of a problem with the name than actual native Americans

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, which is gayer, Commanders or Guardians? I gotta say Commanders there, very "In the Navy" VP vibe know'm sayin'?

But Guardians over Spiders is a massive own goal. Come on Cleveland! Dang.
Spiders would be cool. But there's been plenty of stupid nicknames over the years and I think as long as the team wins they will be embraced. What kind of name is "Nationals"? It sounds like some kind of fringe anti-immigration group. But as bad as that is at least they didn't keep the original name which was probably the worst nickname ever--the "Expos". That's like calling your team the Chicago "World's Fairs".

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still no team for Conforto? I did hear that he suffered an injury in January so maybe he's still not fully recovered.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Tigers Fan, I don't like this, but as bad as renaming the Indians Guardians ... letting Francisco Lindor go is their biggest mistake. Bad move for Lindor and Cleveland. Lindor belongs in Cleveland.
Contact the Mets. I suspect they would be open to a trade.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Tigers Fan, I don't like this, but as bad as renaming the Indians Guardians ... letting Francisco Lindor go is their biggest mistake. Bad move for Lindor and Cleveland. Lindor belongs in Cleveland.
I don't feel too bad about it at this point, he hasn't been good and worth nothing close to $300M. Indians offered him something north of $200M. Take it or leave it. He is a great dude but at this point, I'm glad he didn't take it.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel too bad about it at this point, he hasn't been good and worth nothing close to $300M. Indians offered him something north of $200M. Take it or leave it. He is a great dude but at this point, I'm glad he didn't take it.
I think he would have been better in Cleveland ... some players just belong in certain places.