• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their moves this summer have been brilliant.

Aside from the longshot of landing all 3 of LBJ, Kawhi and PG, they weren't going to seriously challenge GS this season. Now, they will focus all of their efforts toward landing Kawhi next summer and pairing him with LeBron and most of the young kids. If they are able to get Randle at a good price (looks more likely now), they will be in great shape for 2020 and beyond.

Oh yeah, and the Deng contract will be much less expensive to move next summer.

this is spot on

many of my faker fans on here know I loved Magic's hiring and Mitch's firing. Magic will bring back Laker glory

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things I learned - is that LeBron coming to Los Angeles was not dependent on a second super-star coming. LeBron understands that a second super-star can be created from what the Lakers already have. That means after the Lakers have signed all they are going to -and put their team together built around the salary cap of Deng - I say then buy him out for April of 2019 - then everything in the buy out counts toward the salary for the next season and the Lakers starts the 2019 season with 18 million more under the cap.

I have to admit that the LeBron signing has left me a lot more excited about the Lakers future then I expected. They basically got LeBron without having to trade or sign for any one else.

My one concern is this and tell me what you think. I think Leonard is being a real asshole toward the Spurs and is now trying to force a trade with some dirty moves in my opinion. I don't like that and in spite of him being the 2nd best player in the NBA and what he would do for the Lakers if they could get him cheap - Do you really want that type of a person with that kind of character on your team? My thoughts is if he would screw the Spurs like that - then he would eventually screw the Lakers - it's like finding out your brother just stole a lot of money from your sister. It leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. I am really conflicted with the obvious of keeping and wanting him and taking the chance vs do I trust him:noidea:

That isn't what it means at all.

Because if SA calls tomorrow and says "give me Ingram, Kuzma and Ball"

Magic probably does it.

I think the best course is patience and try to sign Kawhi next summer,

But I would be willing to bet anything that aside from LBJ, none of the players currently on the Laker roster are future superstars. Without risking a semantic debate, a superstar is a first team all NBA caliber player.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic probably does it.

But I would be willing to bet anything that aside from LBJ, none of the players currently on the Laker roster are future superstars. Without risking a semantic debate, a superstar is a first team all NBA caliber player.
I am conflicted on this one

The Paul George happened exactly as I anticipated - I was fearful that he would like it and stay in Oklahoma who was brilliant to take that chance, so there is the possibility Leonard would be gone somewhere else next year..

LeBron, however hasn't pushed for the Lakers to make a trade like that and has accepted the young players and developing one of them into an elite player - so I do think waiting for Leonard to come as a free agent would be a better move and it would clearly put the Lakers in the drivers seat - At this point I think the Spurs has more to lose then the Lakers by not trading.

That being said, however reports indicates Magic Johnson isn't willing to give up Ingram or Kuzma and won't give up Kuzma under any circumstances - which is a surprise to me. I think my initial idea of Ingram for Leonard straight up, but give up some picks as well, and throw in some one like Josh Hart to make it happen. I like Kuzma better then Ingram any way - so I am glad to hear the Lakers are sold on him but if the Lakers could get Leonard straight up for Ingram - I will go over there for free with my truck and help him pack up and move

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their moves this summer have been brilliant.

Aside from the longshot of landing all 3 of LBJ, Kawhi and PG, they weren't going to seriously challenge GS this season. Now, they will focus all of their efforts toward landing Kawhi next summer and pairing him with LeBron and most of the young kids. If they are able to get Randle at a good price (looks more likely now), they will be in great shape for 2020 and beyond.

Oh yeah, and the Deng contract will be much less expensive to move next summer.

Yeah, I just heard that with the moves they have made this summer, they should have the ability to clear up to $40 million in cap space next summer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron, however hasn't pushed for the Lakers to make a trade like that and has accepted the young players and developing one of them into an elite player - so I do think waiting for Leonard to come as a free agent would be a better move and it would clearly put the Lakers in the drivers seat - At this point I think the Spurs has more to lose then the Lakers by not trading.

He hasn't pushed for it that we know of. But you can bet he's expecting that the Lakers aren't done, even if it means waiting for next year.

That being said, however reports indicates Magic Johnson isn't willing to give up Ingram or Kuzma and won't give up Kuzma under any circumstances - which is a surprise to me. I think my initial idea of Ingram for Leonard straight up, but give up some picks as well, and throw in some one like Josh Hart to make it happen. I like Kuzma better then Ingram any way - so I am glad to hear the Lakers are sold on him but if the Lakers could get Leonard straight up for Ingram - I will go over there for free with my truck and help him pack up and move

The Lakers aren't getting Kawhi straight up for Ingram. They are, however, smart to play the long game for 2 reasons.

1. They no longer have to get another max level player this year to sign Lebron because they already signed him.

2. Like PG, we haven't heard directly from Kawhi's mouth that he wants to be a Laker, but from what sources have been saying, Kawhi is far more adamant about coming to the Lakers than PG ever was. Because of that, it should keep the other offers for Kawhi pretty low.

The Spurs have been demanding a kings' ransom for Kawhi, which they should. If the other offers remain low, then the Spurs may come back to the Lakers, still asking for a lot, but not necessarily the kings' ransom they've been demanding. This may be even more likely if the reports that Kawhi may be willing to sit out next season are true.

Even if the Spurs trade Kawhi to another team, I think the Lakers are probably a bit more confident that Kawhi will stick to wanting to join the Lakers next year as an FA because he's more adamant than PG ever was.

If they don't get Kawhi this off season, it also gives Lebron a season to play with the kids and for the Lakers to determine who they're keeping and who they're moving.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, however reports indicates Magic Johnson isn't willing to give up Ingram or Kuzma and won't give up Kuzma under any circumstances

dont believe antything reports say....................Magic will learn from Danny that putting out false narative protects parties real interests. none of us nor the pundits knows whats in Magics head

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont believe antything reports say....................Magic will learn from Danny that putting out false narative protects parties real interests. none of us nor the pundits knows whats in Magics head
I will add that Magic is a genius. LeBron put his faith in a good man

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't pushed for it that we know of. But you can bet he's expecting that the Lakers aren't done, even if it means waiting for next year.

The Lakers aren't getting Kawhi straight up for Ingram. They are, however, smart to play the long game for 2 reasons.

1. They no longer have to get another max level player this year to sign Lebron because they already signed him.

2. Like PG, we haven't heard directly from Kawhi's mouth that he wants to be a Laker, but from what sources have been saying, Kawhi is far more adamant about coming to the Lakers than PG ever was. Because of that, it should keep the other offers for Kawhi pretty low.

The Spurs have been demanding a kings' ransom for Kawhi, which they should. If the other offers remain low, then the Spurs may come back to the Lakers, still asking for a lot, but not necessarily the kings' ransom they've been demanding. This may be even more likely if the reports that Kawhi may be willing to sit out next season are true.

Even if the Spurs trade Kawhi to another team, I think the Lakers are probably a bit more confident that Kawhi will stick to wanting to join the Lakers next year as an FA because he's more adamant than PG ever was.

If they don't get Kawhi this off season, it also gives Lebron a season to play with the kids and for the Lakers to determine who they're keeping and who they're moving.
They were talking about this today as you can imagine. Several things are different

1. Paul George is a follower and not a leader

2. Leonard also wants to market himself and needs Lakers to become a bigger brand. He has the potential to make more money off the court then what he loses in the max contract

So I think the Lakers can afford to wait

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic probably does it.

No tlance. Magic has already stated he is not including Kuzma or Hart in any future talks for Leonard.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers don't need kawhi anymore, so I don't think they'll make a decent offer for him. Kawhi will end up in philly, he already loves their doctor and he'd still get to play in a big market with some young pieces by his side.

Lebron won't push the lakers to pursue Kawhi, Lebron isn't really in LA to win big, he's there for a semi retirement. Like Dwayne Wade said, Lebron is more interested in a lifestyle than winning titles.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers have renounced their rights to Julius Randle making him an unrestricted Agent

Lakers are signing Rajon Rondo to a one year salary of 9 million dollars

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, the Lakers front office has lost me. Rondo has the same floor spreading issues that Lonzo does. Randle seemed like he was ready to bust out. At this point, with Randle going to the Pelicans, it seems signing Boogie is imminent.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, the Lakers front office has lost me. Rondo has the same floor spreading issues that Lonzo does. Randle seemed like he was ready to bust out. At this point, with Randle going to the Pelicans, it seems signing Boogie is imminent.

Boogie isn't going to the Lakers for 5.6 mil. Zero percent chance they land him. My best guess is he goes back to NOLA.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo
McGee
Stephenson
Possibly Cousins??
All with freaking Lavar Ball and his circus already in town.

That is the COMEDY GOLD house of nutcase weirdo jackasses all under one roof.
Luke Walton needs to get out of there soon. What coach in his right mind wants to deal with that group.

Getting Lebron is one thing. Gettting the entire deck of clubhouse cancers is another thing.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't make any sense at all. Only thing I can think of is Lonzo is getting traded because basketball wise, there's no reason to have two players that are almost exactly the same and especially considering you need shooting around Lebron. Plus, I don't like renouncing Randle at this point just on principle. If it were to sign a higher profile player, sure. But at this point in free agency, the prudent thing to do would just sit on him since he's a RFA. Not a lot of teams had cap left. He had a limited market and you had control of it. If he gets a big offer, let him walk. But the longer you hang on to him, the more leverage you have on getting him back on a cheaper deal. Until I see a future trade or some sort of other move to balance things out, I'm saying we botched this