• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When is the last time the league changed to help Defense?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the recent news about cracking down on defensive holding. I know the NFL likes the fantasy football fan who watchs games to see how his guy does (hello Jax v Hou thursday night football lol)

I can't think of a change the was supposed to benefit defense.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember, did they bring back an "in the grasp" type rule? That would help the defense. The last I can think of is the intentional grounding rules, where you had to be outside the pocket and get the ball beyond the LoS.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not recent enough, that's for sure...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember, did they bring back an "in the grasp" type rule? That would help the defense. The last I can think of is the intentional grounding rules, where you had to be outside the pocket and get the ball beyond the LoS.

Yeah thats a good call. Honestly I think the biggest thing thats changed that benefits the defense is the Post play celebration crack downs they've rolled out.................and that leads me to :lol:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very often. I'm having trouble remembering one.

Offense = points and points = money so they lean in that direction.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the league has pretty much hamstrung the defense in recent years. don't you expect a flag to come flying out on every pass play?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if they rewrote the PI rules to state that contact from the defender doesn't necessarily mean it is a foul. How about if they say:

1) if the receiver can still make play on the ball, then no PI
2) PI is now a 10 yard penalty instead of a "spot of foul" penalty, 1st down is guaranteed
3) Since we all know a receiver will just flop on contact, write the rule to say catching the ball doesn't negate the penalty. meaning you can still get another 10 yards if you catch the ball.

Would that be seen as helping the defense? So just because you put your arm on the guys back or shoulder, if he can still get around and get two hands on the ball then it isn't a penalty. However, if you tackle or turn him, or pin an arm down then it is a penalty.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if they rewrote the PI rules to state that contact from the defender doesn't necessarily mean it is a foul. How about if they say:

2) PI is now a 10 yard penalty instead of a "spot of foul" penalty, 1st down is guaranteed
3) Since we all know a receiver will just flop on contact, write the rule to say catching the ball doesn't negate the penalty. meaning you can still get another 10 yards if you catch the ball.

Would that be seen as helping the defense? So just because you put your arm on the guys back or shoulder, if he can still get around and get two hands on the ball then it isn't a penalty. However, if you tackle or turn him, or pin an arm down then it is a penalty.

I like the idea of eliminating the spot foul. Can't stand when an offense throws it up and hopes for a flag.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of eliminating the spot foul. Can't stand when an offense throws it up and hopes for a flag.

We would start seeing tackles and outright hacks though if spot fouls were eliminated. Occasionally will see it at the college level. More of a judgement call than anything for me if it should be a spot foul or not theoretically.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would start seeing tackles and outright hacks though if spot fouls were eliminated. Occasionally will see it at the college level. More of a judgement call than anything for me if it should be a spot foul or not theoretically.

I hate putting the discretion on the ref's, but how about if it is flagrant then it is spot foul? If someone is burned so you just drag the guy down...spot foul.

My annoyance is when it is an obvious prayer and because the defender didn't turn around to see that it was 15 feet underthrown, a flag comes out. Right now the defender is hosed...turn around to look for the ball and the WR stops = penalty. Don't turn around and the WR stops = penalty. The best deterrence for this was a FS over the top who was going to lay some wood on those fluttering prayers, but they can't even do that anymore.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense's would like the league just stop the pick plays the offensive coordinators are getting away with these last few seasons. Kills me when the ball is 3 yards in the air on 3rd and 18

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate putting the discretion on the ref's, but how about if it is flagrant then it is spot foul? If someone is burned so you just drag the guy down...spot foul.

I could agree with that. Don't think the league would agree though, because they got rid of the different types of facemask foul in order to simplify things.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got rid of the "WR forced OB" rule. Now he has to get both feet down regardless. That's the only one I can think of. I like the idea of giving the refs more discretion when calling a spot penalty on PI. Spot foul only if it's blatant, otherwise 10 yards.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be my issue with any change. PI is already so much of a judgement call that I have no earthly idea anymore what is and isn't PI. Even if you knew one official called it one way and another called it a different way - that level of inconsistency doesn't exist.

I don't want anything that makes an official have to think about it. It either is a penalty... or it isn't. No gray area.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be my issue with any change. PI is already so much of a judgement call that I have no earthly idea anymore what is and isn't PI. Even if you knew one official called it one way and another called it a different way - that level of inconsistency doesn't exist.

I don't want anything that makes an official have to think about it. It either is a penalty... or it isn't. No gray area.

It is, and shall remain for the foreseeable future, a difficult rule to deal with.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like that idea. That should really eliminate a lot of the flopping you see from receivers from time to time. I think encouraging the offensive players to fight through contact would be a very good thing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL you just put a damper on my offseason ... The no contact rule was a disaster back in the day so why start enforcing it again ?? This is not a concussion issue or any safety issue so give the defense a break for god sake... These are some of the fastest men on earth running directly at you, sometimes trying to initiate contact so how TF do you expect NO CONTACT to happen ... NFL is asking the impossible for defenses if they put that cheesy crap back in there... I understand a grab of the jersey or a hook impeding the route but don't start throwing flags for a little contact because contact happens on every dam play ...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL you just put a damper on my offseason ... The no contact rule was a disaster back in the day so why start enforcing it again ?? This is not a concussion issue or any safety issue so give the defense a break for god sake... These are some of the fastest men on earth running directly at you, sometimes trying to initiate contact so how TF do you expect NO CONTACT to happen ... NFL is asking the impossible for defenses if they put that cheesy crap back in there... I understand a grab of the jersey or a hook impeding the route but don't start throwing flags for a little contact because contact happens on every dam play ...

When exactly was it a disaster?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the league has pretty much hamstrung the defense in recent years. don't you expect a flag to come flying out on every pass play?

Pretty much, and it doesn't help that any contact at all causes the receivers and QB to start whining about a flag. Something is a little wrong with the sport when you cringe after every pass play either hoping for a flag if your team is on offense or hoping against one when they're on defense.