• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where will Jimmy G end up next season?

Where does Jimmy G play next season?

• Pittsburgh (Big Ben retiring)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Carolina (Cam is toast)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Houston (Watson will be traded most likely or in prison)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis (Wentz, LOL.)

• Giants (Jones is likely history)

• WFT (they could use a QB)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Vikings

• Saints

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seahawks (RW could be dealt in the offseason if he continues to bitch)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... the market dried up once he got surgery. The deal represents a $7M in cap hit versus the $27M he was gonna cost them. This outcome doesn't totally surprise me after the restructure. Allows more time for a trade to get done without him hitting the market. In the meantime, they have a backup that took them to the superbowl. Sux for JG... as of right now, that surgery cost him $20M.

Doesn't no trade clause mean he won't be traded?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... the market dried up once he got surgery. The deal represents a $7M in cap hit versus the $27M he was gonna cost them. This outcome doesn't totally surprise me after the restructure. Allows more time for a trade to get done without him hitting the market. In the meantime, they have a backup that took them to the superbowl. Sux for JG... as of right now, that surgery cost him $20M.
His surgery was part of it. But also, the whole league decided to play musical QBs all of the sudden out of nowhere. This was the craziest off season for QBs in the history of the game.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't no trade clause mean he won't be traded?
He wouldn't want to waive it if it meant he could start somewhere else if a starter got hurt?

Pretty sure he would.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move for SF. As bad as Jimmy G is, and he is bad, he is probably better for this year than Lance And IMO it’s only a matter of time before Lance is benched

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 30.....his next deal won't be like this past one with SF but he's still a serviceable starter some team could sign next offseason.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Trade / No Tag clauses, guarantees he's a FA next year. Thats probably the only reason he agreed.

Worry not, the 9ers should get a comp pick out of it. Much better than just releasing him.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is only making 7 mill now?

Some team loses a starter early in the season and they'll be calling SF.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also now that he has a smaller cap hit more teams are more likely to want to trade for him. The Jets and Miami make sense as both coaches have worked with him before.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also now that he has a smaller cap hit more teams are more likely to want to trade for him. The Jets and Miami make sense as both coaches have worked with him before.
Again he'd have to agree, and if a team trades for him without a new deal, he walks next year, as he CANNOT be tagged.

You're hoping you can buy a brand new R8 for a dollar.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad move.....if Lance struggles (or gets hurt) and they want to salvage the season.....Jimmy G can play.
Oops GIF by Out of Office

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again he'd have to agree, and if a team trades for him without a new deal, he walks next year, as he CANNOT be tagged.

You're hoping you can buy a brand new R8 for a dollar.
It would be a team using him as a rental if their starter got hurt.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

49ers restructured Jimmy Garoppolo's contract.​

Per Ian Rapoport, the deal makes Garoppolo the league's highest-paid backup. Garoppolo will be a free agent at the end of the season and he gets no-trade and no-tag claused added to his deal. It's a strange ending to the saga that nearly everyone expected to end with Garoppolo being cut. The move casts doubt on the team's confidence in Trey Lance. Garoppolo's impressive run in 2021 kept Lance on the sidelines for most of his rookie season. He only took the field as a starter when Garoppolo was unavailable. Lance is one of the best athletes at his position, but reports from camp have indicated that he still has improvement to be made as a thrower. On the other hand, the new contract could make it easier to trade Garoppolo, assuming he waives the no-trade clause for the right team. Any team trading for him on the old contract would have taken on his $25 million base salary. At a greatly reduced cost, he is now a far more appealing option for other franchises.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

49ers restructured Jimmy Garoppolo's contract.​

Per Ian Rapoport, the deal makes Garoppolo the league's highest-paid backup. Garoppolo will be a free agent at the end of the season and he gets no-trade and no-tag claused added to his deal. It's a strange ending to the saga that nearly everyone expected to end with Garoppolo being cut. The move casts doubt on the team's confidence in Trey Lance. Garoppolo's impressive run in 2021 kept Lance on the sidelines for most of his rookie season. He only took the field as a starter when Garoppolo was unavailable. Lance is one of the best athletes at his position, but reports from camp have indicated that he still has improvement to be made as a thrower. On the other hand, the new contract could make it easier to trade Garoppolo, assuming he waives the no-trade clause for the right team. Any team trading for him on the old contract would have taken on his $25 million base salary. At a greatly reduced cost, he is now a far more appealing option for other franchises.
The Browns should be on the phone right now.

He is better than Brissett.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo agreed to a new contract in 2022 worth $7 million. Per Albert Breer, Garoppolo will have a $6.5 million guaranteed salary and another $500,000 in per game bonuses. There is a no tag and no trade provision as part of the new contract. Assuming no void years were added and all incentives are NLTBE, the 49ers should pick up $18 million in cap space in 2022.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It just buys them more time to find a trading partner before the deadline while giving them a quality backup in the meantime just in case.

Also the rumors are the 9ers believed he would've been a Seahawk if released so if that's true this is a way to keep him away from a rival though I doubt that was their main motivation.

The other element in play in all of this is if he does sign elsewhere as a free agent I believe that plays in the compensation pick formula so they could still end up with a draft pick even if it wasn't via trade.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just buys them more time to find a trading partner before the deadline while giving them a quality backup in the meantime just in case.

Also the rumors are the 9ers believed he would've been a Seahawk if released so if that's true this is a way to keep him away from a rival though I doubt that was their main motivation.

The other element in play in all of this is if he does sign elsewhere as a free agent I believe that plays in the compensation pick formula so they could still end up with a draft pick even if it wasn't via trade.
Yeah, I am sure the Browns will be sniffing around seeing what SF wants in return.....