• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who gets cut today?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many years ago my dad knew a guy who was like a backup LB in the NFL, I'm not even sure who it was. Guy loved his job. My dad was like, "Don't you want to start?" And he was like, "Heck no. I don't have to worry about getting injured, just go in, stay in shape, and collect a hefty paycheck." Obviously that's not the sort of guy you're dying to have on your team, but hey, it's not a bad life. One of my good friends was college roommates with USC's long-snapper, the guy who came out in 2003. Giants invited him in as a UDFA following the Niners playoff game debacle. He turned them down. I was like, "Are you crazy? They would've handed you the job!!!" My kids are gonna be long-snappers....

I'm sure at some point he had wanted to start but it became obvious to him that he wasn't going to and maybe as a rationalization, he took on this perspective. Maybe at some point before that he was someone you'd want on the team, but he chose to take the route of accepting his role rather then fruitlessly fighting for it and regretting it.

At the point that your dad met him, yeah, that wasn't a guy you would be dying for to be on your team. I want everyone on the team dying to start. I know I talk a lot about him, but that's one major thing I appreciated with Smith. He could have been Rivers' backup right now (going there in 2011 to be with Norv Turner to be a "great backup" developing to maybe be a stopgap somewhere).