• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What now? More players off the table.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Napoli & No Beltran. I guess this is an update of predictions for what's next? What now? Choo can't hit Lefties and Nelson Cruz is not the answer and those are 2 we don't need to overpay for. I think we need to sign Garza now. Lets let this David Price stuff go away. (Felix/Kuma/Garza/Paxton/Walker). If they want to trade Paxton & Franklin in a package fine, but then you better sign Colon since Kuroda is off the table. I hope that Z is on the phone trying to negotiate for Stanton, why not try? We missed out on Dexter Fowler.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo doesn't make a whole lot of sense as yet another lefty, but I wouldn't complain.

I'd be fine with getting Butler in a trade for a lot more than most M's fans would want to give up.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo doesn't make a whole lot of sense as yet another lefty, but I wouldn't complain.

I'd be fine with getting Butler in a trade for a lot more than most M's fans would want to give up.

Yeah I mentioned Butler in another thread. Besides Franklin I don't know what else we send over. Keeping Ackley is a good idea because he can also play 1B, and even though he lacks the power of that position we have Cano. So in a way they are reversed. I can't think of any other RH players :/ I'd rather us spend $ on pitching then trade for it that's for sure. It's too bad Trumbo is probably unavailable now too since Bourjos was sent to St. Louis.

Also.. Since Beltran signed with New York- KC likely will still need Butler.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has been rumored to be trading Butler for the last year so I dont think missing out on Beltran changes that.
Im still ok with Choo, Butler and maybe Raja Davis for center.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it the more David Price makes less sense to me.

Our current rotation:

1. Felix
2. Iwakuma
3. X
4. Walker
5. Paxton

Say you trade Walker or Paxton in a package for David Price, you upgrade on one slot but still have another to fill:

1. Felix
2. Iwakuma
3. Price
4. Walker or Paxton
5. (Insert Saunders caliber pitcher here)

I would much rather have:

1. Felix
2. Iwakuma
3. Matt Garza, Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana
4. Walker
5. Paxton

It makes more sense in the short term and the long term in my opinion. If the Mariners can somehow get Price without giving up Paxton or Walker I would be fine with it. But I figure that is pretty unlikely.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I mentioned Butler in another thread. Besides Franklin I don't know what else we send over. Keeping Ackley is a good idea because he can also play 1B, and even though he lacks the power of that position we have Cano. So in a way they are reversed. I can't think of any other RH players :/ I'd rather us spend $ on pitching then trade for it that's for sure. It's too bad Trumbo is probably unavailable now too since Bourjos was sent to St. Louis.

Also.. Since Beltran signed with New York- KC likely will still need Butler.

Kind of happy Beltran signed with the Yankees. He will be 37 by the time the season starts and could drop off any year now.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Price makes less sense. Im just sick of signing the Saunders/Millwood stop gap for a year to be our #3, it never works.

I think being able to find a quality number will be the difference in this rotation being good or average. I still think its hard to expect Kuma to repeat what he did last year so Im hoping for a Garza/or someone through trade that doesnt involve Walker or Paxton hopefully

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Yankees are willing to listen to trade offers on Brett Gardner.

They have already received significant interest in Gardner since Friday's signing of Carlos Beltran, and though they aren't actively shopping him, the Yankees outfield is extremely crowded and he could net a useful return. The Bombers currently boast an outfield contingent of Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Ichiro Suzuki and Vernon Wells.

-----------------------

So would a Franklin (I heard they need a 2B now) for Gardner make sense to both? I have always liked Gardner, but my only issue would be an overload of LH bats. Add him with Hart and Cruz, then maybe it would be worth it. Just a thought.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying I am a big fan of Cruz, but at this point we need some OF bats and RH preferred. I also like Hart for 1B and some OF.

My ever changing Plan.

1B- Hart
2B- Cano (having used that one before. sounds weird)
3B- Seager
SS- Miller
LF- Cruz
CF- Ackley or Saunders
RF- Choo
DH- Trade Franklin and Paxton for one (Butler? or ???)

SP's- Feliex, Kuma, Colon, Jimenez/Garza, Walker
RP's- Add Crain and Axford (or something similar).

I really wanted Napoli...dang!

Am I the only one who wants Morales retained?

I feel like retaining Morales is easier than finding a replacement for him. I have not heard anything about any interest for Morales, probably because teams don't want to give up their first rounder for him. I figure this would give the Mariners pretty good leverage over him and we could land him on a shorter term contract.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who wants Morales retained?

I feel like retaining Morales is easier than finding a replacement for him. I have not heard anything about any interest for Morales, probably because teams don't want to give up their first rounder for him. I figure this would give the Mariners pretty good leverage over him and we could land him on a shorter term contract.

No I would like to keep Morales. Honestly I find it strange that it isn't being discussed more. In my mind it makes complete sense to bring Morales back.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I would like to keep Morales. Honestly I find it strange that it isn't being discussed more. In my mind it makes complete sense to bring Morales back.

I think it makes sense. He offers zero value running or out in the field but he did hit .277 with 23 HRs and was out best player at the plate last year. Plus I think the Mariners could get him at a decent rate due to the leverage we have over him.

I have not heard one rumor about another team being interested.

Only 16 hitters in MLB hit 23+ HR with 80+ RBIs and a BA higher than .277.

Morales only value is at the plate but I feel like he is somewhat underrated. He is not worth another team giving up a first round pick to sign him but I think he is a good fit here. He may end up having to accept the Mariners qualifying offer.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it makes sense. He offers zero value running or out in the field but he did hit .277 with 23 HRs and was out best player at the plate last year. Plus I think the Mariners could get him at a decent rate due to the leverage we have over him.

I have not heard one rumor about another team being interested.

Only 16 hitters in MLB hit 23+ HR with 80+ RBIs and a BA higher than .277.

Morales only value is at the plate but I feel like he is somewhat underrated. He is not worth another team giving up a first round pick to sign him but I think he is a good fit here. He may end up having to accept the Mariners qualifying offer.

Morales already turned down the qualifying offer, which is good news for the M's. Either they re-sign him or get a comp pick. Here is the story.

Jon HeymanBaseball Insider

Kendrys Morales will turn down Mariners' qualifying offer

November 11, 2013 2:50 pm ET

1111_Kendrys-Morales_inside.jpg
Kendrys Morales hit .277 with 23 home runs and 80 RBI. (USATSI) ORLANDO, Fla. -- Kendrys Morales will decline the Mariners' $14.1-million, one-year qualifying offer, according to people familiar with the situation.
Morales is one of 13 players given the qualifying offer by his incumbent team but figures to get a multiyear deal after hitting .277 with 23 home runs and 80 RBI.
Agent Scott Boras declined comment on the qualifying offer, but said regarding Morales and his numbers, 'Twenty three [home runs] and 80 [RBI] is the new 30 [home runs] and 100 [RBI]." That's a reference to declining power around the game, and how much interest Morales should generate.
Boras said they've calculated that only 27 players had 23 home runs and 80 RBI, less than one per team. Boras also alluded to him doing it in less than a hitters' park, "And he did it in Seattle."
The Mariners could still sign Morales, 30, but by him turning down the offer, they will receive a draft choice should he sign elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you just like the other guy more sometimes than the one you have. I would take him back at say 3/$30. I think it is fair for both sides. If you can get him cheaper, then of course do it. Another thought he may end up doing is signing a one year deal with M's for less than qualifying with the agreement they won't tag him again making him an unrestricted free agent next year.

He also hit better at home last year which isn't something you see everyday with M's.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly now that Napoli re-signed, I am glad we didn't get him! Overrated in my opinion. Especially at $16Million/year.

If Seattle can get Morales or Hart for less money than Napoli (which they should easily) then it is a win for the Mariners. I think the value that either Morales or Hart provide for the Mariners would be more than what Napoli would provide for the money.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Morales and Cano in the middle of the lineup is pretty good.

I've been vocal about wanting to keep Morales for awhile.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly now that Napoli re-signed, I am glad we didn't get him! Overrated in my opinion. Especially at $16Million/year.

If Seattle can get Morales or Hart for less money than Napoli (which they should easily) then it is a win for the Mariners. I think the value that either Morales or Hart provide for the Mariners would be more than what Napoli would provide for the money.

I think Napoli was a big loss for us, but I agree a combo of Morales and Hart for about the same money works just fine as well.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you just like the other guy more sometimes than the one you have. I would take him back at say 3/$30. I think it is fair for both sides. If you can get him cheaper, then of course do it. Another thought he may end up doing is signing a one year deal with M's for less than qualifying with the agreement they won't tag him again making him an unrestricted free agent next year.

He also hit better at home last year which isn't something you see everyday with M's.

Morales is already unrestricted.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, here is my over the top prediction of the winter meetings:

We trade Miller/Paxton/Ramirez/Maurer/Franklin

for

Tulo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales is already unrestricted.

Not entirely. He has a 1st round bounty around his neck which teams are unlikely to give up for the pleasure of having a DH-only player.