• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's your opinion of Andre Drummond on the Lakers?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was getting better at scoring, I'd agree with you but he's getting worse and he's holding up the ball additionally. He was taking the ball out of Schroder's hands when AD and LBJ were out, how's that helping the scoring, dipshit?
He is making 45% of his FGA's and averaging the same number of apg as Caruso in fewer mpg. But, he's a ballhog?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is making 45% of his FGA's and averaging the same number of apg as Caruso in fewer mpg. But, he's a ballhog?

Having the same number of assists as Alex Caruso doesn't mean he's not a ballhog. Russell Westbrook has averaged double digit assists several times and he's a ball hog. Although I don't think ballhogs like that term and we're supposed to call them "ball dominant" now.

Ball hog probably isn't the right term for him. I'd go with "ball stopper". He doesn't get the ball enough to be a ball hog. But when the ball does come to him it tends to stop while he looks for a shot and he doesn't typically pass it until he's explored all of his scoring opportunities. It's okay to do sometimes...but he does it when he should just be moving the ball along to the next guy.

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the same number of assists as Alex Caruso doesn't mean he's not a ballhog. Russell Westbrook has averaged double digit assists several times and he's a ball hog. Although I don't think ballhogs don't like that term and we're supposed to call them "ball dominant" now.

Ball hog probably isn't the right term for him. I'd go with "ball stopper". He doesn't get the ball enough to be a ball hog. But when the ball does come to him it tends to stop while he looks for a shot and he doesn't typically pass it until he's explored all of his scoring opportunities. It's okay to do sometimes...but he does it when he should just be moving the ball along to the next guy.
That I can agree with, but ballhog is not accurate at all.

And even with that, he's been a surprise and a great addition to the rotation. Caruso is a FA and if we had to decide between keeping the 2 I'd go with THT since he's younger and has more upside at this point. Hopefully, we can keep both.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the same number of assists as Alex Caruso doesn't mean he's not a ballhog. Russell Westbrook has averaged double digit assists several times and he's a ball hog. Although I don't think ballhogs don't like that term and we're supposed to call them "ball dominant" now.

Yes, that's a better description. I don't think he's entirely bad prospect, he's just young and needs to be reined in more and his 4th quarter minutes drastically limited.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drummond had multiple suitors and was expected to go to the Nets. Why did he chose to go to LA? What assurances was he given by Vogel? None of us have any way of knowing but the notion that he went hat in hand to the Lakers ignores reality.

I'm sure that Vogel gave him no assurances about playoffs minutes but I think it is entirely reasonable to believe that he did give him a commitment about the regular season.

He went to the Lakers because the Nets signed Blake and already had Jordan. Lakers had more minutes available at the time. Lakers injuries had more minutes available immediately, but I'm sure there were no guarantees as the season progressed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went to the Lakers because the Nets signed Blake and already had Jordan. Lakers had more minutes available at the time. Lakers injuries had more minutes available immediately, but I'm sure there were no guarantees as the season progressed.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with me here about. I said that the team likely gave him some commitments on playing time to start but no guarantees regarding playoff minutes. Which is why he was getting so much more PT than Gasol.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have come to NY, don’t know if we even pursued him..

had he come here , wow , he could have gotten us couple more rounds .. he would have been a perfect fit...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has he been better than you expected? Just as good as you expected? Worse than you expected? And Why?
about as expected. I am glad he's no longer on Cavs but figured there might be times he can help LA. That said, they are 2-2 when he sits and 5-9 when he plays if I'm not mistaken. Didn't see the game, but thought I saw he had as many rebounds as me in his last game.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No major complaints so far. He needs more time with the team, especially with Lebron and AD.

One thing I've noticed is that he doesn't seem to catch the ball real well in traffic. A lot of times he'll bobble it a little or have it knocked out of his hands. There have even been a few times where he just flat dropped it.
He will definitely not be confused with Steve Largent (not just because of looks).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drummond with Lakers - 1.5 apg, 25 min
Caruso - 2.6 and 21

could have just deleted but I'll own my mistake......just hit me you were likely talking about THT, not Drummond. My bad.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the same number of assists as Alex Caruso doesn't mean he's not a ballhog. Russell Westbrook has averaged double digit assists several times and he's a ball hog. Although I don't think ballhogs like that term and we're supposed to call them "ball dominant" now.

Nailed it. He will almost never be the guy who gets a pass and immediately zips it to an open player for a better shot. I've used almost that exact wording you did to describe him - won't pass until he exhausts every chance to shoot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about all that. The Lakers are concerned with the playoffs, not Drummond's marketability. If anything, Drummond's depressed value makes it easier to bring him back next season.

Drummond has been the new guy, so he needs the minutes to get acclimated. All of the Lakers' bigs have weaknesses (Harrell's size/perimeter game, Gasol's age/mobility, Drummond's perimeter game, etc), so it becomes more about who gets hot once everyone is on the same page. Drummond has been putting up some solid numbers. When it gets to the playoffs and AD starts playing more center (and hopefully Lebron is healthy enough to play), all of these guys (and Morris) will have to settle for less minutes.

The Lakers are concerned with the playoffs.

Drummond is concerned with his marketability.

It is possible Drummond perceives that he is good enough that playing time wouldn’t be an issue in choosing the Lakers and this conversation wasn’t a major part of negotiations to bring him in. It is also possible that @flyerhawk is dead on and that promises were made to Drummond.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good sample size with the Cavs to get a pretty decent contract in the offseason.

Not really.

He has proven he can post numbers on bad teams. That really isn’t all that valuable.

In order to prove that he is worth another big contract, he needs to show he can be a high quality player on a good team. That means being a defensive anchor, getting every rebound and consistently finishing when teammates create scoring chances for him.

If he isn’t clearly in the Lakers top 4 this post season, he isn’t getting a big contract.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can get anywhere from 8-12 million per year.

8-12 million is a huge pay cut from what he was getting for a player who probably views himself as allstar caliber.

8-12 million would be viewed as an epic failure in the Drummond camp.