• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What happens to the Bills vs. Bengals game?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t know it was a birth right to rest starters. And for the record, the AFC North is garbage this year. The Browns and Steelers are rebuilding. The Ravens were blowing leads and now have an offense built around damaged goods at QB.
Speaking of the AFC North, how in the hell is Mike Tomlin in a position to grift another 7 seed this year? Skylar Thompson led Dolphins against the Jets defense and the Patriots against the Bills?

Mike Tomlin might be a warlock.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite obviously he doesn't like the Bengals or care. It is alright. Most Philly fans have been pretty understanding of the situation actually. I knew it was going to be a shit show, but I don't care as long as the Chiefs win. If they don't win, I am going to be pissed off.
Can't blame you there. Should be a win tomorrow...

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the AFC North, how in the hell is Mike Tomlin in a position to grift another 7 seed this year? Skylar Thompson led Dolphins against the Jets defense and the Patriots against the Bills?
Tomlin has that good Juju (despite him being in KC now).

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t know it was a birth right to rest starters. And for the record, the AFC North is garbage this year. The Browns and Steelers are rebuilding. The Ravens were blowing leads and now have an offense built around damaged goods at QB.
I would still match the AFC North against the NFC East any day. The NFC East had the luxury of playing the AFC South and NFC South this year, two worst divisions in football. We may very well have three teams with winning records by the end of this weekend, one of which was a potential #1 seed up until yesterday with one of the toughest schedules in the NFL with 7 home games, 9 on the road.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big issue here is precedent. The league is very clear that rules can only be changed during the offseason or else they may potentially introduce bias that will favor one club over another. The league actually has precedent on the books for this scenario. When preparing for the potential of missed games due to COVID, the league ruled that they would use win % to determine standings. It's not a perfect scenario, but that's what they should stick to in this case. Instead, they are making up arbitrary rules that show a degree of favoritism to one team over another.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the funny thing - I think ALL of us operated under the assumption there wasn't a rule already in place for a cancelled game.

There is! The NFL is deciding to CHANGE the rule mid-season......The rule clearly spells out that in the event of a game not being played to completion - the standings are calculated by % based on each teams games played. Now the NFL wants to change that and introduce a coin-flip.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that the NFL is going to get pushback on this - there is a rule in place, and even a rule about when rules can change....

I was good with CIN getting screwed (rough word since it's no ones fault) out of any potential #1 or #2 seed, but changing the rule here to a coin flip because....well, Roger gonna Roger, does not sit well with me at all.

CIN wins North.

Cin hosts 1st round game.

End. of. Story.

Those are the rules on the books - NFL needs to follow them. If they want to change them in the off-season, then fine. However, they are not unilaterally allowed to change rules in place mid-season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that the NFL is going to get pushback on this - there is a rule in place, and even a rule about when rules can change....

I was good with CIN getting screwed (rough word since it's no ones fault) out of any potential #1 or #2 seed, but changing the rule here to a coin flip because....well, Roger gonna Roger, does not sit well with me at all.

CIN wins North.

End. of. Story.

Those are the rules on the books - NFL needs to follow them. If they want to change them in the off-season, then fine. However, they are not unilaterally allowed to change rules in place mid-season.

I get the frustration... at least make it a two man potato sack race (shout out to Baseketball) or SOMETHING. COIN FLIP!? PFFFFFFFFT!

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still match the AFC North against the NFC East any day. The NFC East had the luxury of playing the AFC South and NFC South this year, two worst divisions in football. We may very well have three teams with winning records by the end of this weekend, one of which was a potential #1 seed up until yesterday with one of the toughest schedules in the NFL with 7 home games, 9 on the road.
Opinions are great because everybody has one. The Redskins and Giants are rebuilding much like the Browns and Steelers and yet have performed better. The Eagles actually are the number one seed and the Cowboys are better than the Ravens.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CIN wins North.

End. of. Story.

Actually if you look at the wording of NFL rules the commissioner has wide latitude to make these changes if circumstance presents them and the competition committee and owners back the change.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if you look at the wording of NFL rules the commissioner has wide latitude to make these changes if circumstance presents them and the competition committee and owners back the change.
Technically. Just like *technically* Goodell could galaxy brain himself into believing the Bills refused to play the game and therefore should forfeit. It's more a question if it is wise/fair/morally allowable to do that.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions are great because everybody has one. The Redskins and Giants are rebuilding much like the Browns and Steelers and yet have performed better. The Eagles actually are the number one seed and the Cowboys are better than the Ravens.
I would argue the Cowboys are better than the Eagles. But that is neither here nor there. Ignore the fact the East played both South divisions. You can only play the schedule you are given, not faulting you there, but don't inflate your teams ability on record alone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue the Cowboys are better than the Eagles. But that is neither here nor there. Ignore the fact the East played both South divisions. You can only play the schedule you are given, not faulting you there, but don't inflate your teams ability on record alone.
The Eagles are tied for the Chiefs in leading the NFL in net yards per play. The Eagles definitely aren't a creation of schedule, circumstance, or something flukey, imo. They're just elite. Cowboys and 49ers are also in the same neighborhood.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically. Just like *technically* Goodell could galaxy brain himself into believing the Bills refused to play the game and therefore should forfeit. It's more a question if it is wise/fair/morally allowable to do that.
Sure. That’s always a question. I was merely pointing out that the contract and rules are written favorably to protect the league during circumstances like these to do as they damn well please.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect. Rules state that a rule in place may NOT be changed.

I operated under the assumption (incorrectly) that there wasn't something already in place. I think most of us did.

There is. And Roger, for all the latitude he has, does NOT have the authority to change a standing rule in the middle of the season.