• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the storied franchises in MLB?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started following baseball in ‘86 (Humm Baby, You Gotta Love These Kids). I placed Thompson too high on my list. He probably should have maxed at HM.

But BC is legit an all-timer. He probably isn’t as good as Jackson, but Jackson played soooo long ago, it is near impossible to compare.

Robby Thompson is definitely an all-time favorite for me. Uribe to Thompson to Clark will always be in my memory. But broncosmitty was asking for an all time greatest list. If it were an all time favorite list, I would put Thompson at 2B over Jeff Kent just because I love him more. Kent is not really lovable. LOL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started following baseball in ‘86 (Humm Baby, You Gotta Love These Kids). I placed Thompson too high on my list. He probably should have maxed at HM.

But BC is legit an all-timer. He probably isn’t as good as Jackson, but Jackson played soooo long ago, it is near impossible to compare.

My all time favorites lineup. Just based on love, not greatness:

C Posey
1B Will the Thrill
2B Robby Thompson
3B Matt Williams
SS Brandon Crawford
LF Bonds
CF Darren Lewis
RF Pence
SP Lincecum
CL Beck

Manager: Dusty

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robby Thompson is definitely an all-time favorite for me. Uribe to Thompson to Clark will always be in my memory. But broncosmitty was asking for an all time greatest list. If it were an all time favorite list, I would put Thompson at 2B over Jeff Kent just because I love him more. Kent is not really lovable. LOL.
I had a hard time hanging my hat on Kent. He just wasn’t around long enough to really lock it down. But you have to go WAY back to the 20s to get a guy like that at 2B, so I listed him as the “backup”. Unbiasedly, though, he probably deserves the top spot.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My all time favorites lineup. Just based on love, not greatness:

C Posey
1B Will the Thrill
2B Robby Thompson
3B Matt Williams
SS Brandon Crawford
LF Bonds
CF Darren Lewis
RF Pence
SP Lincecum
CL Beck

Manager: Dusty
I kinda like Nen closing out games. Dude gave his career for ‘02. Not his fault it was for naught.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like Nen closing out games. Dude gave his career for ‘02. Not his fault it was for naught.

Nen is greater than Beck. I cheated on my all-time greatest list and made it a closer by committee of Nen and Beck. I love both, but my heart belongs to Beck a little bit more. Nen was perfect. Insane slider that could be 91-92 mph and with crazy movement. He's got it all, so he's gonna get a lot of love already anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nen is greater than Beck. I cheated on my all-time greatest list and made it a closer by committee of Nen and Beck. I love both, but my heart belongs to Beck a little bit more. Nen was perfect. Insane slider that could be 91-92 mph and with crazy movement. He's got it all, so he's gonna get a lot of love already anyway.
The two of them are the clear 1/2 for the franchise. Wilson/Romo/Casilla all closed for Championship teams, but they all had very short reigns as closer and were really more comity closers than dedicated closers anyway.

Beck had the great personality, but Nen literally destroyed his arm and cost himself 10s of millions of dollars to help the team win a ‘ship. How can you not love the guy for that?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two of them are the clear 1/2 for the franchise. Wilson/Romo/Casilla all closed for Championship teams, but they all had very short reigns as closer and were really more comity closers than dedicated closers anyway.

Beck had the great personality, but Nen literally destroyed his arm and cost himself 10s of millions of dollars to help the team win a ‘ship. How can you not love the guy for that?

I do love Nen. He is undoubtedly greater than Beck. I just love Beck a little more. Maybe it has a little bit to do with him being the lesser player and being dead. Maybe this is wrong, but I also feel that Beck looks more like the average person, while Nen is huge and perfect. Plus, Beck does not have a WS ring. Beck embodied the hard luck Giants before they finally won in 2010. I know Nen was a part of that, but he has a ring from the Marlins.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love Nen. He is undoubtedly greater than Beck. I just love Beck a little more. Maybe it has a little bit to do with him being the lesser player and being dead. Maybe this is wrong, but I also feel that Beck looks more like the average person, while Nen is huge and perfect. Plus, Beck does not have a WS ring. Beck embodied the hard luck Giants before they finally won in 2010. I know Nen was a part of that, but he has a ring from the Marlins.
I get it. Beck was a larger than life personality that burned hot and burned fast. Nen was a professional. As a person, very forgettable. I totally get it. And I can’t argue against anyone picking either for a list like this.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. Beck was a larger than life personality that burned hot and burned fast. Nen was a professional. As a person, very forgettable. I totally get it. And I can’t argue against anyone picking either for a list like this.

To be clear, Beck is my closer for my all time favorites list. For my all time greatest Giants list, Nen is the number 1 guy, though I cheated in my list and said that it is a Nen-Beck closer committee. But if I had to pick one guy as the greatest Giants closer, it's undoubtedly Nen.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There might not be any better way to put it, but if you closed your eyes and imagined a closer, Beck is who you would picture in your mind.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, Beck is my closer for my all time favorites list. For my all time greatest Giants list, Nen is the number 1 guy, though I cheated in my list and said that it is a Nen-Beck closer committee. But if I had to pick one guy as the greatest Giants closer, it's undoubtedly Nen.
I think there are legit arguments for either to be on either list.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might not be any better way to put it, but if you closed your eyes and imagined a closer, Beck is who you would picture in your mind.
He is Ricky Vaughn’s older brother (the one who currently lives in a trailer and has a really bad drug problem).

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RED SOX all time line up
lots of old timers
C=FISK/VARITEK
1B FOXX
2B DOERR
3B BOGGS
SS PETROCELLI/NOMAR
RF DEWEY EVANS
CF SPEAKER/LYNN
LF TEDDY/YAZ/MANNY
DH ORTIZ

SP
PEDRO
CLEMONS
CY YOUNG
LEFTY GROVE
MEL PARNELL

CLOSER
PAPELBON
SET UP
RADITZ/STANLEY

Good list. The only ones I'd consider changing are Doerr (Pedroia) and Parnell (Tiant, Lester or Dutch Leonard)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RED SOX all time line up
lots of old timers
C=FISK/VARITEK
my initial gut response is “how dare you compare Varitek to Fisk”. But then I remembered a good portion of Fisk’s career was with the “other” Sox franchise.

Imho, Fisk is the greatest catcher of all time.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my initial gut response is “how dare you compare Varitek to Fisk”. But then I remembered a good portion of Fisk’s career was with the “other” Sox franchise.

I say Bench, but you can't really go wrong with either.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants. They've won more World Series titles than any other National League team

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johhny Bench? Yogi Berra?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants. They've won more World Series titles than any other National League team
Wrong again, and not even close. Man you are just so bad at this.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again, and not even close. Man you are just so bad at this.
In the words of the immortal Donny Osmond: "Go away little girl...."

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know that the decade that just passed (the 2010s) was the first decade that the Yankees missed the WS since the 1910s? Also, since the 1920s, the Yankees have won at least one WS in every decade except the 1980s and 2010s.