• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's your opinion of Andre Drummond on the Lakers?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-12 million is a huge pay cut from what he was getting for a player who probably views himself as allstar caliber.

8-12 million would be viewed as an epic failure in the Drummond camp.

Exactly. And if he winds up riding the bench for the Lakers, he will be lucky if he even gets that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And if he winds up riding the bench for the Lakers, he will be lucky if he even gets that.

I think he gets that no matter what.

That is bench player money. Somebody will pay him at least 15.

I think Drummond is going to want $20-25 or more from a good team.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont see him getting it at this point

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see him getting it at this point

Me either

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe he will take a min type deal to play on a good team. He has done enough losing for a career.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe. He was a buyout candidate for a reason. Not a lot of history of players getting bought out and then getting a high MLE contract afterwards.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. He was a buyout candidate for a reason. Not a lot of history of players getting bought out and then getting a high MLE contract afterwards.

He was a buyout because matching his salary was not easy to do with expendable, expiring pieces.

I don’t think Drummond is nearly as good as his stat line suggests, but he is also probably the most talented buyout player maybe ever.

Most buyout guys are either mediocre or past their primes. Drummond isn’t either.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a buyout because matching his salary was not easy to do with expendable, expiring pieces.

I don’t think Drummond is nearly as good as his stat line suggests, but he is also probably the most talented buyout player maybe ever.

Most buyout guys are either mediocre or past their primes. Drummond isn’t either.

Yeah. But it's not like the Cavs desperately needed to buy him out. They could have waited until the offseason. But the reality was that his contract was FAR more than anyone would want to pay.

If he went to LA and was a productive player for them, that might have swayed someone into giving him 15-20 mil a year. But as it stands, he's too much of a dinosaur.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True....but also possible he became closer to mediocre IN his prime. At least in today's NBA.

Still time to prove himself in the playoffs but he doesn't do much with no AD/Lebron so might do less assuming they play.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. But it's not like the Cavs desperately needed to buy him out. They could have waited until the offseason. But the reality was that his contract was FAR more than anyone would want to pay.

If he went to LA and was a productive player for them, that might have swayed someone into giving him 15-20 mil a year. But as it stands, he's too much of a dinosaur.

Yeah, I agree.

Don’t the Cavs save a few dollars in the buyout scenario?

If not, possible they just decided to help him out and do him a solid.

If they couldn’t get assets for his expiring contract at the deadline, they weren’t getting anything this off-season either.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True....but also possible he became closer to mediocre IN his prime. At least in today's NBA.

Still time to prove himself in the playoffs but he doesn't do much with no AD/Lebron so might do less assuming they play.

I agree. He is a flawed player and his role is outdated.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree.

If they couldn’t get assets for his expiring contract at the deadline, they weren’t getting anything this off-season either.

From what I understand, most buyouts are basically just hair cuts for the players and they get the bulk of the remaining money. They likely did do it to help out the player and agent.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree.

Cavs saved little (compared to what they owed). Maybe 750K.

The Cavs' critics would have ripped the Cavs no matter what they did (not lumping you in here). I think it's probably clear no one offered anything of value, but had they gotten something from a bad team they'd have even been ripped for doing that to him (even though a FA after the season).

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. He is a flawed player and his role is outdated.

If he devoted himself to perimeter defense and transition buckets and put backs he'd become more valuable. He has to get with the times.

He has the ability to guard in space. That is something for a guy his size.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if he winds up riding pine for the rest of the season. Then he becomes "good stats/bad team" guy. The market for players like that isn't great.

I don't know about that. There are a few reasons he could end up riding the pine for the Lakers beyond "good stats/bad team".

For example, we know that because he's more of a "traditional center", there are certain teams that he just isn't going to play as much against. Similar to Dwight and Javale last year. How much he plays will be determined by the Lakers path through the playoffs. He likely won't play much against teams that are going to run smaller lineups that want to play faster. But will play a lot vs. more deliberate/half court oriented teams.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

He has proven he can post numbers on bad teams. That really isn’t all that valuable.

In order to prove that he is worth another big contract, he needs to show he can be a high quality player on a good team. That means being a defensive anchor, getting every rebound and consistently finishing when teammates create scoring chances for him.

If he isn’t clearly in the Lakers top 4 this post season, he isn’t getting a big contract.

^^^This exactly^^^

He is going to have a role similar to Dwight last year, but maybe expanded slightly because the Lakers don't have to worry about his age. If he accepts that role and thrives like Dwight did, he can get himself a decent size contract.

If he doesn't, he'll be lucky if anyone offers him much of anything, including the Lakers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This exactly^^^

He is going to have a role similar to Dwight last year, but maybe expanded slightly because the Lakers don't have to worry about his age. If he accepts that role and thrives like Dwight did, he can get himself a decent size contract.

If he doesn't, he'll be lucky if anyone offers him much of anything, including the Lakers.

Dwight got a league minimum contracts with the Sixers.

Obviously Drummond is much younger so he'll get more but 15 million a year seems like a big reach.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short dude is an enigma. His defensive rating is good but his box is average. He's shown he's adept at passing yet is a turnover machine. He is arguably the best rebounder in the league yet isn't getting enough put backs.

He has to define himself and make something about his game his calling card besides rebounds. I truly think if he'd devote the necessary energy he'd be a very good defender.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he devoted himself to perimeter defense and transition buckets and put backs he'd become more valuable. He has to get with the times.

He has the ability to guard in space. That is something for a guy his size.
He could definitely be a better Tristan Thompson if he were willing.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean consider in his all star season he was fifth in blocks, 20th in steals, his win shares were 10th...10th! Obviously tops in boards. He was starting to mesh from a standpoint of kicking out to the 3 point shooters..

And then all the sudden he got (I assume) obsessed with the new deal and stopped being that guy to that level about half way into the next season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight got a league minimum contracts with the Sixers.

Obviously Drummond is much younger so he'll get more but 15 million a year seems like a big reach.

I agree. I wouldn't want the Lakers to give him that much. Misspoke a bit on Dwight. His performance with the Lakers is likely why the Sixers were willing to sign him. He was playing to stay in the league.