• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What am I missing about Clemson?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is that "media market"? I am looking at a map, it doesn't look like any big cities are remotely close to Clemson. Is that market like including Atlanta and Greensville? The entire state of South Carolina? Don't see how it can be seen as that large of a market.

Greenville is a little over a half hour away. Close enough for the kids who like the city life but far enough away from those who want the small town college experience.

And based upon the way that Clemson was founded and the fact that it's the Ag school in the state Clemson draws all over the state.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenville is a little over a half hour away. Close enough for the kids who like the city life but far enough away from those who want the small town college experience.

And based upon the way that Clemson was founded and the fact that it's the Ag school in the state Clemson draws all over the state.
so this media market you cite is the entire state of South Carolina?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did basic training at Fort Jackson in August/September of 1985.

So I will tell you....

it damn sure ain't the weather!

I, too, did basic at Jackson, November '02-February '03. Fuckin' sucked.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did basic training at Fort Jackson in August/September of 1985.

So I will tell you....

it damn sure ain't the weather!

I, too, did basic at Jackson, November '02-February '03. Fuckin' sucked.

Columbia, SC is the 8th level of hell. Not only is it always so hot and where the state government is centered it's where the University of South Carolina is located. Columbia did finally find something to be famous for, as one of the centerpieces of Live PD. Perfect fit for that crime-ridden shithole of a city.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbia, SC is the 8th level of hell. Not only is it always so hot and where the state government is centered it's where the University of South Carolina is located. Columbia did finally find something to be famous for, as one of the centerpieces of Live PD. Perfect fit for that crime-ridden shithole of a city.
yeah, i remember on "family day" right before we graduated, i got a chance to go off-post with my mom and pops into columbia, went out to dinner, and i remember being not-so-impressed by what i saw lol

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do remember as part of Fort Jackson, every Sunday we got to read the newspaper. And it was football season.

And the whole sports section was Gamecocks, Gamecocks, Gamecocks.

I have hated that team since 1985 just for that alone.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can recruit the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia and Florida on the east coast and those areas produce a ton of talent. Deshaun Watson from Georgia, Sammy Watkins from Florida, Martavis Bryant and DeAndre Hopkins from in-state. Once they won with them then it became easier to recruit nationally.

Up until about 10 years ago I thought us and Clemson were similar programs but Dabo took them to the next level. I’m optimistic Morris can follow a similar model and recruit us up a notch but there is a little more competition for talent in our region than there is there, plus a tougher division.

If it was all about a popular location then UCLA would be a powerhouse. Would anyone know where Tuscaloosa is if not for the Crimson Tide? Can say that about a lot of places.

jackrabbit slim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to sound like I am taking a jab at Clemson, but am I missing something here? Dabo has built them into a juggernaut machine, but how? He consistently gets top rated recruiting classes and brings in top talent.

It's Clemson, South Carolina. Anyone seen where Clemson is located? It's in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina...Also, the town is like 14,000 population, which I am sure is basically the entire university. You always hear about some jobs being tough because of location. Well, Clemson is a proven rebuttal to any of those arguments. It's in the middle of nowhere in a town not much larger than a village.

They are also in the ACC, I could see if they were in the SEC how they may be able to use their conference pull to get some talent much like Ole Miss or Miss State does, but they are in the ACC..Which seemingly is a conference that can only sustain one power program. If it isn't just an overall mediocre conference at best, it can only prop up one true power program. Seems lately if it isn't Florida State it's Clemson or vice versa.

And it isn't like Clemson is padding itself in a weak conference, they are getting top talented players and can hold their own on the national stage, even knocking off Alabama once and each time putting up big close fights.

So am I missing something? Am I googling the wrong Clemson, South Carolina? Or the wrong Clemson University?
All you need to know about Clemson university and it's founder, Ben Tillman is the Hamburg Massacre. If you need an overview, here you go ......Hamburg massacre - Wikipedia
also, Clemson was built in the whitest part of SC by design.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson sits in the middle of the #38 media market in the United States. For comparison, Eugene, Oregon is #123. Clemson is far from "the middle of nowhere"

tenor.gif

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, i remember on "family day" right before we graduated, i got a chance to go off-post with my mom and pops into columbia, went out to dinner, and i remember being not-so-impressed by what i saw lol

My oldest son said that when he got to Ft Bliss after AIT his First Sgt asked him if he could handle the heat. When he said "I think so, I'm from South Carolina" the First Sgt said "Well I was at Ft Jackson for a year and it felt hotter than it's ever felt here. You'll do fine." LOL

I know that when I took a trench rescue class for the FD that was held near Columbia it was in an old sand pit. It was September, 98 degrees with 60% humidity and no wind. By the time that week was over my uniforms didn't fit for about two weeks.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true...true..but Oklahoma was primarily built when the entire landscape of college football towns were mostly small town and bare. In that the Sooners built a traditional power and kept that success going. Clemson just popped up within the decade.

1981 anyone?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My oldest son said that when he got to Ft Bliss after AIT his First Sgt asked him if he could handle the heat. When he said "I think so, I'm from South Carolina" the First Sgt said "Well I was at Ft Jackson for a year and it felt hotter than it's ever felt here. You'll do fine." LOL

I know that when I took a trench rescue class for the FD that was held near Columbia it was in an old sand pit. It was September, 98 degrees with 60% humidity and no wind. By the time that week was over my uniforms didn't fit for about two weeks.

yeah, as much as it sucked during my time there in the winter (a lot of cold, rainy days at the range and ruck marching), i'm glad i did it at that time, as opposed to summer

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is a nice town and beautiful campus.

Clemson is close enough to Atlanta to get away for a quick weekend.

Clemson is a historical ACC Football Power with double digit ACC Championships and a National Champion before Dabo ever stepped on Campus.

Tiger paws are cute.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Between Columbia and Pasco County Florida for "best" locations on that show...