• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is Harbaugh worth?

What is Harbaugh worth?

• Total voters

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh will not resign but will wait for Jed to fire him. He's not going to give back a single penny to the Niners. I think the teams will wait for him to be fired so they don't have to give any draft picks. If he is indeed traded, a team will probably give a 3rd round pick. I can't see any team parting with their 1st round pick. Just my opinion.

I agree. If what we have been reading about the rift between the front office and Harbaugh is true, then we should expect that Harbaugh hates the front office and that he will refuse to go along with any plan that will return draft picks to the Niners.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Jim Harbaugh turned this franchise around. Turned Alex Smith into an average qb, 3 NFC championship games. Probably one of top 5 coaches out there. I hope the niners hold out and make these other teams compete against each other for the best deal.

Harbaugh was the one that turned the Niners into a winning team, turning Alex Smith into a winning quarterback. Alex Smith had already been average as far as how he finished the 2010 season. Smith figured out his take with the defense gives you approach before Harbaugh came and he finished the season with a 10 touchdown to two interception finish in 2010.

San Francisco 49ers News ? Niner Insider Blog » Alex Smith Q&A: ?Just play quarterback the right way?

Harbaugh embraced Smith's approach possibly due to distrust in pushing the ball. Harbaugh was already conservative in Stanford, as he ran more than he passed with the college's best quarterback. Obviously, he would continue that with Smith. Kaepernick does well if we do that or the defense thinks we're going to run more.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is for 2 teams to be interested in Harbaugh.

Then we will definitely get draft picks for him.

I would guess there are more than 2 teams interested in Harbs. Would you trade a pick for the real possibility of getting a 1 year lame duck coach?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, I think you are missing the bigger picture.

that's possible, so go ahead and explain it?

IMO we WILL lose Harbaugh after this season, we might as well have strong interest and hence options. The more options (teams) we have the better. The more intense the bidding war, the more we get out of it. Obviously, Harbaugh won't want his new team give up too much, but are those negotiations REALLY his deal? He will not like the deal, but is it really him negotiating with the 49ers?

I do not believe in the theory he'll stay to "spite" the 49ers. That would make HIM and his family very unhappy, not to mention hurt his reputation for future employment. As it is, he's developed a reputation for 'rubbing' the FO, the wrong way.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deep9er;6054447[B said:
]that's possible, so go ahead and explain it?
[/B]
IMO we WILL lose Harbaugh after this season, we might as well have strong interest and hence options. The more options (teams) we have the better. The more intense the bidding war, the more we get out of it. Obviously, Harbaugh won't want his new team give up too much, but are those negotiations REALLY his deal? He will not like the deal, but is it really him negotiating with the 49ers?

I do not believe in the theory he'll stay to "spite" the 49ers. That would make HIM and his family very unhappy, not to mention hurt his reputation for future employment. As it is, he's developed a reputation for 'rubbing' the FO, the wrong way.

1st of all I am not trying to bust you.
Play this out for me...suggest a fair trade and be sure to name a trading partner(NFL team). It really doesn't matter who and it really doesn't matter how much for my illustration. Merely suggest a plausible trade that both sides might accept.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1st of all I am not trying to bust you.
Play this out for me...suggest a fair trade and be sure to name a trading partner(NFL team). It really doesn't matter who and it really doesn't matter how much for my illustration. Merely suggest a plausible trade that both sides might accept.

I know you're not 'busting' me, no worries. anyway, don't know what's a fair trade and the reason we want a bidding war....right?

But to 'play along' i'll throw this out..........the Raiders send their 2015 and 2016, 2nd round picks.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're not 'busting' me, no worries. anyway, don't know what's a fair trade and the reason we want a bidding war....right?

But to 'play along' i'll throw this out..........the Raiders send their 2015 and 2016, 2nd round picks.
Thanks for playing.
Ok, that is an excellent choice for a trade.
Let's say (for the sake of argument) that in no way would Harbs ever coach the Raiders. Let's say Harbs dislikes them with a passion and that he also dislikes the owner and GM.
The contract that Harbs is under is only valid for 2015 and since he hates (purely for illustration) Duh Raiduhs so much he must bide by the contract but elects to try the coaches FA market next year. Of course in this scenerio it is in Harbs best interest to do a great job for the year he is stuck in LA as it will further increase his value as a coach.

deep, in other words I offer that Harbs has very little value in the trade market because whoever trades for him might only get a year out of him.
Another thought would be a sign and trade but I don 't know why Harbs would do that. The only way he would do that is if the perfect coaching scenerio came about and the window would immediately close shut on the opportunity if Harbs passed it by. I do not see that happening though.
Harbs is in the drivers seat on this whole deal though. He is one year from choosing his next job and if he wants he gets a year off with about $5 million in severance pay to spend.
This is all under the assumption that SF will terminate/trade Harbs at the end of this season.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most can see the Niners getting Harbaugh is a 3rd or 4th rounder. Draft picks are just too valuable now compared to when Gruden was traded & the rules for trading coaches have changed. Plus his stock has taken a hit this season.

And ultimately, Harbaugh holds all the cards. If the Niners really want him gone & Harbaugh finds a team he wants to coach, there is nothing preventing him from doing a back door deal with the new team & forcing the Niners hand. Then the Niners would be forced to fire him & the new team could hire him without giving up compensation.

I just don't see any team willing to give up anything more than a mid/late round pick in this situation when they know they can just wait it out & not have to pay for him with draft picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for playing.
Let's say (for the sake of argument) that in no way would Harbs ever coach the Raiders. Let's say Harbs dislikes them with a passion and that he also dislikes the owner and GM.
The contract that Harbs is under is only valid for 2015 and since he hates (purely for illustration) Duh Raiduhs so much he must bide by the contract but elects to try the coaches FA market next year. Of course in this scenerio it is in Harbs best interest to do a great job for the year he is stuck in LA as it will further increase his value as a coach.

deep, in other words I offer that Harbs has very little value in the trade market because whoever trades for him might only get a year out of him.

Another thought would be a sign and trade but I don 't know why Harbs would do that. The only way he would do that is if the perfect coaching scenerio came about and the window would immediately close shut on the opportunity if Harbs passed it by. I do not see that happening though.
Harbs is in the drivers seat on this whole deal though. He is one year from choosing his next job and if he wants he gets a year off with about $5 million in severance pay to spend.
This is all under the assumption that SF will terminate/trade Harbs at the end of this season.

I agree with the 'concept' in bolden, that his next stop isn't long term. But don't agree with a 1 year period. Harbaugh has good value because the next team will have him at least 4 years. Don't see why the next team won't sign him for 5 years too, like the 49ers. If he leaves after one year, what signal does that send to other NFL teams, to college teams?

If you're the Raiders or Cleveland or Jacksonville, whoever perennial loser, you will take that 4 years because you've been losing for the last ten. They would kill for a winning season/play-off contender even if only his 3rd and 4th year.

Again, in my opinion Harbaugh will not stay just to spite the 49ers. If the situation is as bad as reported, he'll leave even if he's in "the drivers seat". Obviously, he'll do his best to get the best scenario for him and his new team, but in the end he'll leave. Staying will be one miserable year for HIM, his family, his Staff, and HIS players. Worse, it'll hurt his future prospects by showing he can get down to that level.

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting to see what happens here. It feels to me like there is a guy on his death bed listening to people who are talking in the same room about how to handle the funeral.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm still waiting to see what happens here. It feels to me like there is a guy on his death bed listening to people who are talking in the same room about how to handle the funeral.

yep, same with all of us.

hopefully they settle it early, one way or another.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got an ESPN update saying that Harbs is "considering the Michigan job" whatever that means...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for playing.

Another thought would be a sign and trade but I don 't know why Harbs would do that. The only way he would do that is if the perfect coaching scenerio came about and the window would immediately close shut on the opportunity if Harbs passed it by. I do not see that happening though. Harbs is in the drivers seat on this whole deal though. He is one year from choosing his next job and if he wants he gets a year off with about $5 million in severance pay to spend.

earlier, didn't address this part well........my opinion already assumes a sign and trade. Neither side wants 2015 just to finish out the contract.

If I'm Harbaugh why would i want another year of tension? I'd rather move on now and start my next rebuilding project. I'd rather move on and keep my coaching career in high gear. Why waste another year in SF, get my career heading down?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to beat a dead horse but there is no reason for Harbs to sign a contract extension that will help out the team that is firing him. The Michigan offer is a prime example why Harbs won't sign an extension which in turn makes his trade value essentially nil.
Least ways, that's how I see it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to beat a dead horse but there is no reason for Harbs to sign a contract extension that will help out the team that is firing him. The Michigan offer is a prime example why Harbs won't sign an extension which in turn makes his trade value essentially nil.

agree he will not sign an extension and continue coaching the 49ers.

obviously, if he signs with a COLLEGE team there is no trade value. But earlier we were discussing other NFL teams, and in that case there is.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well right now he is worth 48 million

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

now I'm beating a dead horse. :-)

if to another NFL team, I think this happens.........the 49ers give permission to other teams to negotiate with Harbaugh. Once Harbaugh is satisfied with someone, his new team negotiates with the 49ers. When all three parties are happy, they all execute the paperwork. So yes, don't think Harbaugh has to sign an extension with the 49ers.

If its as bad as reported, Harbaugh will not want to stay with the 49ers another year. He'll take the best situation on the table, whether NFL or college.