• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What current or future NFL players are worth 2 first rounders?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rofl hahaha lol

palmer is done and has been since his injury a couple years ago. his numbers took a complete 180 and u could see it in his play. i'm surprised al davis hasn't come back from the dead to fire someone

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from who's point of view, the Raiders or Bengals?

The Banglels can't use their 2012 first rounder until 2012

The Bangels can't use their conditional 2013 first rounder until 2013

The Raiders can't use Carson Palmer until... now

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Banglels can't use their 2012 first rounder until 2012

The Bangels can't use their conditional 2013 first rounder until 2013

The Raiders can't use Carson Palmer until... now

first, appreciate the responses and not trying to make an argument. but let me TRY to focus it down.

it looks like the reference point is this year, not next. cause if it was next year, the Raiders 1st rounder would be worth a 1st rounder. so looking at everything this year:

from the Raiders viewpoint their 2012 1st is worth a 2nd because they get to use Palmer rest of this season.

from the Bengals standpoint viewpoint what do they get this year? a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to sum up the trade. the raiders paid a high price for cincy's garbage. pre-injury palmer would be worth a couple firsts, but at this point he shoulda been a june cap casualty pick up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tom Brady?
Andew Luck?
Peyton Manning?

Brady or Manning at age 31 are worth 5 first rounders. I think I'll have the same to say about Luck in 10 years.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
first, appreciate the responses and not trying to make an argument. but let me TRY to focus it down.

it looks like the reference point is this year, not next. cause if it was next year, the Raiders 1st rounder would be worth a 1st rounder. so looking at everything this year:

from the Raiders viewpoint their 2012 1st is worth a 2nd because they get to use Palmer rest of this season.

from the Bengals standpoint viewpoint what do they get this year? a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder?

If you figure Palmer will take two weeks before he can contribute, you get him for half this year. So let's just simplify and say you're getting a player for half the year.

From Bangels standpoint, you're only losing half a year for the 2012 1st based on what you got back, and a year and a half for the 2013 pick.

So in this case I'd say it balances out because both sides are losing about half a year.

Now if Palmer was traded after the draft and before the season, then there should justifiably be that discount for that next year's pick. I'm not sure if teams look at it that way... but they really should.

One other reason for discounting future draft picks is uncertainty of the draft slot. When the 49ers traded with Carolina, they thought they were getting a good deal because of Carolina's schedule. It turned out to be a mid-round pick. That uncertainty is probably factored into the value chart numbers. It turns one of our picks into a NE top 10 pick. I don't think there's a coincidence NE trades with the Raiders because of this.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cincy didn't lose anything. palmer wasn't playing and they were gonna let him rot until the raiders did the most idiotic trade ever

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This was a good trade for the Raiders IMO. Just like the Richard Seymour trade was a good one for 'em (like I said from the beginning). People gave 'em crap for that move, but they actually hosed the Pats on that one. I think this wasn't a "hosing" because Palmer was never gonna go back to Cinci', but it was still worth those picks to get a QB who's 5 times better than Campbell.

Off topic, but if the Pats didn't trade Seymour I think they might've won another SB that year.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
cincy didn't lose anything. palmer wasn't playing and they were gonna let him rot until the raiders did the most idiotic trade ever

Could the Raiders have gotten him for less?
I am not saying that they got good value but if this is the guy they wanted they might not have been able to get him for less.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Time will tell. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get a QB. The world's ending in 2012 so good for them. If the world doesn't end in 2012, Bangels should come out like bandits.

famugrad05

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Current player is Brady or Rodgers Future player is Luck but aye to each its own if Palmer takes them two the playoffs the next two years or more it was worth it imho

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it's current NFL players...

Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Mathew Stafford

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rodgers,ware,calvin johnson,peterson,romo,fitzgerald,brady,mathews,bradford,mccoy(colt and lesean),rivers,mjd,brees,stafford and more....it just depends on teams needs and if they want to win now or build for future

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rodgers,ware,calvin johnson,peterson,romo,fitzgerald,brady,mathews,bradford,mccoy(colt and lesean),rivers,mjd,brees,stafford and more....it just depends on teams needs and if they want to win now or build for future

Or win never??

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think colt has looked pretty good up in cleveland and with qb's being so hard to find i would guess it will take two 1st round picks to get a good young one.....hell add cam to my list also

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you figure Palmer will take two weeks before he can contribute, you get him for half this year. So let's just simplify and say you're getting a player for half the year.

From Bangels standpoint, you're only losing half a year for the 2012 1st based on what you got back, and a year and a half for the 2013 pick.

So in this case I'd say it balances out because both sides are losing about half a year.

Now if Palmer was traded after the draft and before the season, then there should justifiably be that discount for that next year's pick. I'm not sure if teams look at it that way... but they really should.

One other reason for discounting future draft picks is uncertainty of the draft slot. When the 49ers traded with Carolina, they thought they were getting a good deal because of Carolina's schedule. It turned out to be a mid-round pick. That uncertainty is probably factored into the value chart numbers. It turns one of our picks into a NE top 10 pick. I don't think there's a coincidence NE trades with the Raiders because of this.

so the Bengals got a pick right smack dab in the "middle" of round 1 and round 2? they got a pick in round 1-1/2?

again, not trying to argue or be sarcastic, but whenever i see this "discount", don't quite get it? it depends on the year and the team and apparently i'm choosing the wrong year and team?

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so the Bengals got a pick right smack dab in the "middle" of round 1 and round 2? they got a pick in round 1-1/2?

again, not trying to argue or be sarcastic, but whenever i see this "discount", don't quite get it? it depends on the year and the team and apparently i'm choosing the wrong year and team?

I get where you're coming from. Overall, I definitely think a discount is justified because time is a factor. I'm not sure if a full round discount is really warranted for one year. It becomes a philosophical question of where to draw the line.

If this whole thing is out of whack, a good long term strategy would be to trade your current picks for higher round picks in the future. The Patriots routinely follow this type of strategy. Most teams don't and that could be a function of a short term mentality to keep their jobs.

This partial year trade scenario that you brought is really hard to answer. I'm not sure how each team discount those picks. I did point out lost time should be factored in for both teams.

On another note, we just had an earthquake in SF!