• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What am I missing about Clemson?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is that "media market"? I am looking at a map, it doesn't look like any big cities are remotely close to Clemson. Is that market like including Atlanta and Greensville? The entire state of South Carolina? Don't see how it can be seen as that large of a market.

It's Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville. That's the metropolitan region as designated by the US Census and by the "tv markets" people.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a buck-toothed, backwoods, cousin-fucking cretin could refer to Greenville as “city life.”

“But they’ve got an Applebee’s!”

GTFO.

It's certainly no Columbus

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot damn....this sounds like the Texas - A&M feud.

ceptin you two still play each other every year

It's extremely hot in-state. People have died...

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a dog in this fight, but having a large population has never been much of a criteria for success, thus the name 'college town'.

Some other examples from places I have spend time in:

Georgia - Do you thing much would be happening in Athens if the university was not there?
Florida - Gainesville is not exactly what I would call a metropolis.
Alabama - Like Georgia, Tuscaloosa is just another small town without the university influence.
etc.
etc.

If large population centers were the key to recruiting and success then schools like Houston, Georgia Tech, Miami, etc should be doing a lot better.

Flawed argument.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly no Columbus

With less than a tenth of the population of Columbus, I’d agree, but I wasn’t comparing cities, I was just laughing at the idea of a town of 70k being considered “city life.”

“We’ve even got a dozen cabs! Usta be fifteen until Jethro started driving his Uber mobile.”

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted in another thread this morning, another poster asked a similar questions as to why Clemson can build a national championship program but places like Minnesota cannot, despite having won 8 Natties in their history.

The bottom line is that Clemson sits in a rich, rich recruiting field and they play in a basketball league. Kids are smart enough to figure this out: they have a better chance of dominating the ACC at Clemson than dominating the SEC at South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, or even Florida.

All they had to do was start winning their division, winning a few conference titles, and then raking in the better recruiting classes. I'm sure Dabo has a lot to do with it, clearly the man can coach and motivate (curse his hide)

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Carolinas produce a decent amount of top talent, as does Georgia, and Dabo has proven to be able to get kids from all over to play there. Having a winning reputation goes a long ways.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is that "media market"? I am looking at a map, it doesn't look like any big cities are remotely close to Clemson. Is that market like including Atlanta and Greensville? The entire state of South Carolina? Don't see how it can be seen as that large of a market.

The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson market includes Clemson. As it should.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there June/July 94. The military became pussies then. We had heat index and a lot of modified training so and multiple mandatory water breaks. Lol.

But damn victory tower was fun

My favorite day of my entire military career!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville. That's the metropolitan region as designated by the US Census and by the "tv markets" people.
Asheville to Greenville-Spartanburg ain't far apart by our West Texas standards. But, I was led to believe that the Eastern half of the country thinks 50 miles is real far apart! Hell, even those sissies over in East Texas think traveling 70 miles for a football game is a long trip!

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenville, 70k people = “city life”

Shut the fuck up, Opie.

That's just within the actual city limits dumbass. The I-85 corridor from pretty much Spartanburg to Anderson is one big urban metro area made up of multiple cities, towns, and unincorporated areas.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a dog in this fight, but having a large population has never been much of a criteria for success, thus the name 'college town'.

Some other examples from places I have spend time in:

Georgia - Do you thing much would be happening in Athens if the university was not there?
Florida - Gainesville is not exactly what I would call a metropolis.
Alabama - Like Georgia, Tuscaloosa is just another small town without the university influence.
etc.
etc.

If large population centers were the key to recruiting and success then schools like Houston, Georgia Tech, Miami, etc should be doing a lot better.

Flawed argument.
I'll see you and raise you Bryan-College Station.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite day of my entire military career!

my favorite story was that we had a recruit. his last name was seriously Putzer

2 days before the gas chamber - Private putzer decided to tell a drill sergeant to fuck off. it was nice having someone open and close the door for us that day.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted in another thread this morning, another poster asked a similar questions as to why Clemson can build a national championship program but places like Minnesota cannot, despite having won 8 Natties in their history.

The bottom line is that Clemson sits in a rich, rich recruiting field and they play in a basketball league. Kids are smart enough to figure this out: they have a better chance of dominating the ACC at Clemson than dominating the SEC at South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, or even Florida.

All they had to do was start winning their division, winning a few conference titles, and then raking in the better recruiting classes. I'm sure Dabo has a lot to do with it, clearly the man can coach and motivate (curse his hide)
Hmmm, good point. Top dog on a totem pole or lower dog on another.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(a) Live PD was also in Greenville County for a couple of seasons. There's plenty of crime there.

(b) It's hot in Columbia in summer, yes. The old phrase is "there's nothing between Columbia and hell but a screen door". Doesn't stop me from running 4-5 miles in the heat, though. Just gotta not be a bitch, looks like some of you figured that out the hard way.

(c) Yes, Ben "Pitchfork" Tillman was one of the founders of Tater U. And you should look around to see where he got the nickname "pitchfork".

(d) To answer OP's question, Dabo Swinney. You have to give credit where credit is due. DS was actually a very successful commercial real estate salesman in Alabama. He helped launch some chains that have expanded since. Like a lot of guys I know who are good in sales, he came from a (more-or-less) poor background, is driven by the need not to return to it. He has a mix of abilities to sell the program, organize the improvement of their facilities, create the "all-in" commitment from his players. He's made good hires, especially Morris and Venables.

It doesn't mean I like the guy (I don't), or that I don't think they're encouraging steroid use and some behind-the-scenes compensation. Just that Swinney is creating a prototype for building a program.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite story was that we had a recruit. his last name was seriously Putzer

2 days before the gas chamber - Private putzer decided to tell a drill sergeant to fuck off. it was nice having someone open and close the door for us that day.

He did what?

Shit, Drill Sergeant Mack would have made him eat his teeth! Drill Sergeant Massenberg too. 5'2 black female drill sergeant. You know she had to be a bad mo fo to be a black female and go through drill sergeant training in the 80s.

I would never have back-talked that woman!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, good point. Top dog on a totem pole or lower dog on another.

Some people make a mistake in thinking that just being in a powerful conference is the only way to pull in the recruits.
South Carolina competes with Clemson for the same kids, but then they have to play Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, A&M, and occasionally LSU and BAMA...shit, we can't even beat MISSOURI half the time. Kids that go to Clemson get to play 7 versions of Kansas

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(d) To answer OP's question, Dabo Swinney. You have to give credit where credit is due. DS was actually a very successful commercial real estate salesman in Alabama. He helped launch some chains that have expanded since. Like a lot of guys I know who are good in sales, he came from a (more-or-less) poor background, is driven by the need not to return to it. He has a mix of abilities to sell the program, organize the improvement of their facilities, create the "all-in" commitment from his players. He's made good hires, especially Morris and Venables.

Agree.

I don't WANT to like the guy, but I do