• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who do the Niners take with their first pick?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we trade up. We have filled certain areas of need through FA and trade such as a swing OL (Martin), starting SS, back up QB, CB (Cooks, Wright) and veteran WR. We assured that we wouldn't have to rely on draft picks in order to fill multiple spots on this team which leads me to believe that they want to use those picks are ammo to trade. We will see what happens though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be the BPA at 30 I wonder.

I'm hoping a guy like Fuller makes it that far. Otherwise I'd be looking to drop down and get more picks. There are too many WRs bunched together in the 30-60 range to just take one at 30 just for the need of it. The tiers in CBs are more seperated IMO.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with a WR or CB in the BPA but who would it be if we don't trade up?

As far as WRs go, OBJ or Kelvin Benjamin should drop to the end of round 1. For CBs, I expect Kyle Fuller, Marcus Roberson, or Jason Verrett to be available at pick 30. I would lean towards getting a CB as the drop off after those guys is pretty pronounced. The WR depth is pretty well spread out throughout the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm hoping a guy like Fuller makes it that far. Otherwise I'd be looking to drop down and get more picks. There are too many WRs bunched together in the 30-60 range to just take one at 30 just for the need of it. The tiers in CBs are more seperated IMO.

Trading down is ideal, but only if they are for future picks. Getting more picks in this draft seems counter productive, since we only have a few roster spots available.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly didn't Whif. They resigned Boldin and Dawson and replaced Whitner. After their other moves this left them with peanuts to go tire kicking. Can't expect guys to just sign with us hoping to win a title, they want the dinero as well. After June 2nd we can see who gets cut or roll the cap space into 2015 where we will have like $30M plus to resign our bigguns.

Agreed. With a team that was in the top 4 in the league there was not a huge need for improvement. They just needed to re-sign the important guys and make a tweak here and there through the draft to be competitive again.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly believe Baalke will look to trade up and grab either Fuller, Verrett, Gilbert, or Roby (in that order).

I like Gilbert, but I saw some things in this video that concerned me. He was ejected for what appeared to be throwing blows at another player and the WR (I'm not sure which WR from West Virgnia it was) seemed to get the best of Gilbert during that game. He struggles a bit against the run from what I've seen. He's got some things to work on.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I either want Kelvin Benjamin at 30, or Moncrief with the Chiefs 2nd rounder.

Other than that, draft BPA. We have to draft a WR and a good CB and a guy to compete as a return guy. Other than that there's not much needs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Evans falls out of top 10 I would move up and grab him. If Evans is gone I would move up not as high as Evans but I would try and grab either Gilbert or Dennard. With our 2nd rd pick I would try and move up and make sure we grab either Cooks(if he falls), Adams or Moncrief.

Sleeper Pick: Clemson WR Martavis Bryant: 6-3 3/4, 211lbs, 4.42 40yard dash

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing is the 2 needs we need WR and CB, this years draft is deep at. Either way we should be ok. Don't be shock if 49ers grab another position if a player falls. Also I see 49ers taking a guard in rd 3 or 4 to replace Iupati next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also think that Carolina's pick at 28 would be available for a trade up as well, if we wanted to move up using a combination of our 2's, 3's and 4th. They lost their top 3 wideouts, Gross, and Munnerlyn and they only have 7 picks to play with, all at the end of each round.

I'm not as big a fan of a move like that in this draft. This is a very deep draft. That sort of move is advantageous in a top-heavy draft, but we have a chance to really flesh out our depth and start grooming players for when guys like J. Smith, Boldin, Willis, etc. start to drop off. I know we've added theoretical backups for several of those guys, but we will need an influx of young talent to keep our run alive.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as big a fan of a move like that in this draft. This is a very deep draft. That sort of move is advantageous in a top-heavy draft, but we have a chance to really flesh out our depth and start grooming players for when guys like J. Smith, Boldin, Willis, etc. start to drop off. I know we've added theoretical backups for several of those guys, but we will need an influx of young talent to keep our run alive.

Its always about retooling. That's what the Pats been doing for what 10 years now. Pitt was doing it and they some what feel off. Draft is where we can continue to be successful even when we lose players. I think we can grab like 3-4 starters for the future in this draft.

Just no bone head moves like drafting AJ Jenkins in the 1st.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading what it would take to jump in the low teens. It will be some what close to the J. Jones Trade. Atlanta from 27th to 6th. Atlanta traded its 1st(27th), 2nd rd (59th), 4th rd (124th), and 1st and 4th for the following year. That's the blue print we should look at.

So lets say 49ers trade 1st, 2nd and 4th plus next years 2nd and 5th. This wouldn't be bad for the 49ers because they have 2 2nd rd picks for this year. Losing one wont hurt.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also starting to like this kid Pierre Desir for the 2nd rd. I didn't know much about him but I been looking at videos and reading about him. This kid would be a steal in the 2nd rd.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was just reading what it would take to jump in the low teens. It will be some what close to the J. Jones Trade. Atlanta from 27th to 6th. Atlanta traded its 1st(27th), 2nd rd (59th), 4th rd (124th), and 1st and 4th for the following year. That's the blue print we should look at.

So lets say 49ers trade 1st, 2nd and 4th plus next years 2nd and 5th. This wouldn't be bad for the 49ers because they have 2 2nd rd picks for this year. Losing one wont hurt.

Too much to give up in this draft IMO. Though I'm far from sold on Evans, who seems to be the most common trade-up target, so that doesn't help my opinion of this proposed trade.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its always about retooling. That's what the Pats been doing for what 10 years now. Pitt was doing it and they some what feel off. Draft is where we can continue to be successful even when we lose players. I think we can grab like 3-4 starters for the future in this draft.

Just no bone head moves like drafting AJ Jenkins in the 1st.

How do you post these back to back when they are completely opposite?

Your whole approach is exactly what the Pats haven't been doing the past 10 years. They have traded their first picks and stock piled for most of the 10 years.

Here is a link.
NFL draft 2012: Analyzing New England's draft strategy - ESPN

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has nothing to do with the other. One is a blue print if we trade up for a Evans around pick 12,13. I guess people are drunk already. Also trading up to get Evans is retooling through the draft.

I like retooling through the draft but in this draft we have too many picks. We need to trade some.