• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Western Conference Finals: OKC Thunder VS Golden State Warriors

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the guy who said he was going to quit watching basketball because the refs were really, really mean to his Warriors.

I did not miss the fact that he was also a Mariners and Seahawks fan. Thinest skinned fanbase in sports.

Lol don't get me started on Seahawks fans

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol don't get me started on Seahawks fans

Early in my SportsHoopla career, I stumbled into the Mariners board, a thread about Corey Kluber winning the 2014 Cy Young over Felix Hernandez. They were pissing and moaning about it.

I ran down the stats and said something like, "I would probably have picked Felix Hernandez, so I can understand why Mariners fans might be butthurt," which is a fairly benign statement in my opinion. I even acknowledged that I thought maybe Hernandez should have won it.

With the way they reacted, you'd have thought I'd walked into these guys' homes, shit on their kitchen tables, called their mothers whores, ate their wives' pussies, then punched them in the eyes. I'd never seen anything like it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. When talking about their 73 wins (assuming they don't win the title), everyone will just bring up how they broke the record but got their ass handed to them in the playoffs and couldn't even make the finals
See....this just doesnt work for me. I get your point- i think their are some merits to your point....

but regardless if the Warriors win or lose, when Warrior fans look back on this season 2 or 3 or 10 or 20 years from now- they are going to remember how freaking fun it was to come off a championship season and run the league and kill teams and have Curry sit out 19 NINETEEN!!!! fourth quarters.

I guess i just dont understand thsi championship or bust expression. If i am a warriors fan i definitely remember this year for how much fun it was - how great Curry was when he won the MVP- how the Warriors were the talk of the league the entire year and broke the All-time wins record.

That is some pretty awesome stuff. Any fan base in the league- besides the team that won the title- would LOVE to have that kind of year and would have a heckuva great time while on that journey.

it just makes no sense to me to say- we didnt win a title- this season is a total failure. Its simply not true. Luck plays such a HUGE role....any of 4 teams could of won the title this year out of SAS, OKC, GSW and CLE depending who gets lucky, who stays healthy, who gets the right calls at the right time- so many things that are out of your control. If the only way you judge your team is winning a title- than you are going to be MISERABLE a VAST VAST majority of the time.

Say OKC gets to the Finals- and say they lose to the Cavs....could i say that the OKC was a bust? HELL NO- they had an amazing run, beat the spurs and warriors, and PROABLY played a great and entertaining Final. Imagine trying to tell an OKC fan- your season was a TOTAL FAILURE because you lost to the Cavs in the Finals...it just makes no sense to me.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See....this just doesnt work for me. I get your point- i think their are some merits to your point....

but regardless if the Warriors win or lose, when Warrior fans look back on this season 2 or 3 or 10 or 20 years from now- they are going to remember how freaking fun it was to come off a championship season and run the league and kill teams and have Curry sit out 19 NINETEEN!!!! fourth quarters.

I guess i just dont understand thsi championship or bust expression. If i am a warriors fan i definitely remember this year for how much fun it was - how great Curry was when he won the MVP- how the Warriors were the talk of the league the entire year and broke the All-time wins record.

That is some pretty awesome stuff. Any fan base in the league- besides the team that won the title- would LOVE to have that kind of year and would have a heckuva great time while on that journey.

it just makes no sense to me to say- we didnt win a title- this season is a total failure. Its simply not true. Luck plays such a HUGE role....any of 4 teams could of won the title this year out of SAS, OKC, GSW and CLE depending who gets lucky, who stays healthy, who gets the right calls at the right time- so many things that are out of your control. If the only way you judge your team is winning a title- than you are going to be MISERABLE a VAST VAST majority of the time.

Say OKC gets to the Finals- and say they lose to the Cavs....could i say that the OKC was a bust? HELL NO- they had an amazing run, beat the spurs and warriors, and PROABLY played a great and entertaining Final. Imagine trying to tell an OKC fan- your season was a TOTAL FAILURE because you lost to the Cavs in the Finals...it just makes no sense to me.

I disagree with everything you just posted

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it just makes no sense to me to say- we didnt win a title- this season is a total failure. Its simply not true. Luck plays such a HUGE role....any of 4 teams could of won the title this year out of SAS, OKC, GSW and CLE depending who gets lucky, who stays healthy, who gets the right calls at the right time- so many things that are out of your control.

You're a Cleveland fan. We're conditioned to feel this way as a defense mechanism.

Step outside of that and realize that while Warriors fans certainly had some great times this season, they'd be MIGHTY disappointed about getting bounced out of the playoffs before even reaching The Finals.

Should they not win a championship, in ten years from now, they won't be remembered as the team that won the most games and gave their fans a really fun time. They'll be remembered as the team that won the most games and then shit their pants.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he didn't hack my account. It's clear why Cavs are a title or bust team. But is this not the first time we've heard title or bust for GS? It seems like now since they're losing people are putting 10 on 20.

No, this isn't the first time they we've heard title or bust for the Warriors. They have said it themselves. They said they had something to prove, they have said that they felt disrespected last year and they went out and won 73 games, got the #1 seed for the playoffs and were favored to win the whole thing.

You are literally the only person even trying to say that they aren't a title or bust team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn woj just reported that curry is playing at 70%, he has looked slow last few games. First 2 games he looked better
I hate when injuries becomes an excuse when they are losing. Never comes out when they are winning.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a Cleveland fan. We're conditioned to feel this way as a defense mechanism.

Step outside of that and realize that while Warriors fans certainly had some great times this season, they'd be MIGHTY disappointed about getting bounced out of the playoffs before even reaching The Finals.

Should they not win a championship, in ten years from now, they won't be remembered as the team that won the most games and gave their fans a really fun time. They'll be remembered as the team that won the most games and then shit their pants.
lol...its a fair point...i understand the argument and I without a doubt make allowances because their are a lot of fair points there--- i especially appreciated the CONDITIONED argument, lol......

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Translation = I'm setting things up so that if the Cavs don't win the title again, I can claim they weren't title or bust (again) and pretend they had a great season anyway.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you do. You're a front runner.

Heat, Yankees, Saints. All teams at the top of their respective sports in the late aughts, which I'm sure is when you became such a big fan of theirs.

And what this have to do with the Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, Clipper, and Cavs being championship or bust this season? Just curious

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what this have to do with the Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, Clipper, and Cavs being championship or bust this season? Just curious

What is this, a "stay on topic" post?
  1. We're talking about the Warriors being championship or bust
  2. Wiggy implied that, as a fan, you can still enjoy amazing seasons without championships
  3. I said part of that is from endouring decades of championshipless sports in Cleveland
  4. you said you disagreed with everything Wiggy said about enjoying great, championshipless seasons as a fan
  5. I pointed out that your perspective is from a guy who picks championship teams to be a fan of
It was a pretty linear discussion.

Reactions: LAD

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this, a "stay on topic" post?

1. We're talking about the Warriors being championship or bust
  2. Wiggy implied that, as a fan, you can still enjoy amazing seasons without championships
  3. I said part of that is from endouring decades of championshipless sports in Cleveland
  4. you said you disagreed with everything Wiggy said about enjoying great, championshipless seasons as a fan
  5. I pointed out that your perspective is from a guy who picks championship teams to be a fan of
It was a pretty linear discussion.

I agree with Wiggy point to a certain extent that you can enjoy amazing seasons without a title but that's only if you were not expected to win a title back in September/October. The 2014-2015 Hawks is a great example of this. The Warriors are not. Defending champs who only got better this season. No way as a fan can I enjoy this season after going 73-9 if they don't win the title

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha when did GS become a championship or bust team? I don't recall them guaranteeing not 1, not 2, not 3 & so on. They don't even have the highest salary in the league- Curry makes less than some starters on other teams. LOL

Just stop lol. They were world champions last year, they broke the NBA record for wins and were in the debate for the best team ever, they felt disrespected and they have been the favorites all year to win it all. Just bc you don't guarantee championships doesn't mean you aren't expected to win it. If you are in the discussion for the best regular season team or team in general discussion, you are expected to win 100% and IMO it is a failure not bc of being the favorite but the domination they displayed and records being broken by not just the team but by some players.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you do. You're a front runner.

Heat, Yankees, Saints. All teams at the top of their respective sports in the late aughts, which I'm sure is when you became such a big fan of theirs.

Don't forget Notre Dame.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pointed out that your perspective is from a guy who picks championship teams to be a fan of

This is what fans of teams who have never won anything try to use to make themselves feel better about their teams failures and it's about as lame as it gets.

All of the teams that I am a fan of, Lakers, Dodgers, Seahawks and USC, I have been a fan of since I was 8 years old, was just getting into sports and really had no idea about championships, etc. with the exception of the Seahawks. I became a Seahawks fan when the Rams left for St. Louis having never won a Super Bowl. I then chose the Seahawks, who also had never even been to the Super Bowl.

I've stayed with all of those teams through thick and thin.

But I guess I'm just a front runner because the teams I chose actually won championships.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know, I guess from a Laker's fan perspective, I totally see the title or bust narrative(especially when you win 73). Even OKC has turned into title or bust for me. It didn't look like they had enough to compete with SA/GS at first, but given how that team looks like a juggernaut now(especially with 2 mega stars), it's title or bust for me. I mean, they've pulled off great feats along the way, and that's all well and nice, but losing to Lebron(again) is not something that I'd be able to live with. For me, it'd sort of be like if the Lakers lost to the Celtics in 2010 again, or going back even further, it'd sort of resemble the Lakers loss to Boston in 08 as well. They beat the defending champion Spurs in 5 that year, but no one remembers that from that year. The only team for me in these playoffs that escapes this narrative is the Raptors. It was a question as to if they'd make it out of the first round, and they've taken the 10-0 Cavs to atleast 6 games. They can lose the next two games, and be considered as a success

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so much needs to go right to win a title...

health...playoff matchups....getting the calls at the right time.

No matter what - at the beginning of the playoffs- you KNOW..I KNOW- the Cavs will probably get fucked by the refs AT LEAST once, maybe 2 or 3 times. Pretty much every team does for the most part here or there. Its why i think its futile complaining about them- it just serves no purpose. Everyone gets fucked by the refs once in a while.

Just hope you are lucky enough to get your breaks at the right time in the right games.

Ill tell ya- if OKC wins the title this year- and theoretically has to go through the Spurs, Warriors, Cavs....i mean holy shit....thats as hard as any road i can remember.

Lets just hope tomorow the Cavs take care of business.L

I liked everything but the bolded.