• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the Raiders do?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say San Diego. They have a well known zoo. Raider fans should fit right in.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said an NFL stadium had to be a palace. The Raiders could take that extra $100 million, combine with the $200 million from the G4 loan and the $500 million Davis claims he can spend and build a pretty decent stadium for 800 million. Would be no frills, not top tier, but light years ahead of what he has.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this because the cowboys and texans aren't great? or is it just a refusal to associate with Houston and dallas?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said an NFL stadium had to be a palace. The Raiders could take that extra $100 million, combine with the $200 million from the G4 loan and the $500 million Davis claims he can spend and build a pretty decent stadium for 800 million. Would be no frills, not top tier, but light years ahead of what he has.

This!

Actually 800 mil will build a pretty nice open air stadium...domes really drive up the cost and out there you don't need a dome.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do the Raiders do?

Unfortunately, lose.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really question if he has $500 million to spend on a stadium. His financial situation isn't that great which is why they struggle to land some of the top FA's even though they have some of the top cap space in the NFL. They don't have the cash flow that many of the other owners have. So then you throw in them having $500 million going towards a stadium plus having to pay back the loan and I am just having a hard time seeing how they make that work financially. My guess is he would have to take on a partner. Kind of like Disney was going to help with the cost of the Carson location he would need to find a major sponsor that maybe has naming rights to the stadium or something.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really question if he has $500 million to spend on a stadium. His financial situation isn't that great which is why they struggle to land some of the top FA's even though they have some of the top cap space in the NFL. They don't have the cash flow that many of the other owners have. So then you throw in them having $500 million going towards a stadium plus having to pay back the loan and I am just having a hard time seeing how they make that work financially. My guess is he would have to take on a partner. Kind of like Disney was going to help with the cost of the Carson location he would need to find a major sponsor that maybe has naming rights to the stadium or something.
I question the cash flow too.

Another thought: popular thinking is that a baseball/football stadium couldn't work. If done right with modular seating and field turf I think it could, plus that would throw some of the A's money in the mix.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question the cash flow too.

Another thought: popular thinking is that a baseball/football stadium couldn't work. If done right with modular seating and field turf I think it could, plus that would throw some of the A's money in the mix.

Now I honestly could see this being a possibility. The Athletics owner is worth over 3 times that of Mark Davis right now so money wise he could definitely help. Then the fact that they can split maintenance costs would be huge for both. You might be on to something here.

Now I will say listening to Mark Davis' interview after the Owner's meetings it sounds like he still doesn't plan on the team being in Oakland. He pretty much said the entire country is open to where the Raiders could go so I think he is hoping that some city like San Antonio or now that St. Louis is open and the city already showed they wanted to keep the team maybe them but they come to him and say "here is how much money we can help you out with." He has already asked the NFL to waive any fees for moving cities if that is what he has to do so I could definitely still see them relocating to another city. I would put it at 50/50 that the Raiders in 2017 are still in Oakland.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move to London???

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sound like he needs to sell...the business environment is changing when it comes to getting public financing to build stadiums...most munis now want the owner to have a major stake in it. Or seek a biz partner as you mentioned.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound like he needs to sell...the business environment is changing when it comes to getting public financing to build stadiums...most munis now want the owner to have a major stake in it. Or seek a biz partner as you mentioned.

The problem with finding a business partner right now is the fact that the Raiders have burned some major bridges with the city. I remember when the Broncos got a new stadium they had partners lining up around the block for the chance to have their name on the stadium. Denver though is all about the Broncos. Oakland right now just doesn't seem to care whether the team stays or goes. It is why I think Mark Davis would find other cities a little more welcoming right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with finding a business partner right now is the fact that the Raiders have burned some major bridges with the city. I remember when the Broncos got a new stadium they had partners lining up around the block for the chance to have their name on the stadium. Denver though is all about the Broncos. Oakland right now just doesn't seem to care whether the team stays or goes. It is why I think Mark Davis would find other cities a little more welcoming right now.

Can you blame OAK? They left once already and Davis has been fairly transparent about his desire to move again. If I'm a potential host city, he has to come out of pocket pretty heavily before I break ground on anything. I have family on No Cal...45 to an hr from OAK and having been there a few times myself...truthfully, he should have never come back.

The Davis family have long complained about OAK-Alameda, and rightfully so, it truly is a dump, but they have wanted somebody else to fund a new venue. That's why I say he should sell the team to someone that can fund the lion share of it. Cities have gotten smarter over the last 20 yrs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you blame OAK? They left once already and Davis has been fairly transparent about his desire to move again. If I'm a potential host city, he has to come out of pocket pretty heavily before I break ground on anything. I have family on No Cal...45 to an hr from OAK and having been there a few times myself...truthfully, he should have never come back.

The Davis family have long complained about OAK-Alameda, and rightfully so, it truly is a dump, but they have wanted somebody else to fund a new venue. That's why I say he should sell the team to someone that can fund the lion share of it. Cities have gotten smarter over the last 20 yrs.

Oh I agree. The Davis family has not treated their fans all that well. There always seems to be that threat of "We will move the team." He has really isolated the fans and honestly the other owners. From what I understand the Carson project was the one that was more recommended but the other owners didn't want to give Mark Davis the satisfaction of having won a new stadium. The whole his father suing the other owners back in the day still doesn't sit well from what I understand. So I really do think they are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Selling the team honestly does make sense.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but he'll wait until he sees what the Chargers do to consider it. I get the idea that the owners may be trying to push him out of the league. He was definitely the owner with the biggest need and got the least help. That ownership group doesn't want owners that are looking to be taken care of. They want owners like Kroenke that are willing to spend billions to make billions, with a share of those billions lining each owner's pocket.