• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What trades will Woody make? Gallo? Soto? Deadline approaches as the Rangers visit Mike Trout in the hospital

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Reddit it is basically dunk on Joey Gallo week. Yankees fans cannot wait to be rid of him, and Padres fans are praying he doesn't go there.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Rangers subreddit, I commented that a fan can either want Gallo back or want the Rangers to build a team that contends. Someone responded that since the Rangers weren't competing this year, bringing Gallo back makes sense, because a change of scenery could help him be a .800+ OPS player again. I replied that 2 months of a .800+ player does nothing for the franchise.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Rangers subreddit, I commented that a fan can either want Gallo back or want the Rangers to build a team that contends. Someone responded that since the Rangers weren't competing this year, bringing Gallo back makes sense, because a change of scenery could help him be a .800+ OPS player again. I replied that 2 months of a .800+ player does nothing for the franchise.
Unless FO thinks he can turn it around and resign him to much lessor offer than originally offered, it makes no sense to get him for this season

For all we know. No one takes him and he has to sign a MILB contract to reestablish value

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless FO thinks he can turn it around and resign him to much lessor offer than originally offered, it makes no sense to get him for this season

For all we know. No one takes him and he has to sign a MILB contract to reestablish value

I'm 100% against Gallo coming back. Ever.

I hope he goes somewhere and has a decent career, but I am completely against it being with the Rangers.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they plan a 14 year $500 million extension that kicks in 2023. Paying him $35 mil a year until he’s 37-38
So we can be where the Angels are with Trout's contract in a few years?

Besides, it takes two to agree to an extension and one of them is Boras.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope he goes somewhere and has a decent career, but I am completely against it being with the Rangers.
I feel that way about Woodward.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised at all if the Rangers have Gallo back here in a few days. I am not hoping for it, but then I wasn't hoping they would sign Calhoun a few months ago either.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t want him back at this point either. Wish he could change his approach a little instead of swinging for the fences constantly.

So we can be where the Angels are with Trout's contract in a few years?

Besides, it takes two to agree to an extension and one of them is Boras.

I agree.. I don’t want Soto at this time. 2 years is not a good fit for our window and I honestly don’t want to do a 14 year $500 million contract for one player.
It’s a bad situation either way imo.
I want 1 bonafide SP and one shut the door closer going into 2023.
I think the offense will continue to grow with the young players we currently have.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised at all if the Rangers have Gallo back here in a few days. I am not hoping for it, but then I wasn't hoping they would sign Calhoun a few months ago either.
Miller for Gallo is fine by me. No way do I want him to cut into Duran and Leody time.
He would need to be a bench player.
However at some point we are going to need to get lucky on a flyer. Never say never on longshot like Gallo. Sure don’t want him blocking a roster spot come fall though.

Of course all this makes no sense seeing his current history and he has to be very damaged goods at this point. Kind of like picking up a lovable stray

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Let's do some math.

The heralded right-handers signed for a combined $8.9 million.

The Rangers' draft bonus pool is $9,640,700. My figurin tells me there is $740,700 remaining.

Left-hander Kohl Drake, the 11th-rounder, signed for $175,000, and $50,000 counts against the Rangers' pool. Five others — RHP Matt Brosky (eighth round), SS Griffin Cheney (ninth round), OF Josh Hatcher (10th round), RHP Jackson Kelley (12th round) and LHP Justin Sanchez (18th round) — have signed for undisclosed amounts.

It's likely Brosky, Cheney and Hatcher signed well below their slots, and the others didn't sign large enough deals to count against the bonus pool.

Let's say the Rangers have $625,000 remaining. The Rangers want to sign their fifth-, sixth- and seven rounders — outfielders Chandler Pollard and Tommy Specht, and right-hander Luis Ramirez. Their combined slot values are worth $977,900, and the value of any player who goes unsigned is subtracted from the overall pool.

The Rangers could choose to go over their bonus, though they would have to pay a penalty. Going over by 5 percent or less incurs a 75 percent tax on the overage. Overages at 6-10 percent would cost the Rangers a first-round draft pick and the 75 percent tax.

No team, according to mlb.com, has ever gone over 5 percent.

It's going to be tricky.

The deadline to sign draft picks arrives at 4 p.m. Monday.

Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Gallo discussion on Reddit has turned to defending the move because "he'd only be taking AB away from Kole Calhoun." I've explained that Calhoun himself is already taking away AB from Smith/Duran, so replacing him with someone else doesn't really fix the issue.