• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When is the last time the league changed to help Defense?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I don't want PI(s) that happen 30+ yards down field resulting in only a 15 yard penalty. You are just asking for players to mug WR every time there is a chance at a big down reception. Why wouldn't they? Giving up 15 yards is a heck of a lot better than giving up a 40 yard bomb or a TD.

Competent officials is what is needed, not more incentive for DB(s) to commit PI.

That's the way it is in College ... I get your point though, but I would be for the change.. I hate seeing bad PI call's result in a 50 yard gain...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way it is in College ... I get your point though, but I would be for the change.. I hate seeing bad PI call's result in a 50 yard gain...

A bad call is a bad call. I would rather see 1 or 2 bad calls that result in game changing field position over constant WR mugging anytime a DB gets beat deep or a deep jump ball is in question. Because why wouldn't a DB commit PI & give up 15 yards instead of a 30+ yard gain? Heck DB(s) already do this a couple of times a game when they get beat on a deep move, they just reach out & grab the receiver & take the 10 yard defensive holding penalty. Imagine how much more often these types of penalties would be chosen to be taken over the alternative of giving up a deep ball for a possible TD if PI(s) was only 15 yards.

And I hate that rule in college.

Last edited by a moderator:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad call is a bad call. I would rather see 1 or 2 bad calls that result in game changing field position over constant WR mugging anytime a DB gets beat deep or a deep jump ball is in question. Because why wouldn't a DB commit PI & give up 15 yards instead of a 30+ yard gain? Heck DB(s) already do this a couple of times a game when they get beat on a deep move, they just reach out & grab the receiver & take the 10 yard defensive holding penalty. Imagine how much more often these types of penalties would be chosen to be taken over the alternative of giving up a deep ball for a possible TD if PI(s) was only 15 yards.

And I hate that rule in college.

It's still a 15 yard auto first down... Qb's can overthrow receivers, receivers drop passes so if your just gonna grab your gonna give up a huge chunk of yards ... When you talk about db's just grabbing if there beat there are variables to just giving up on the play ... In college your just not seeing it be a problem...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah but there talking about implementing MORE rules ... That can shift the balance towards the O ... Defensive holding call's can literally move the ball down the field for the offense...

They actually aren't talking about adding more rules but just being more strict enforcing the ones already in place.

Just my speculation but the NFL seems to want to curb the whole "The refs won't call them all" mentality that defenses are starting to employ when it comes to pass defense.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton said yesterday that of all the plays that the comittee looked at in regards to this, not one of them was a Seahawks play.

I'm not worried. Defenses were hamstrung last year and the best one dominated the SB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there have been a few that people are glossing over that have helped the defense.

1) The RB can no longer lower their head and lead with the helmet (this one was mentioned earlier).

2) They eliminated the "Peel-Back" block that has caused at least a handful of knee injuries in the NFL.

3) Offensive Line players can no longer grab ahold of face masks of defensive players. Saw this one called quite often this past season.

4) Tuck rule of now a quarterback does not have to fully tuck the ball back in for it to be a fumble but now it is if they are beginning to tuck the ball back in and lose the ball it is a fumble.

5) This is more special teams but could lower points scored in a game of they are extending the field goal posts higher so as to not have to question whether a ball was good or not.

That is to name a few. I know the defense has obviously been hurt more but not like they have completely ignored the offensive side of the ball either.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually aren't talking about adding more rules but just being more strict enforcing the ones already in place.

Just my speculation but the NFL seems to want to curb the whole "The refs won't call them all" mentality that defenses are starting to employ when it comes to pass defense.

Well true... But it's yet another thing to help the offense... They already call defensive holding allot and now there gonna enforce it just like 2004 with the no touch rule ... The offensive production was WAY up when they did that... It's already up anyway because defenses can't hit like they used to and now this.... I think between the 49rs and Seahawks what's so impressive about the last several years is how high a level of defense both squads have played considering all the rules... It's amazing actually...

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when they outlawed stickum' so long ago

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of eliminating the spot foul. Can't stand when an offense throws it up and hopes for a flag.

The problem with eliminating the spot foul is it will encourage blatant interference on long passes.

Maybe they could have two PI calls. Incidental PI becomes a 10-yard penalty. Intentional PI becomes a spot foul.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the PI rules for enforcement should stay exactly how they are. Making spot fouls, 10 yarders, 15 yarders, 5 yard holding, etc just creates more problems going forward. I think they're fine. What I don't think is fine is that a QB can throw a ball 10 yards short down the sideline and because the DB didn't get his head around and the WR stops and basically initiates contact they get the benefit from a shitty pass.

If you want that penalty, put the ball on the defenders helmet or within a foot or 2. If the DB is just face guarding or making contact and doesn't have his head around, fine, throw a flag. a ball at the defenders feet and he didn't get out of the way for the receiver to try and catch it? tough shit, throw a better ball. Defenders have a right to their spot on the field too, or at least they should.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When every time a db touched a receiver they were throwing the flags... It hurt the game big time... Even the players started openly talking about how it was hurting the game... 2004 I believe when they implemented the no touch rule...

Peyton Manning let's go from year 2,000 until now with touchdown passes ....

2000.... 33 Td's
2001.... 26 Td's
2002.... 27 Td's
2003.... 29 Td's
2004.... "49" Td's Year the no touch rule was implemented
2005.... 28 Td's Year they backed off ....
2006.... 31 Td's
2007.... 27 Td's
2008.... 27 Td's
2009.... 33 Td's
2010.... 33 Td's

This is Manning years with the Colts from 2000.... You can clearly see what the rule did to his touchdown production when implemented.... I know last year he beat that record with 55 but that was a combination of not facing good defenses most of the year and also having a helluva season with the Broncos.... But clearly it's no fluke he had 49 Td's the year the rule was implemented...

How exactly did it hurt the game big time? Did people stop watching? Did league revenue go down? Please be specific in your response.

By the way, in 2004 they didn't implement any more rules. They just put an emphasis for officials to start calling contact by defensive backs tighter. The rules were already in place. It's the same thing that's happening this year. Oh, and the NFL didn't back off the rules the following year. Defenses adjusted, just like they always do. "Players have already adjusted to the rules changes from 2004," Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans, said. "They've developed alternate techniques that can be effective but less likely to draw an illegal-contact flag."

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with eliminating the spot foul is it will encourage blatant interference on long passes.

Maybe they could have two PI calls. Incidental PI becomes a 10-yard penalty. Intentional PI becomes a spot foul.

I also think this would be a really good idea.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only problem is the definition of incidental is very subjective. Also every year in the NFL they try to emphasize at least one rule to officials that the NFL feels like was missed quite a bit the year before. Teams last year tested the limits of the rule and many times the officials let it happen. The NFL is just making sure the rule does not get taken advantage of. Teams will adjust as they always do. Not that big of a deal.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate putting the discretion on the ref's, but how about if it is flagrant then it is spot foul? If someone is burned so you just drag the guy down...spot foul.

My annoyance is when it is an obvious prayer and because the defender didn't turn around to see that it was 15 feet underthrown, a flag comes out. Right now the defender is hosed...turn around to look for the ball and the WR stops = penalty. Don't turn around and the WR stops = penalty. The best deterrence for this was a FS over the top who was going to lay some wood on those fluttering prayers, but they can't even do that anymore.

:10::agree:

Defenses are handicapped for sure into lose lose situations. I like the the flagrant idea. No different than the roughing the punter rule. 5 or 15 rule and refs disgression.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as PI being subjective.
The entire call is subjective.
Maybe if refs were better at calling an actual PI it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
But I hate seeing a PI call when looked at again may not even be a PI at all. Would rather see that messed up call be a 10 yd & auto 1st, than a 35 yd gain & ball placed on the one yard line. For what could be considered a blown call. You cant challenge a PI & they are so touchy on that call it is ridiculous. The only close to fair thing I could think of is the flagrant & minor PI calls.
I agree with the poster that mentioned a 10 yd version & a spot foul version.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. As I said though, I can't see it happening because of the fact that the only other rule like that, the facemask one, got changed a while ago.