• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What we do with Clowney?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder if the Vikings sitting at 8 and they need a QB would they be interested in Bradford for the 8th pick?? sounds crazy but they would have to give up much more to move up to 2 to get a QB

If Bradford was healthy, maybe. They would not send us the #8 pick for a QB they may not get to use for the first 6 weeks of the year. Maybe a 2nd rounder. But I also think that Derek Carr will be there for them at #8 so trading for Bradford won't be necessary. Maybe Oakland, but man I would not even wish that on a QB I could not stand, much less a guy I am still not convinced as reached his best yet.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100% convinced that we will NOT choose anyone at number 2. We will either pick at 4 or 6 and take Sammy Watkins with our first choice...period, end of statement.

Well thats the goal but we need a trade partner. and we need to trade with Cleveland to get 26... then trade with ATL or Tampa and get their second rd pick. :nod:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will either pick at 4 or 6 and take Sammy Watkins with our first choice...period, end of statement.
Why does our fanbase always lock in on players? We locked in on Suh, Aaron Curry, Tavon Austin and others pretty much every year. For all we know, we are trading back twice and picking up a safety and a guard and stocking picks for next year in case Bradford doesn't work out

By big board is still Bridgewater, Matthews.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100% convinced that we will NOT choose anyone at number 2. We will either pick at 4 or 6 and take Sammy Watkins with our first choice...period, end of statement.

After trading up for Austin going for another WR?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely..Austin is a true weapon in the way Percy Harvin is, but he is not now nor will he ever be a true #1. Sammy Watkins is a true #1 that only comes around every 5 years or so....there is a BIG difference

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely..Austin is a true weapon in the way Percy Harvin is, but he is not now nor will he ever be a true #1. Sammy Watkins is a true #1 that only comes around every 5 years or so....there is a BIG difference
The once in every 5 years player in this draft is Clowney. Bridgewater and Watkins are once every 2 years kind of players. Everyone else is probably within the realm of what you would expect in a first round.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even sweat the dilemma... The Rams aren't going to draft Jadeveon Clowney. First of all... if pass rushing is the already the strength of your defense, the only way you draft a pass rusher that high, is if you have no other holes to fill elsewhere. It's painfully obvious that's not the case with the Rams.

Secondly... even if we did draft him, say, "for depth", Clowney can't play inside and there are much better true DTs available, should we go that route. As far as moving Long inside... well, that's not all that viable either. Long's experience on the "interior" is limited to work in a 3-4 scheme. Pending some sort of drastic change in defensive philosophy, the Rams are sticking with the 4-3.

As fantastic as it would be to have a DE rotation featuring Quinn, Long, Hayes and Clowney... it's just not going to happen. The pick may or may not be traded. That remains to be seen. But, we're simply not in the position to take a "luxury pick" this year. Especially when it involves one of the few luxuries we already have.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does our fanbase always lock in on players? We locked in on Suh, Aaron Curry, Tavon Austin and others pretty much every year. For all we know, we are trading back twice and picking up a safety and a guard and stocking picks for next year in case Bradford doesn't work out

By big board is still Bridgewater, Matthews.

As is mine Clayton, but I am 100% sure we will not pick at #2. This is not about locking in on a player, but looking at BPA that fits our needs at #4 or #6. Now, Matthews might still be sitting there at #6, and if he is, we might take him. But my opinion is that the drop off from Watkins and/or Evans to the next group (Benjamin,Coleman,Moncrief,Adams,Parker) is MUCH MUCH bigger than the drop off from Matthews to Kouandjio,Erving,Robinson or Lewan, all of which will be available at #13. That is why I feel Watkins is the right choice IF we trade down. Now, if they stand pat, Matthews might be the better choice but it is still a tough call IMO. Would I be upset if we ended up with say Matthews,Mosley,Loston and Kelvin Benjamin as our first 4 picks?? No. But I would be happier with Watkins,Kouandjio,Loston and then either DT or OLB..

For the record, I wanted Bradford and not Suh...just saying

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since your insane HC and GM are going to pass on yet another superior QB and stick with deer in the headlights Sam, you may as well take Clowney. Long can play DT no problem.

Interesting take... from the fan of a team that waited 3 years, 3 injuries and an 'all-world' WR, for Matthew Stafford to break out.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But my opinion is that the drop off from Watkins and/or Evans to the next group (Benjamin,Coleman,Moncrief,Adams,Parker) is MUCH MUCH bigger than the drop off from Matthews to Kouandjio,Erving,Robinson or Lewan, all of which will be available at #13.
Evans is not in the same group as Watkins. EJ Gaines totally shut down Evans when I saw him. Evans last 3 games:

4 receptions, 51 yards 0 TDS (LSU)
4 receptions, 8 yards 0 TDS (Mizzou)
4 receptions, 72 yards 0 TDS (Duke)

He also went completely berserk against Alabama and Auburn but I'm not sure that means what it used to. CBs were complaining that Evans would grab them and throw them down and then he'd run past them and catch the ball. I think they adjusted to that and he started getting shut down a bit

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The once in every 5 years player in this draft is Clowney. Bridgewater and Watkins are once every 2 years kind of players. Everyone else is probably within the realm of what you would expect in a first round.[/

Looking at the last 5 drafts, Watkins will be better than Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin,Nicks,Britt, Blackmon,Wright,Jenkins,Austin and Patterson. That is not to say the Rams whiffed on Austin, but again, Watkins is a true #1 in the style of AJ Green,Damarius Thomas,Julio Jones and Dez Bryant...once every 5 years...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The once in every 5 years player in this draft is Clowney. Bridgewater and Watkins are once every 2 years kind of players. Everyone else is probably within the realm of what you would expect in a first round.[/

Looking at the last 5 drafts, Watkins will be better than Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin,Nicks,Britt, Blackmon,Wright,Jenkins,Austin and Patterson. That is not to say the Rams whiffed on Austin, but again, Watkins is a true #1 in the style of AJ Green,Damarius Thomas,Julio Jones and Dez Bryant...once every 5 years...
:scratch: AJ Green, DeMaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and Dez Byrant have all been drafted within the past 5 years.

Clowney is the best DE prospect since....

Robert Quinn :yahoo:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long can play DT no problem.

Oh... and Long CAN'T "play DT, no problem". You're talking about a completely different position in a completely different scheme. Ideal 4-3 DTs are usually in the 290-300 pound range and while they are expected to rush the passer on occasion, it's via the interior. Meaning, instead of breezing by Tackles with room to move, they instead take on 300+ pound guards. Not to mention frequent double-teams in the run, and are expected to stave them off, making room for the LBs to make plays. One guard could handle Long. Chris Long is a 260 pound speed rusher, who gets limited push. That's why the larger William Hayes is the guy moved to the inside on passing downs. Not only does Long lack the ideal size/strength for the position, it takes him completely out of his element and plays exactly opposite his strengths.

If you want a 4-3 DT... then draft a 4-3 DT. But, smart coaches (and even "insane" ones) won't move an under-sized player to the middle where size means the most.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and Robert Quinn was drafted 3 years ago... but in the last few years have also been guys like Aldon Smith and Brian Orakpo. Clowney will be a beast in a 3-4 system as a rusher like Aldon Smith. He just does not fit our system. This is not to say he will not be special. He will just be special in Atlanta or Oakland...lol

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green, DeMaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and Dez Byrant have all been drafted within the past 5 years.

Yes, I know. I feel like Watkins will be listed with this group of WR's VERY quickly...that is what I am saying. I was not completely clear Clayton my friend..

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we have to break down the possibilities here.

Houston: They are picking the top QB prospect. Lets slot Bridgewater here.
STL: ????
Jacksonville: DE and QB are their 2 top needs. They will take the #2 QB or Clowney
Cleveland: QB or BPA.
Oakland: QB or BPA
Atlanta: Clowney or Matthews.

If the 2012 draft is any indication, moving one spot here or there is worth a 4th round pick. Maybe slightly more because Clowney will be desired. If we are talking an elite QB, its worth a lot more. We won't know anything until we know how many elite QB prospects are in this draft. If there are none and the Texans take Clowney, trading is pretty much off the table. If there is only one, trading down isn't going to net much unless Atlanta gets fiesty. If there are two or more, imo, we'd be daft not to draft one of them.

So we are looking at:
-If there is 2 or more elite QB prospects, draft a QB
-If there is only 1 elite QB prospect, trade down a couple of spots and net an extra 3rd rounder and draft Matthews or Watkins
-If there is no elite QB prospect then stay put and draft Matthews or Watkins

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 2012 draft is any indication, moving one spot here or there is worth a 4th round pick. Maybe slightly more because Clowney will be desired. If we are talking an elite QB, its worth a lot more. We won't know anything until we know how many elite QB prospects are in this draft. If there are none and the Texans take Clowney, trading is pretty much off the table. If there is only one, trading down isn't going to net much unless Atlanta gets fiesty. If there are two or more, imo, we'd be daft not to draft one of them.

That's just the thing... The NCAA season is over. There's no games to be won. No more film to be watched. Any other evaluation is going to come from the Senior Bowl and whether or not Kiper, Mayock, or any of the other talking heads can convince you by late May, that some "pro day, workout warrior" is the second coming.

If "we don't know" if there are any elite QB prospects by now... that means there aren't any. And that's precisely why QB should be scratched off the list for the Rams anywhere near the first two rounds.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams say Bradford is the guy… but maybe a smokescreen while they decide because he counts 17m against the cap. I just wonder if the Vikings sitting at 8 and they need a QB would they be interested in Bradford for the 8th pick?? sounds crazy but they would have to give up much more to move up to 2 to get a QB. teams love to know what they are getting vs giving up a lot and taking a chance in the draft.

If we could get the 8th pick in the draft for Bradford I'd jump on that faster than a tick on a hound dog. But as you say 27Mtrcougar, someone in the Vikings would have to be crazy to do that. We could draft Bridgewater or Bortles, and still get BPA with the 8th and 13th picks. Ah, to dream, but then to come back to reality....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "we don't know" if there are any elite QB prospects by now... that means there aren't any. And that's precisely why QB should be scratched off the list for the Rams anywhere near the first two rounds.
Boyd has won 2 big bowl games, Manziel has won 2 big bowl games, Bortles has won 1 big bowl game as a heavy underdog, Bridgewater has won 2 big bowl games 1 as a heavy underdog.

They've fulfilled the NCAA part of the test.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd has won 2 big bowl games, Manziel has won 2 big bowl games, Bortles has won 1 big bowl game as a heavy underdog, Bridgewater has won 2 big bowl games 1 as a heavy underdog.

They've fulfilled the NCAA part of the test.

Yep! Plus every year the hype will build with the combine and the pro days on these QB's teams will fall in love always do. If EJ manual went 16 last year...