• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What if this trade actually happened...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, this site would be a very different place to post.

Would be interesting to see how the opinions on these guys would vary for Laker and Cavs fans.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, this site would be a very different place to post.

Would be interesting to see how the opinions on these guys would vary for Laker and Cavs fans.

I would like Lebron more than I do. Not because he would have been a Laker, but because "The Decision" and the run of stupid that Lebron went on afterwards doesn't happen.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Lebron more than I do. Not because he would have been a Laker, but because "The Decision" and the run of stupid that Lebron went on afterwards doesn't happen.

Interesting...that didn't even pop into my mind.

Also, would the Howard, Nash, Chris Paul fiasco have happened?

Would Wade and Bosh have considered joining Bron in Lala land instead of all 3 signing in Miami?

.......I don't like that last question very much :boom:.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...that didn't even pop into my mind.

Also, would the Howard, Nash, Chris Paul fiasco have happened?

Would Wade and Bosh have considered joining Bron in Lala land instead of all 3 signing in Miami?

.......I don't like that last question very much :boom:.

I actually liked Lebron and pulled for the Cavs when he took them to the finals when he was there the first time. "The Decision" turned me off, but would have still liked him if not for the rest of the crap that followed.

For awhile there, it was like every time he did something distasteful/stupid and things started to quiet down a bit. He'd do something else to try and top it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article saying that Bryant wouldn't allow a trade to Cleveland and his 3 teams he preferred were San Antonio, Phoenix and Chicago in 2007 right before they brought Pau in. I remember PHX was somewhat close to a prime Nash-Kobe backcourt. My god… that would've been fun to watch.

Kobe Bryant Reveals Teams He Wanted To Be Traded To In 2007

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidenote: Former Suns GM Steve Kerr thought the draft day deal of Steph Curry (7th pick) and Andreis Biedrins (no idea if that's how you spell it) for Amare Stoudemire was complete before GS backed out last second.

KG also had PHX on the top of his trade list before he was dealt to Boston. The Kareem coin flip in 69', etc. Like I said… We. Are. Cursed.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article saying that Bryant wouldn't allow a trade to Cleveland and his 3 teams he preferred were San Antonio, Phoenix and Chicago in 2007 right before they brought Pau in. I remember PHX was somewhat close to a prime Nash-Kobe backcourt. My god… that would've been fun to watch.

Kobe Bryant Reveals Teams He Wanted To Be Traded To In 2007

Yeah it's in the same article. Interesting he had Phoenix in there. Not sure who they would have traded for Kobe but that team would have been a contender no doubt and fun to watch, like you said.

I'm sure they would have wanted Nash or Amare

"Phoenix is coached by Kobe Bryant's boyhood idol, and I have to believe he'd love to be paired with a great point guard. The Lakers might go for Amare Stoudemire, but it says here that he's a base-year compensation player which makes that tough, so L.A. would have to fall in love with a Shawn Marion (and, perhaps, Boris Diaw and picks?) package. If I were Mitch Kupchak calling, I'd ask for Steve Nash and change. (Phoenix fans trying to figure out some way to get this done.)"

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe fans would still be Kobe fans.

Lebron fans would still be Lebron fans.

World keeps on spinning...

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how even that early in his career the FO decisions regarding LBJ were already tainted in terms of them thinking he had already reached greatness status-to be slapped in the face by him leaving once he entered his prime and winning in another city with a different team.

Following that season Kobe made it to the Finals the next 3 consecutive seasons, winning twice. Clearly, that wasn't the correct decision-which really doesn't matter because Kobe was smarter than most with the power to truly pick his destiny because of the no-trade clause.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how even that early in his career the FO decisions regarding LBJ were already tainted in terms of them thinking he had already reached greatness status-to be slapped in the face by him leaving once he entered his prime and winning in another city with a different team.

Following that season Kobe made it to the Finals the next 3 consecutive seasons, winning twice. Clearly, that wasn't the correct decision-which really doesn't matter because Kobe was smarter than most with the power to truly pick his destiny because of the no-trade clause.

Players on their rookie contracts, like Lebron, don't have no-trade clauses.

Anyone in their right mind knew Lebron was great from the start. That's never been a question. The FO did have a player who had reached greatness. He just chose to leave.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players on their rookie contracts, like Lebron, don't have no-trade clauses.

Anyone in their right mind knew Lebron was great from the start. That's never been a question. The FO did have a player who had reached greatness. He just chose to leave.
Yes, I'm know that rookies can't have no-trade clauses-and also know they weren't very commen back then.
But my point wasn't the fact he didn't have a no-trade clause. My comment was from a perspective of Kobe having the control in his OWN contract to decline that trade which has zero to do with LBJ's options.

And you kinda missed my point about him being great & leaving & how they tied together. Basically I was saying they were so far up his butt to realize there were better options out there than him at that time (hence the line of how Kobe went to 3 consecutive Finals winning two-back to back) -and how funny it was that he didn't show the same patience in terms of growth and bolted to Miami. I could go on to about his disasterous "Decision" on national TV but I think most get the point.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm know that rookies can't have no-trade clauses-and also know they weren't very commen back then.
But my point wasn't the fact he didn't have a no-trade clause. My comment was from a perspective of Kobe having the control in his OWN contract to decline that trade which has zero to do with LBJ's options.

And you kinda missed my point about him being great & leaving & how they tied together. Basically I was saying they were so far up his butt to realize there were better options out there than him at that time (hence the line of how Kobe went to 3 consecutive Finals winning two-back to back) -and how funny it was that he didn't show the same patience in terms of growth and bolted to Miami. I could go on to about his disasterous "Decision" on national TV but I think most get the point.

Better options? Maybe I'm not understanding this, but better options than Lebron, or in terms or putting a team around him? Just trying to understand how Cleveland's FO messed up here? If you want to fault Lebron I would 100% agree with you. But from a franchise standpoint what Lebron did was unpredictable to say the least.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's in the same article. Interesting he had Phoenix in there. Not sure who they would have traded for Kobe but that team would have been a contender no doubt and fun to watch, like you said.

I'm sure they would have wanted Nash or Amare

"Phoenix is coached by Kobe Bryant's boyhood idol, and I have to believe he'd love to be paired with a great point guard. The Lakers might go for Amare Stoudemire, but it says here that he's a base-year compensation player which makes that tough, so L.A. would have to fall in love with a Shawn Marion (and, perhaps, Boris Diaw and picks?) package. If I were Mitch Kupchak calling, I'd ask for Steve Nash and change. (Phoenix fans trying to figure out some way to get this done.)"

Yeah, I'm assuming it would've been Amare+expiring contracts to match salaries & picks or something of that sort.

Damn, could you even imagine Kobe with Pop and the cast of players that were there?

I'm not sure that would be a great fit or make them any better unless Kobe took on a slightly smaller role which at that time, there's no way he would willingly do that. Pop's system is more team oriented and he likes to have a balanced attack with the ball moving. Obviously, if anyone could make it work it would be Pop, but I'm not sure they'd be THAT much more successful with him than the core they had.

Plus, you have to factor in what they'd have to give up to acquire him. Would've lead to them probably not trading for Kawhi in a domino effect.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidenote: Former Suns GM Steve Kerr thought the draft day deal of Steph Curry (7th pick) and Andreis Biedrins (no idea if that's how you spell it) for Amare Stoudemire was complete before GS backed out last second.

KG also had PHX on the top of his trade list before he was dealt to Boston. The Kareem coin flip in 69', etc. Like I said… We. Are. Cursed.

Gotta admit I was all-in on Amare too. I previously really wanted KG in 2008 when the rumors were flying around the Draft that the Warriors were positioning themselves to get him.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better options? Maybe I'm not understanding this, but better options than Lebron, or in terms or putting a team around him? Just trying to understand how Cleveland's FO messed up here? If you want to fault Lebron I would 100% agree with you. But from a franchise standpoint what Lebron did was unpredictable to say the least.
Yes again, you've misunderstood.
AT THE TIME KOBE WAS THE BETTER OPTION-clearly stated by his accomplishments that immediately followed in comparison to LBJ's lack of winning at that time.