• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's your opinion of Andre Drummond on the Lakers?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been playing too much. All they need him for is to another center option when Gasol isn't working out. While the skillsets are different, its a similar to how they needed one or both Howard/McGee in certain spots last year even with Davis playing center. Davis will get the majority of the minutes at center come playoff time. Some minutes will go to smaller line ups. But some will require either one of Gasol or Drummond and that will depend on the situation. But for right now, they're losing games playing Drummond 25 to 30 minutes a game and DNPing Gasol. Both guys need to be splitting minutes close to equal. Gasol has declined quite a bit, but he still has value. Drummond isn't good enough to begin with to warrant those minutes, but there's still value. They need to find that balance

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been playing too much. All they need him for is to another center option when Gasol isn't working out. While the skillsets are different, its a similar to how they needed one or both Howard/McGee in certain spots last year even with Davis playing center. Davis will get the majority of the minutes at center come playoff time. Some minutes will go to smaller line ups. But some will require either one of Gasol or Drummond and that will depend on the situation. But for right now, they're losing games playing Drummond 25 to 30 minutes a game and DNPing Gasol. Both guys need to be splitting minutes close to equal. Gasol has declined quite a bit, but he still has value. Drummond isn't good enough to begin with to warrant those minutes, but there's still value. They need to find that balance

I agree. Aiming for equal minutes is the way to go with Gasol and Drummond. However, Vogel is determined to shut out Gasol unless Drummond gets into foul trouble like he did last night. I can understand trying to acclimate Drummond but you can't ice Gasol for the playoffs while doing it. Vogels rotations and lineups have been pretty bad at times this year, I'm starting to lose a lot of respect for him.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he first got in the league, he’d bring the ball up court a dozen times a game.

I just thought he was raw. I mean, he was a teen.

Pretty sure shortly after I got here, I put him on a short list of guys who could be the best player in the league five years out.

He’s better on the boards than I’d ever imagined. A true knack for it. But he should never have the ball outside, oh, 8-10 feet.

Still a big fan. He’s a great dude.

Yea he really is a likeable guy. Even if you hate his game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Aiming for equal minutes is the way to go with Gasol and Drummond. However, Vogel is determined to shut out Gasol unless Drummond gets into foul trouble like he did last night. I can understand trying to acclimate Drummond but you can't ice Gasol for the playoffs while doing it. Vogels rotations and lineups have been pretty bad at times this year, I'm starting to lose a lot of respect for him.

You're making too much out of Vogel's rotations, imo. His rotations have been the result of injury, new faces on the roster and trying to keep guys fresh for the playoffs.

They brought in a lot of new faces in the off-season and they all needed to be worked in. That meant experimenting with different rotations to find out who can play together. Then Lebron and AD got hurt. So he had to change up the rotations again. Then they got McLemore and Drummond, 2 new faces that had to be worked in. Then AD returned, another rotation change. Then Lebron returned, another rotation change. Now Schroder is out, so the rotation changes again. I'm sure Vogel would love to have had his rotations all figured out and locked in by now. But circumstances outside of his control have made that impossible.

They don't need equal minutes for Gasol and Drummond, they need to let the situation dictate which of them plays and when. I think a lot of Gasol's lack of playing time is more about getting him to the playoffs rested and healthy because that's where he'll be needed.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making too much out of Vogel's rotations, imo. His rotations have been the result of injury, new faces on the roster and trying to keep guys fresh for the playoffs.

They brought in a lot of new faces in the off-season and they all needed to be worked in. That meant experimenting with different rotations to find out who can play together. Then Lebron and AD got hurt. So he had to change up the rotations again. Then they got McLemore and Drummond, 2 new faces that had to be worked in. Then AD returned, another rotation change. Then Lebron returned, another rotation change. Now Schroder is out, so the rotation changes again. I'm sure Vogel would love to have had his rotations all figured out and locked in by now. But circumstances outside of his control have made that impossible.

They don't need equal minutes for Gasol and Drummond, they need to let the situation dictate which of them plays and when. I think a lot of Gasol's lack of playing time is more about getting him to the playoffs rested and healthy because that's where he'll be needed.

I think it is also very likely that Vogel promised Drummond significant playing time to "prove" himself. Drummond isn't a guy in the twilight of his career. He was a 27 year old buyout who is likely looking for another sizable contract. If he can't get significant minutes with the Lakers, that will seriously harm his market next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is also very likely that Vogel promised Drummond significant playing time to "prove" himself. Drummond isn't a guy in the twilight of his career. He was a 27 year old buyout who is likely looking for another sizable contract. If he can't get significant minutes with the Lakers, that will seriously harm his market next year.

Good point. He's been in the league for so long that I think folks, myself included, forget that he's only 27.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No major complaints so far. He needs more time with the team, especially with Lebron and AD.

One thing I've noticed is that he doesn't seem to catch the ball real well in traffic. A lot of times he'll bobble it a little or have it knocked out of his hands. There have even been a few times where he just flat dropped it.

He also doesn't take advantage of his length enough. Doesn't catch and keep the ball high, often releases his shots low, etc. Makes it easier for the defender to alter his shot or steal the ball.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about all that. The Lakers are concerned with the playoffs, not Drummond's marketability. If anything, Drummond's depressed value makes it easier to bring him back next season.

Drummond has been the new guy, so he needs the minutes to get acclimated. All of the Lakers' bigs have weaknesses (Harrell's size/perimeter game, Gasol's age/mobility, Drummond's perimeter game, etc), so it becomes more about who gets hot once everyone is on the same page. Drummond has been putting up some solid numbers. When it gets to the playoffs and AD starts playing more center (and hopefully Lebron is healthy enough to play), all of these guys (and Morris) will have to settle for less minutes.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t disagree with you that Vogel has been given a lot of changes to work with but giving Gasol so many DNP-CD doesn’t make much sense. Gasol needs to keep his rhythm as much as the next guy. The Lakers also need win games so playing Drummond too much in order to acclimate him is costing the Lakers wins they desperately need.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don’t think THT should be getting so many minutes, he’s a huge ball hog.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with you that Vogel has been given a lot of changes to work with but giving Gasol so many DNP-CD doesn’t make much sense. Gasol needs to keep his rhythm as much as the next guy. The Lakers also need win games so playing Drummond too much in order to acclimate him is costing the Lakers wins they desperately need.

The Lakers just need to get to the playoffs with a rested and healthy Lebron. If that happens, play-in tournament or not, the Lakers will be the favorites to come out of the West.

Yes and no on Gasol. They need to get Drummond acclimated. Gasol is a vet and will be there when needed as we just saw when he entered the game against Denver and helped them win.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This I agree with. I think his minutes are probably more about other guys being out. He's a good player and he can score the ball. But he needs to expand his game beyond looking to score every time he touches the ball.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good sample size with the Cavs to get a pretty decent contract in the offseason.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They needed him to score without AD and James.....kid is going to be a beast defender, big reason I love his game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With no Lebron or Schroder, he's forced into more minutes at the point. At least he attacks the rim. Looking like the Lakers should've kept another PG on the roster...

Reactions: DJ

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no Lebron or Schroder, he's forced into more minutes at the point. At least he attacks the rim. Looking like the Lakers should've kept another PG on the roster...

I'd rather give more minutes to AC, he's better defensively and isn't a black hole.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers just need to get to the playoffs with a rested and healthy Lebron. If that happens, play-in tournament or not, the Lakers will be the favorites to come out of the West.

Yes and no on Gasol. They need to get Drummond acclimated. Gasol is a vet and will be there when needed as we just saw when he entered the game against Denver and helped them win.

I don't think Vogel would have played him, though, if Drummond wasn't in foul trouble.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They needed him to score without AD and James.....kid is going to be a beast defender, big reason I love his game.

His only game is to drive headlong into the paint and the occasional fade away. Teams have him figured out already, he has more minuses than pluses at this point. He doesn't dedicated enough of his energy to defense but he could end up being a good defender if focuses on it more. With his incredible wing span I thought he would be a good defender already.