• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who do the Niners take with their first pick?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats been doing this for the last 10 years they trade picks and get future picks and they keep doing this. Again I have no idea what u are talking about. They have been doing this for many years now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One has nothing to do with the other. One is a blue print if we trade up for a Evans around pick 12,13. I guess people are drunk already. Also trading up to get Evans is retooling through the draft.

I like retooling through the draft but in this draft we have too many picks. We need to trade some.

I don't disagree with that sentiment, I just hate the idea of trading what you proposed for Evans. I'm fine to move up into the 20s to make sure we get the (preferably) CB, or possibly WR, we want. I'm also totally fine with moving up in the second, third, etc. using our later-round picks. Mike Evans is not Julio Jones. Moving all of those picks in a deep draft to go get Mike Evans just outside the top-10 would be a mistake.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pats been doing this for the last 10 years they trade picks and get future picks and they keep doing this. Again I have no idea what u are talking about. They have been doing this for many years now.

The Pats have been trading BACK and getting future picks. They have not traded up 20 spots in the first round, as you are proposing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Though frankly, I don't know how much of a model the Pats should really be. Without Brady, they're a middle-of-the-road team - at best. They haven't had all that much success in the draft lately.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with that sentiment, I just hate the idea of trading what you proposed for Evans. I'm fine to move up into the 20s to make sure we get the (preferably) CB, or possibly WR, we want. I'm also totally fine with moving up in the second, third, etc. using our later-round picks. Mike Evans is not Julio Jones. Moving all of those picks in a deep draft to go get Mike Evans just outside the top-10 would be a mistake.

wasn't for you Crim. Sorry

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though frankly, I don't know how much of a model the Pats should really be. Without Brady, they're a middle-of-the-road team - at best. They haven't had all that much success in the draft lately.

Very True. Think about it what stars or pro bowlers have they drafted in the last 5 years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wasn't for you Crim. Sorry

Not sure I'm reading this correctly, but we just disagree. No big deal. This draft, I really don't want to move up that far for anyone. If Mike Evans reaches his potential, he's probably worth it, but that's always a big if.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to badazz. I don't mind trading those picks for Evans. Maybe take away the 2nd pick for next year and im 100% on board with it. I don't care about the extra picks in this years draft because we have so many and I only see us keeping like 6 picks. The rest would be a waste.

I cant wait for the draft.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has nothing to do with the other. One is a blue print if we trade up for a Evans around pick 12,13. I guess people are drunk already. Also trading up to get Evans is retooling through the draft.

I like retooling through the draft but in this draft we have too many picks. We need to trade some.

Some must be, what are you drinking right now moonshine?

Retooling is what the draft is for NFL teams a chance to add incoming talent. Trading up for Evans is trading away a load of draft picks.

We do have too many picks so trading later round picks to move up in the 2nd/3rd or future picks is possible. Your idea of trading up is awful and is NOT what the Pats have been doing to "retool" their team.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to badazz. I don't mind trading those picks for Evans. Maybe take away the 2nd pick for next year and im 100% on board with it. I don't care about the extra picks in this years draft because we have so many and I only see us keeping like 6 picks. The rest would be a waste.

The bolded part is what I think most posters take issue with. We do care about the extra picks those picks are a valuable commodity not only in inserting talent into the roster as depth but they can be used to trade up in 2014 or traded into 2015 so we will have more picks next year. You are correct probably only 6 players stick on our 53 from this class but if a player doesn't make it the could be placed on the PS. Our draft strategy is to compile as many draft picks as we can and use that to will and deal during the draft and in the offseason. IE Gabbert & Martin.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As far as the first sentence in bold, of course you're 100% on board with it. I could even get behind that a trade in which we completely rip off the other team. That's not going to happen.

As far as not caring about the extra picks, I think it's incredibly short-sighted to say you don't care about a second and fourth round pick in a draft that could land future starters with either/both. And there's a big difference between keeping a second rounder versus keeping a fifth rounder, if we're talking about the actual players we'd be adding.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do people think about trading up a little to get Justin Gilbert or Clinton Dix?

Totally on board for Gilbert, particularly if it's in the 20s. But I think Gilbert is going to go top-half and very possibly top-10, and I wouldn't want to move up that high for him. Not as big a fan of moving up for Clinton Dix based on the position and adding Reid high last year, but I wouldn't absolutely hate the move.

And let me throw out my annual draft disclaimer here: I don't watch much college football, and other than reading about the senior bowl and combine I don't know much about these guys on the field, so I'm basing much of this on position and what I've read. Take it with a grain of salt.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do people think about trading up a little to get Justin Gilbert or Clinton Dix?

Totally on board for Gilbert, particularly if it's in the 20s. But I think Gilbert is going to go top-half and very possibly top-10, and I wouldn't want to move up that high for him. Not as big a fan of moving up for Clinton Dix based on the position and adding Reid high last year, but I wouldn't absolutely hate the move.

And let me throw out my annual draft disclaimer here: I don't watch much college football, and other than reading about the senior bowl and combine I don't know much about these guys on the field, so I'm basing much of this on position and what I've read. Take it with a grain of salt.

This sums up what I was going to say perfectly. Even the you don't watch much college football part. Also trade Clinton-Dix for Pryor than I would be all aboard on that move. Only after the top 15 though.