• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the storied franchises in MLB?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done a similar thread for the NFL and NBA, and I followed up both of those threads with a poll. Not sure we need a poll for this one. I think it is very clear that the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are storied. Yankees are in their own tier. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are in the next tier.

What might be less clear is whether the following teams are storied: Tigers, A's, Braves, Reds, and Pirates. I would argue that they are, but I'd love to hear what others think. I'd also love to hear if a team I omitted should belong.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As have moneyball
braves have 14 div titles
Reds have big red machine
not sure what the tigers and pirates have

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As have moneyball
Long histories with success in different eras.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As have moneyball

I expect that the Pirates are gonna get dinged by a lot of people because they've gone like 30 years as a small time team. They just don't have the money to compete with the big boys, but from the beginning of MLB to 1992, they had a very rich and successful history from Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente, the We are Family teams, and the Barry Bonds teams.

Edit: And that Mazeroski HR is still the greatest walkoff HR in World Series history.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE MARINERS!!!!!

giggle laughing GIF

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cleveland Baseball Team won a title before the Yankees did.

Take THAT New York!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done a similar thread for the NFL and NBA, and I followed up both of those threads with a poll. Not sure we need a poll for this one. I think it is very clear that the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are storied. Yankees are in their own tier. Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, and Cardinals are in the next tier.

What might be less clear is whether the following teams are storied: Tigers, A's, Braves, Reds, and Pirates. I would argue that they are, but I'd love to hear what others think. I'd also love to hear if a team I omitted should belong.
Didn’t leave a lot of room for discussion. I think you nailed all the teams and out them in their proper tiers.

Yankees

Sox / Giants / Dogs / Cubs / Cards

A’s / Reds / Pirates / Braves / Tigers

Everyone else

Basically, you have the 3 rivalries and then a few special cases then everyone else.

That about covers it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could argue the Phillies should be on the same tier as Pitt, Cincy, Atl etc

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1650580426279.png

i guess it depends on what u consider storied:suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees Dodgers Cubs Red Sox

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 294521

i guess it depends on what u consider storied:suds:

Yeah, the definition of storied is going to be different for everyone. Here are factors that I consider:

1. Total number of World Series trophies.

2. Recent success. If a team hasn't had much success in recent decades, then they lose points for me.

3. Uniform. Bonus points if a team has an aesthetically pleasing look. Negative points if I think the uniform is ugly.

4. Team name. Bonus points for a great team name like Tigers, Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, etc. Negative points, at least temporarily, for a recent name change.

5. Hall of Famers and memorable people associated with a team even if they aren't in the Hall of Fame. I can't wipe Clemens, Bonds, and McGwire from my memory just because they aren't in the Hall of Fame.

6. Relocations. I know I'm biased because I'm a Giants fan, but this is what think: If a team relocated once and it was long ago, then this doesn't hurt them. Dodgers, Giants, Braves, Rangers don't lose points for this.

If a team has relocated more than once or it is relatively recent, then it hurts them. This applies to the Athletics, but they still make my list of storied franchises. This also applies to the Nationals, but the Expos/Nationals wouldn't make it on my list even if they didn't relocate.

7. Rivalries. This helps the Red Sox (Yankees don't need help), Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, and Cubs.

8. Age of team. Sorry Rays, Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Rockies.

9. Importance in the folklore of the game. Cubs score big here. So do other teams, but the Cubs are the biggest beneficiary of this factor, IMO.

10. Appearances in art, books, films, etc. This would've helped the Cleveland Indians, but they changed their name. Major League is one of my favorite baseball films. Yankees are in a bunch of stuff.

11. Historically significant events that go beyond baseball. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. Larry Doby breaking the AL color barrier with the Indians.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t leave a lot of room for discussion. I think you nailed all the teams and out them in their proper tiers.

Yankees

Sox / Giants / Dogs / Cubs / Cards

A’s / Reds / Pirates / Braves / Tigers

Everyone else

Basically, you have the 3 rivalries and then a few special cases then everyone else.

That about covers it.

I had considered a couple other teams, but we have to draw the line somewhere and if too many teams are considered storied, then it's not special anymore.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Giants-Cards is itself a mini-rivalry, so those two teams should get bonus points for that.
I am not intending to argue with him about his choices. Ced typically has decent baseball takes. I am legit curious what his criteria is for why the Giants and Cards are left off his list.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not intending to argue with him about his choices. Ced typically has decent baseball takes. I am legit curious what his criteria is for why the Giants and Cards are left off his list.

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue with his choices either. It's just that you had posted earlier about the three main rivalries, so when I saw your post mentioning the Giants and Cards, it occurred to me that Giants-Cards is also a rivalry and so I thought that was something interesting to point out.