• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What in the holy hell is the LA Rams front office thinking?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what their scouts see.. If they feel he can be a franchise QB and pro-bowl caliber guy, then cool. I can't blame them for going for that. From what I hear that isn't there this year, but if they think they've got a Marino or Rodgers out there who everyone else is saying isn't an elite #1 overall prospect, then go for it.

In the past quarter century Rams have not had pro-bowl level QB play 20 of those years. 0 of those seasons did they finish above .500.

5 of those seasons they did have pro-bowl level QB play, 0 of those seasons did they finish below .500.

They need a franchise QB. They can draft all the talent in the world, and if they are getting the QB play they've seen the past decade out of those guys, there is no chance they will win consistently.

Very true. With the talent they have added from recent drafts (largely due to the extra 1sts from the Skins), they have a talented enough team (defense and Gurley) to consistently be out of range of drafting a top QB without making a trade like this. Having that extra 2nd rounder from the Eagles (thanks Chip!) makes this year the easier one to move up. Unfortunately, there isn't that can't-miss QB this year, but if there was, they wouldn't have enough pieces to trade up from 15 as they would have more competition to do so. The Rams gave up less draft capital to move up 14 spots than the Skins did to move up 4.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what their scouts see.. If they feel he can be a franchise QB and pro-bowl caliber guy, then cool. I can't blame them for going for that. From what I hear that isn't there this year, but if they think they've got a Marino or Rodgers out there who everyone else is saying isn't an elite #1 overall prospect, then go for it.

In the past quarter century Rams have not had pro-bowl level QB play 20 of those years. 0 of those seasons did they finish above .500.

5 of those seasons they did have pro-bowl level QB play, 0 of those seasons did they finish below .500.

They need a franchise QB. They can draft all the talent in the world, and if they are getting the QB play they've seen the past decade out of those guys, there is no chance they will win consistently.

I guess my issue is there isn't even a clear cut 1 and this isn't the 98 draft where both Manning and Leaf had HOF ability. It's just way to much to give up on projects. Goff could end up Brady like but by the time he is even ready to be "the guy" they will be in the new stadium.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my issue is there isn't even a clear cut 1 and this isn't the 98 draft where both Manning and Leaf had HOF ability. It's just way to much to give up on projects. Goff could end up Brady like but by the time he is even ready to be "the guy" they will be in the new stadium.
When there is a clear cut #1 like Peyton or Luck, no amount of draft choices or players would get the Colts to trade of out of the 1# spot. The only time you can trade up to #1 spot, is if the QBs have questionable NFL potential,even then it cost big time.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there is a clear cut #1 like Peyton or Luck, no amount of draft choices or players would get the Colts to trade of out of the 1# spot. The only time you can trade up to #1 spot, is if the QBs have questionable NFL potential,even then it cost big time.

See the 2004 NFL draft

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why I don't get given up this much. Neither QB is ready, nor do I think the Rams are the complete team who is one QB away. I can't really speak for Wentz but I can't understand giving up that much for Goff when they could give up much less and move up in the 2nd round to get Cook or another guy like him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it depends on how you rated Eli. I didn't consider Eli a no brainier sure fire QB, like Peyton or Luck myself.

...and even then, it was QB for QB and picks given Eli's temper tantrum about playing in San Diego. Not exactly your standard trade up for a QB deal.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I don't get given up this much. Neither QB is ready, nor do I think the Rams are the complete team who is one QB away. I can't really speak for Wentz but I can't understand giving up that much for Goff when they could give up much less and move up in the 2nd round to get Cook or another guy like him.

I don't see the rest of the guys being all that close to the top 2. Cook had a sub 60% completion percentage, a pretty consistent marker for a substandard QB prospect. Lynch is the closest, but not ready to run an NFL offense. The closest guy in that regard is probably Hogan, who unfortunately looks like he's throwing a javelin instead of a football.