• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019: Who Stays, Who Goes

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some thoughts and opinions looking ahead to what will likely be just as bad of a season as 2018. The list could of course change with trade and/or FA announcements.

RETURNING:

C James McCann – Didn’t have a good year at the plate, but threw out almost 40% of potential base stealers and the Tigers don’t have any studs waiting in the wings. Jake Rogers (.219, 17 HR in AA) is at least another year away.

1B Miguel Cabrera – Hopefully healthy. Ridiculous contract means he will finish his career in Detroit.

3B Jeimer Candelario – No-brainer. Good power and defense and under team control for a few more years.

OF Christin Stewart – He will be given every opportunity to be the team’s regular LF.

OF Nicholas Castellanos – He is arbitration eligible for one more season, and becomes an unrestricted FA in 2020. Possible July trade fodder.

OF JaCoby Jones – Badly needs to learn strike zone discipline, but his speed and defense (league-leading 24 Defensive Runs Saved in OF) will be essential with Stewart and Castellanos in the corner positions.

IF/OF Niko Goodrum – Showed decent power in his rookie season. Speed and position versatility brings him back.

C/1B John Hicks – Good enough at the plate that his ability to spell both McCann at catcher and Cabrera at 1B brings him back.

IF Ronny Rodriguez – Appears to be a defensive liability, but he can hit with some power. Likely just keeping the seat warm for Isaac Paredes.

SP Jordan Zimmermann – No one will take on his contract.

SP Michael Fulmer – Will be returning from another injury, making other teams gun-shy when it comes to a trade.

SP Matthew Boyd – He’s still under team control, and had a good-enough season in 2018.

SP Daniel Norris – I don’t see any other teams having interest, given his injury history. It's still possible he doesn’t even make the team out of spring training.

RP Joe Jimenez – Wore down after the All-Star break, but The Tigers will do everything they can to give him the full-time closer role.

RP Blaine Hardy – Can come out of the bullpen and get both lefties and righties out, and proved he can handle a spot-start.

RP Drew VerHagen – Solid second half. One of very few candidates for a long relief role.

RP Alex Wilson – Arbitration eligible for one more year. Probably gets another one-year deal, and is gone as an FA in 2020.

RP Louis Coleman – He’s a fairly reliable bullpen arm and shouldn’t cost too much to re-sign.

RP Victor Alcantara – Had a 2.40 ERA in 30 innings. He will be given a chance in spring to prove it was real.

GONE:

2B Dixon Machado – Was not called up in September, and he declared free agency on October 3.

SS Jose Iglesias – He’s an unrestricted free agent this offseason. I don’t see the Tigers re-signing him with Isaac Paredes coming up in a year or two.

1B/OF Jim Adduci – Will be 34 in May. Doesn’t fit into the team’s long-term plans.

SP Francisco Liriano – Was only signed to a one-year deal. Nothing to be gained by bringing him back.

RP Shane Greene – Struggled mightily in the second half. He’s still arbitration-eligible for 2019, but I think the Tigers will opt to cut bait and develop Jimenez as the closer.

RP Buck Farmer – His 4.15 ERA looks okay on the surface, but his 1.56 WHIP and 5.3/9 walk rate were pretty much in line with his (crummy) career numbers, suggesting there was a lot of luck involved in the ERA. He’ll be 28 in the 2019 season, and I think we’ve seen his ceiling.

SPRING BATTLES:

Victor Reyes or Mikie Mahtook – Competing for fourth outfielder spot. IMO, Mahtook didn’t do enough to take a spot from the younger and slightly cheaper Reyes.

Dawel Lugo, Harold Castro, Pete Kozma or Willi Castro – One will be the team’s extra middle infielder.

Spencer Turnbull, Ryan Carpenter, Blaine Hardy or Alex Faedo – Possible fifth starter candidates. Faedo will be 23 and likely starts the season in Toledo, but he appears to be the better long-term candidate. Tigers may opt for another one-year FA, as they did with Fiers and Liriano.

Last edited:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will probably see Cabrera and Stewart alternate at DH.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Reyes starts the year in Eerie. Let him expierience success as a hitter and build. He could be a very nice 4th outfielder in 2021, when .500 could be a goal.

Mike Gerber looked awful as a hitter, but he's proven to be a better hitter and a good outfielder in the minors. Him, MM and Jones are all capable of being good defensively. With Stewart hopefully a hitter. Leaves a chance to sign a guy who can hit and play corner spots with no Victor taking up a roster spot. Extra Bat and glove, somewhere.

Rony Rodriguez should go imo. Rather see Lugo work on becoming an MLB starter.

Goodrum as a Utility guy would be ideal. But he may get a spot of his own. Depends on if they get an vet infielder in FA.

I'd keep Greene. Worth the several million dollar risk imo. He could be of value to someone during the summer. Even if minimal. Save control years on other arms.

I'd like to see Nicky C dealt during the offseason. Play the entire season with real outfielders. Return will notbe significant, but he's a 25 year old, athletic DH.

Sign a vet SS or 2nd who may bring a little at the deadline. Start a kid at the other.

Sign a vet starting pitcher and hope for the same. I really wouldn't mind if it's Liriano. Even though he isn't going to gain control over the winter.

Won't be a whole lot of new faces.

Norris in the pen or in the rotation might be the biggest impact area up in the air. Like to see him start and keep all the kids down as long as possible. But I'd take healthy out of the pen. There's talent there. Not even close to time to give up on the Lefty.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Reyes starts the year in Eerie. Let him expierience success as a hitter and build. He could be a very nice 4th outfielder in 2021, when .500 could be a goal.

. . . .

I'd keep Greene. Worth the several million dollar risk imo. He could be of value to someone during the summer. Even if minimal. Save control years on other arms.

I forgot that Reyes can now go back to the minors. As a Rule 5 guy, we were only obligated to roster him at the MLB level for one season. I would agree with him getting some minor league seasoning.

I'm just not sold on Greene. His career ERAs are below. It's starting to look like 2017 may be the outlier season, and he just isn't that good.

2014: 3.78
2015: 6.88
2016: 5.82
2017: 2.66
2018: 5.12

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot that Reyes can now go back to the minors. As a Rule 5 guy, we were only obligated to roster him at the MLB level for one season. I would agree with him getting some minor league seasoning.

I'm just not sold on Greene. His career ERAs are below. It's starting to look like 2017 may be the outlier season, and he just isn't that good.

2014: 3.78
2015: 6.88
2016: 5.82
2017: 2.66
2018: 5.12
I wouldn't invest in him longterm by any means.

One good half is all we'd need.

MGoBlue17

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spencer Turnbull, Ryan Carpenter, Blaine Hardy or Alex Faedo – Possible fifth starter candidates. Faedo will be 23 and likely starts the season in Toledo, but he appears to be the better long-term candidate. Tigers may opt for another one-year FA, as they did with Fiers and Liriano.

Looks like they just signed Moore....will be a decent pick up and who knows if he catches fire.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeesh, I didn't realize Moore's already 29. Guess it's really been 7 years since he came up. He really hit a wall after undergoing Tommy John.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Nick C can net a bottom 80-100 prospect.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see Josh Harrison signed.

Pushing Niko back to super utility. Not going to change the tea leaves much, but I think it makes the depth significantly better. Could make for better baseball to watch.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see Josh Harrison signed.

Pushing Niko back to super utility. Not going to change the tea leaves much, but I think it makes the depth significantly better. Could make for better baseball to watch.

Agreed. At least he's a league average player filling a spot and as you said use Niko as filler