• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What we do with Clowney?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we could get the 8th pick in the draft for Bradford I'd jump on that faster than a tick on a hound dog. But as you say 27Mtrcougar, someone in the Vikings would have to be crazy to do that. We could draft Bridgewater or Bortles, and still get BPA with the 8th and 13th picks. Ah, to dream, but then to come back to reality....

If not for his injury I think a team needing a QB would do it in a heartbeat. If not a first this year then next year for sure.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd has won 2 big bowl games, Manziel has won 2 big bowl games, Bortles has won 1 big bowl game as a heavy underdog, Bridgewater has won 2 big bowl games 1 as a heavy underdog.

They've fulfilled the NCAA part of the test.

As bonafide "elite" QBs? No. Not really.

What I mean is, if we're still wondering at this point, then they don't qualify. Not to say they aren't any good (well... "Johnny Football" won't be. But that's just my opinion. Lol) but, if they were, there would be no doubt about it by now. Look at guys like Andrew Luck and RGIII only a couple years ago. They were considered elite prospects. They were a true consensus "one-and-two".

Think about it... The Texans are clearly in the market for a QB. If either of these guys were elite, it'd be a no-brainer. Yet, we're still discussing a strong possibility they'll take a DE instead? That should tell us something. There are plenty of other teams below us who need a QB, as well. The Jaguars, the Browns, the Raiders, the Vikings... the list goes on. With two elite prospects in play, we'd be looking at another draft bonanza, easily. But, the very real possibility that both Manziel and Bridgewater will be around beyond #3, only weakens our position.

Andrew Luck was going to be #1 a year before he even declared. That's an elite prospect. There was no question the Colts were going to take him. Hell... they jettisoned arguably the greatest QB of the modern era and torpedoed their 2011 season just for the rights to the guy. And in turn, the Rams waved the #2 pick in 2012 around like it was the winning Powerball ticket in the middle of a trailer park, because Robert Griffin was a consensus elite QB. This year... same pick... not so much [perceived] value.

Neither Bridgewater, Manziel, or Boyd, for that matter, are worthy of a first round selection. At least, not to the St. Louis Rams. Our best hope is that some other QB (or DE) starved team will deal with us, so that the gift of Griffin keeps on giving.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget that rg3 and cam newton weren't highly rated as draft prospects. Rg3 did get there by this point but it took him awhile. Cam was seen as a polarizing bust right until his first game. Tannehill wasn't seen as a qb at this point and he is pretty good imo

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Tanneyhill and Ponder went relatively high considering they weren't considered elite, speaks to the fact that quarterbacks will be taken in the top ten.

QB needy teams don't get to determine their initial draft spot. So they start the draft process where their record lands them.

If a team wants a QB, then they probably want a specific QB. Trading down does not guarantee they will get the QB they want - hence the Tanneyhill and Ponder selections in the top ten. That's why QBs are overdrafted. Also, your team is not guaranteed to be in a position the following year - unless your the Raiders - to be able to draft a POTENTIAL NFL starting QB that will lead you to the playoffs. You generally need to be in the top ten draft positions. So teams pull the trigger when they find themselves in this position.

Last year the Bills gambled on their trade down to #16 to still get EJ Manuel - but that is the exception.

Of course, every team hopes to land a Super Bowl franchise quarterback wherever in the draft they pick one. But history suggests that the best chance of that happening is a first round pick. And the majority of first round quarterbacks go in the top ten.

This helps the Rams leverage their draft pick.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone will trade up for a QB, the fact that we as a group do not see an "Elite Type QB" in this draft, does not mean, others think that their man is. The history of the draft has many stories of the "out of the pocket" chance for a preimer player that works out. Each scouting dept has a clue what will help them and the Rams have the pick already that helps anyone of them get who they want. The worst thing that can happen, is to wait hoping their guy gets to them and doesn't.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone will trade up for a QB, the fact that we as a group do not see an "Elite Type QB" in this draft, does not mean, others think that their man is. The history of the draft has many stories of the "out of the pocket" chance for a preimer player that works out. Each scouting dept has a clue what will help them and the Rams have the pick already that helps anyone of them get who they want. The worst thing that can happen, is to wait hoping their guy gets to them and doesn't.

This is certainly true. Our pick does still hold plenty of value. Especially if the Texans decide to go with one of the QBs.

I'm not saying that Manziel, or Bridgewater aren't worth a first round pick to anyone.... they're just not worth a first round pick to the Rams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Texans don't pick a QB, our pick has no trade value. You're sending a very bold message if you fire your coach and are picking #1 and you don't draft a QB.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Texans don't pick a QB, our pick has no trade value. You're sending a very bold message if you fire your coach and are picking #1 and you don't draft a QB.

Agreed. :agree:

Well... not exactly "no" value. But, the stock will plummet.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. :agree:

Well... not exactly "no" value. But, the stock will plummet.

I don't agree. I see Bridgewater as head and shoulders above Bortles/Manziel/Carr. Anyone that wants a chance at Teddy will need to jump over Jacksonville and deal with the Rams.

That said, I still think Houston drafts Bridgewater.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans with Bill O'Brien has intimated they are taking either Bridgewater or Matthews. Whether this assertion has any truth to it or it is just a smokescreen remains to be witnessed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at worst we end up at #6 trading with Atlanta who REALLY wants Clowney...if we can find a way to deal with Cleveland to go down from #2 to #4, that would be a DREAM scenario...

ATL does want and need Clowney, but the owner wants protection for the $100 mil he just invested into Ryan. I don't see them being really anxious to move up with 3 OTs in this draft that will start.

CLE...they are assured of getting a QB @ 4, so I don't see why they would want to move to #2 unless they've fallen in love with one of them.

The best trade partner for 2 is probably MIN or TB maybe...MIN, right now they're shut out of the QBs, and the 2 top pass rusher in their current spot. TB...new HC so QB is always a possibility, but I think they want Clowney also.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might have overlooked the Raiders ATL96. I say might because Mark Davis is so screwed up, he'd probably trade his entire draft this year to move up to take a kicker from somewhere.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walterfootball just updated their mock and now has Clowney as our pick, heres the summary.

"Conventional wisdom says the Rams will pick Jake Matthews if they remain here at No. 2 overall, but I'm beginning to think more and more that they'll select Jadeveon Clowney despite the lacking need for a defensive end.

This pick would be all about the future and the strategy of choosing the best player available. Clowney is a once-in-a-decade talent, so how can St. Louis pass on him for a tackle, which is a position that Jeff Fisher refuses to spend early draft choices on? Fisher believes he can coach up tackles, and besides, there's a chance Jake Long will be ready for the 2014 season opener after tearing his ACL. If that's the case, St. Louis will have Long and Joseph Barksdale (played very well last year) as its two tackles, so where would Matthews go?

Clowney would struggle for playing time early, but the Rams like to rotate their defensive ends. Both Chris Long and Robert Quinn were off the field for 12-15 snaps each game this past season. Clowney would get those reps. Perhaps St. Louis would even move Long inside on passing downs, allowing the three dynamic pass-rushers to be on the field at the same time. That's scary.

Also, consider that the soon-to-be 29-year-old Long is due $10 million in 2015 and $11.75 million in 2016. The Rams may not be able to afford him in those seasons.

Pick change; previously Jake Matthews, OT
"

2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com